From: mindful
Subject: top 3 books to be used by a .net programmer to learn lisp.
The World is collapsing, you are a Java, C++, C, C# Programmer, and
Common Lisp will be the only language available after Armageddon.
What are the top 3 books an Oracle must recommend to read?

From: Ralph Allan Rice
mindful wrote:
> The World is collapsing, you are a Java, C++, C, C# Programmer, and
> Common Lisp will be the only language available after Armageddon.
> What are the top 3 books an Oracle must recommend to read?

I took this approach:

1. Practical Common Lisp (Seibel)
2. ANSI Common Lisp (Graham)

I also have:
3. The Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs (Abelson, et
al)

But, because it's Scheme (not CL), it's disqualified. :-)

So, for my next book, I think I am gonna pick:

3. On Lisp (Graham)

--
Ralph
From: ··········@gmail.com
I started playing with CL three months back.  After a lot of trial and
error, I think this sequence should work:

I would definitely start with Practical Common Lisp, because it is a
beginner level book but also has very practical examples.

Right now I am reading ANSI Common Lisp, which talks about compiler
optimizations and debugging, not to be found in other books.

I am also simultaneously reading SICP, which is in Scheme, but once you
have a grip on Lisp, its all good.

"On Lisp" and Norvig's PAIP seem a little advanced, so I would leave
them for last.

The important thing is to keep working the examples in the books as you
read them, and if you have any questions, post to this group.  These
guys are awesome.  All my questions have been answered until now.

sanket.

From: Kaz Kylheku
mindful wrote:
> The World is collapsing, you are a Java, C++, C, C# Programmer, and
> Common Lisp will be the only language available after Armageddon.
> What are the top 3 books an Oracle must recommend to read?

To at least 9,999 out of every 10,000 of such programmers, I would
recommend these three:

  - ISO/IEC International Standard 14882, Programming Languages-C++
  - The Java Language Specification
  - C# Language Specification

What better way to say good-bye to a programming language than to
actually discover for the first time what it is actually all about:
that the behavior isn't just whatever happens on your platform when you
are single-stepping through the debugger.
From: Pedro Kröger
"mindful" <·····················@gmail.com> writes:

> The World is collapsing, you are a Java, C++, C, C# Programmer, and
> Common Lisp will be the only language available after Armageddon.
> What are the top 3 books an Oracle must recommend to read?

Practical Common Lisp (PCL)
Paradigms of Artificial Intelligence Programming (PAIP)
Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs (SICP)

Pedro Kroger
From: Jimka
The books I read, in order are:

1. ANSI Common Lisp (Graham)
2. Object Oriented Programming, the CLOS Perspective (Keene)
3. Paradigms of Artificial Intelligence Programming (Norvig)
4. Art of the Meta-Object Protocol (Kiczales)

If you are a Java/C++/C# programmer because you are a fan of OO
I'd recommend 2 and 4 from that list.

You asked for 3. I gave you 4, and recommended 2.  Sorry that does
not exactly meet your specification :-(

-jim

From: Ken Tilton
> mindful wrote:
>
>>The World is collapsing, you are a Java, C++, C, C# Programmer, and
>>Common Lisp will be the only language available after Armageddon.
>>What are the top 3 books an Oracle must recommend to read?

"Lucky Jim", Kingsley Amis
"The Glory of Their Time", Lawrence Ritter
"Old Path White Clouds", Thich Nhat Hanh

You do not need books to learn Lisp, you just need a REPL and the HyperSpec:

    http://www.lispworks.com/documentation/HyperSpec/Front/Contents.htm

kt

From: Stefan Scholl
mindful <·····················@gmail.com> wrote:
> The World is collapsing, you are a Java, C++, C, C# Programmer, and
> Common Lisp will be the only language available after Armageddon.
> What are the top 3 books an Oracle must recommend to read?

Oolon Colluphid's trilogy of IT blockbusters:

"Where Lisp Went Wrong"
"Some More of Lisp's Greatest Mistakes"
"What is this Lisp Language Anyway?"

--
Web (en): http://www.no-spoon.de/ -*- Web (de): http://www.frell.de/
From: Bill Atkins
"mindful" <·····················@gmail.com> writes:

> The World is collapsing, you are a Java, C++, C, C# Programmer, and
> Common Lisp will be the only language available after Armageddon.
> What are the top 3 books an Oracle must recommend to read?

- Practical Common Lisp
- Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
- Paradigms of AI Programming
- The Art of the Metaobject Protocol

(I can't pare that list down to three).
From: boating12345
I also found the Peter Seibel Video useful.

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=448441135356213813&q=peter+seibel

I used Practical Common Lisp and was very lucky to spend some time with
some really good Lisp programmers in the USA!

Paul
http://www.hyperstring.net
From: André Thieme
mindful schrieb:
> The World is collapsing, you are a Java, C++, C, C# Programmer, and
> Common Lisp will be the only language available after Armageddon.
> What are the top 3 books an Oracle must recommend to read?

1. Practical Common Lisp
2. On Lisp
3. Paradigms of Artificial Intelligence Programming

Andr�