From: Alok
Subject: newbie request for lisp webapp project idea
Hi,
   I am new to Common Lisp but am an experienced programmer. I want
 to learn Lisp by developing a useful open source web application
 in Lisp in the next year or two. I like the http://paste.lisp.org and
 http://meme.b9.com lisp web applications and want to write
something like them which people can use.

   But I also want the application that I write to provide library/
package which may be missing or does not have a very good in
implementation in Common Lisp.

   Please suggest some ideas for such a project.

Alok

From: Pascal Costanza
Subject: Re: newbie request for lisp webapp project idea
Alok wrote:
> Hi,
>    I am new to Common Lisp but am an experienced programmer. I want
>  to learn Lisp by developing a useful open source web application
>  in Lisp in the next year or two. I like the http://paste.lisp.org and
>  http://meme.b9.com lisp web applications and want to write
> something like them which people can use.
>
>    But I also want the application that I write to provide library/
> package which may be missing or does not have a very good in
> implementation in Common Lisp.
>
>    Please suggest some ideas for such a project.

An API for AJAX-style web user interfaces could be interesting. So for
example, implement a web-based IDE for Common Lisp. [1]

Pascal

[1] just brainstorming ;)

--
My website: http://p-cos.net
From: Alok
Pascal Costanza <ยทยท@p-cos.net> writes:

> Alok wrote:
> > Hi,
> >    I am new to Common Lisp but am an experienced programmer. I want
> >  to learn Lisp by developing a useful open source web application
> > in Lisp in the next year or two. I like the http://paste.lisp.org and
> >  http://meme.b9.com lisp web applications and want to write
> > something like them which people can use.
> >    But I also want the application that I write to provide library/
> > package which may be missing or does not have a very good in
> > implementation in Common Lisp.
> >    Please suggest some ideas for such a project.
>
> An API for AJAX-style web user interfaces could be interesting.

I took a quick look at Cliki and found cl-ajax http://www.cliki.net/cl-ajax
. The description says it is a common lisp library for remote invocations
 of functions through Javascript. Would that suit your needs?

> So for example, implement a web-based IDE for Common Lisp. [1]

I think SLIME can connect through TCP/IP Sockets to remote machines. So a
browser based IDE may not be that useful. However an introduction to CL via
a browser based tutorial would be very cool. See similar introduction for
the Ruby language here http://tryruby.hobix.com/

> Pascal

I am thinking of an Atom parser for CL. Something like the feedparser library
http://www.feedparser.org for Python. I did have a look at Cliki and
cl-user.net for Atom or RSS APIs but could not find any. I think this could
be a good starter project for me.

best regards,
Alok Bisani