From: Joe Knapka
Subject: LTK under ECL on Linux
Is anyone using LTK with ECL, under Linux?  This combination
is not working for me.   LTK builds and loads fine, but
(ltktest) complains about the "vscroll" slot of a
scrolled-canvas being unbound.

I'm about ready to give up on ECL and try SBCL, but LTK
does claim to be supported on ECL, so I'm wondering
if anyone has had success with this combination.

Thanks,

-- JK

From: Peter Herth
Subject: Re: LTK under ECL on Linux
Joe Knapka wrote:
> Is anyone using LTK with ECL, under Linux?  This combination
> is not working for me.   LTK builds and loads fine, but
> (ltktest) complains about the "vscroll" slot of a
> scrolled-canvas being unbound.
>
> I'm about ready to give up on ECL and try SBCL, but LTK
> does claim to be supported on ECL, so I'm wondering
> if anyone has had success with this combination.

This is a very strange error. As this part of the code is
absolutely portable, I cannot see a possible explanation. Which
versions of Ltk/ECL and Tcl/Tk are you using? (Try also "which wish"
at the shell and tell me what it says. Finally a copy of the
error message might give some hints.

Peter

--
Ltk, the easy lisp gui http://www.peter-herth.de/ltk/
From: Joe Knapka
Peter Herth wrote:

> Joe Knapka wrote:
>
>> Is anyone using LTK with ECL, under Linux?  This combination
>> is not working for me.   LTK builds and loads fine, but
>> (ltktest) complains about the "vscroll" slot of a
>> scrolled-canvas being unbound.
>>
>> I'm about ready to give up on ECL and try SBCL, but LTK
>> does claim to be supported on ECL, so I'm wondering
>> if anyone has had success with this combination.
>

> This is a very strange error. As this part of the code is
> absolutely portable, I cannot see a possible explanation. Which
> versions of Ltk/ECL and Tcl/Tk are you using? (Try also "which wish"
> at the shell and tell me what it says. Finally a copy of the
> error message might give some hints.

Thank you for your reply, Peter.

My ECL is version 0.9i, which I believe is the latest
available. Tcl/Tk is version 8.4.  The OS is Fedora Core 2.91
(which was an FC3 release candidate). A complete ECL session
in which the error occurs is available here:

http://www.kneuro.net/ltk-error.txt

(scroll all the way to the bottom; it's too long to
include in a usenet post).

If there is anything further I can do, please let me
know.

Thanks,

-- JK
From: Juanjo
Joe Knapka schrieb:
> Peter Herth wrote:
>
> > Joe Knapka wrote:
> >
> >> Is anyone using LTK with ECL, under Linux?  This combination
> >> is not working for me.   LTK builds and loads fine, but
> >> (ltktest) complains about the "vscroll" slot of a
> >> scrolled-canvas being unbound.
> >
> > This is a very strange error. As this part of the code is
> > absolutely portable, I cannot see a possible explanation.[...]
>
> My ECL is version 0.9i, which I believe is the latest
> available. Tcl/Tk is version 8.4.  The OS is Fedora Core 2.91
> (which was an FC3 release candidate). A complete ECL session
> in which the error occurs is available here:
> [...]
> http://www.kneuro.net/ltk-error.txt

I have been able to reproduce the error message. I am looking into that
right now. Basically the problems arise with just the statement

LTK> (make-instance 'scrolled-canvas :borderwidth 2 :relief :raised)

and some initialize-instance method accessing the vscroll slot.

Juanjo
From: Rob Thorpe
Joe Knapka wrote:
> Peter Herth wrote:
>
> > Joe Knapka wrote:
> >
> >> Is anyone using LTK with ECL, under Linux?  This combination
> >> is not working for me.   LTK builds and loads fine, but
> >> (ltktest) complains about the "vscroll" slot of a
> >> scrolled-canvas being unbound.
> >>
> >> I'm about ready to give up on ECL and try SBCL, but LTK
> >> does claim to be supported on ECL, so I'm wondering
> >> if anyone has had success with this combination.
> >

> > This is a very strange error. As this part of the code is
> > absolutely portable, I cannot see a possible explanation. Which
> > versions of Ltk/ECL and Tcl/Tk are you using? (Try also "which wish"
> > at the shell and tell me what it says. Finally a copy of the
> > error message might give some hints.
>
> Thank you for your reply, Peter.
>
> My ECL is version 0.9i, which I believe is the latest
> available. Tcl/Tk is version 8.4.  The OS is Fedora Core 2.91
> (which was an FC3 release candidate). A complete ECL session
> in which the error occurs is available here:
>
> http://www.kneuro.net/ltk-error.txt
>
> (scroll all the way to the bottom; it's too long to
> include in a usenet post).
>
> If there is anything further I can do, please let me
> know.

How odd, it works for me.  I have it working using MS Windows XP, ECL
0.9h and ltk 0.90.  I also have it working using Linux, ECL 0.9f and
ltk-0.90.

I think this is a bug in ECL 0.9i not present in the f or h releases.
From: Juanjo
Joe Knapka schrieb:
> Peter Herth wrote:
> > Joe Knapka wrote:
> >
> >> Is anyone using LTK with ECL, under Linux?  This combination
> >> is not working for me.  [...]
> >
> > This is a very strange error. As this part of the code is
> > absolutely portable, I cannot see a possible explanation.[...]
>
> My ECL is version 0.9i, which I believe is the latest
> available. Tcl/Tk is version 8.4.  The OS is Fedora Core 2.91
> (which was an FC3 release candidate). A complete ECL session
> in which the error occurs is available here:
>
> http://www.kneuro.net/ltk-error.txt

As Robert already pointed out, this is a problem with 0.9i. In this
release we introduced slot-definition objects and reimplemented slot
accessors using them. There was a problem with the variable capture in
the closures that actually implement these accessors. I have fixed this
today in the CVS tree. Sorry for the problem.

Juanjo
From: Joe Knapka
Juanjo wrote:

> Joe Knapka schrieb:
>
>>Peter Herth wrote:

>>>This is a very strange error. As this part of the code is
>>>absolutely portable, I cannot see a possible explanation.[...]
>>
>>My ECL is version 0.9i, which I believe is the latest
>>available. Tcl/Tk is version 8.4.  The OS is Fedora Core 2.91
>>(which was an FC3 release candidate). A complete ECL session
>>in which the error occurs is available here:
>>
>>http://www.kneuro.net/ltk-error.txt
>

> As Robert already pointed out, this is a problem with 0.9i. In this
> release we introduced slot-definition objects and reimplemented slot
> accessors using them. There was a problem with the variable capture in
> the closures that actually implement these accessors. I have fixed this
> today in the CVS tree. Sorry for the problem.

Thanks to everyone.  I'll try the bleeding-edge ECL.

-- JK