From: Xah Lee
Subject: logo design
recently on #emacs irc of freenode, there's a discussion of a logo of
planet emacsen site.

I made some comments about such logo:

http://paste.lisp.org/display/28901

I have brought this topic here here before... that i think LISP really
need to have a logo. I'm aware of “made with alien technology lisp”
web-badge, but that is a lisp-peddling badge, not a lisp logo proper.

Python, did not really have a logo. I made a plaint more than once in
different periods of times to comp.lang.python. Them tech geeking
morons and assholes, as expected, made irrelevant and incoherent cries.
But look now, Python now has a logo inargurated around 2005, and is a
well-designed one.

For examples (most top quality) logos, see:
http://xahlee.org/UnixResource_dir/lambda_logo.html
(the lambda logo tour)

http://xahlee.org/UnixResource_dir/freebooks.html
(the unix pestilence)

http://xahlee.org/UnixResource_dir/complang.html
(computer language logos)

Again: the primary purpose of this message, is to beseach that the
power-that-be of lispers, seriously think about getting themselves a
official logo. Thanks.

  Xah
  ···@xahlee.org
∑ http://xahlee.org/

From: Frank Buss
Subject: Re: logo design
Xah Lee wrote:

> I have brought this topic here here before... that i think LISP really
> need to have a logo. I'm aware of �made with alien technology lisp�
> web-badge, but that is a lisp-peddling badge, not a lisp logo proper.

There are already many different logos, if you don't like the "made with
secret alien technology" text:

http://www.lisperati.com/logo.html
http://www.normal-null.de/lisp_logo.html

--
Frank Buss, ··@frank-buss.de
From: Miles Bader
Frank Buss <··@frank-buss.de> writes:
> There are already many different logos, if you don't like the "made with
> secret alien technology" text:

I don't think any of Xahlee's suggested logos are very good (though
neither are any of the the alien or lizard logos on those pages) , but
the _idea_ of lambda as the main graphical element of a lisp logo seems
so obvious it hardly seems worth discussing...

-Miles
--
The car has become... an article of dress without which we feel uncertain,
unclad, and incomplete.  [Marshall McLuhan, Understanding Media, 1964]
From: John Thingstad
On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 16:36:48 +0100, Miles Bader <·····@gnu.org> wrote:

> Frank Buss <··@frank-buss.de> writes:
>> There are already many different logos, if you don't like the "made with
>> secret alien technology" text:
>
> I don't think any of Xahlee's suggested logos are very good (though
> neither are any of the the alien or lizard logos on those pages) , but
> the _idea_ of lambda as the main graphical element of a lisp logo seems
> so obvious it hardly seems worth discussing...
>
> -Miles

Like these..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scheme_programming_language

From: John Thingstad
On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 22:24:59 +0100, John Thingstad
<··············@chello.no> wrote:

> Like these..
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scheme_programming_language

Made a new icon for my page by the way.

http://home.chello.no/~jthing/

Basically played around the the 'knights of labda calculus' pin logo.
Not entiry happy with it, but it was a bich to get that far.
Note the lambda and the recursive shield.

From: ············@gmail.com
On Oct 28, 10:24 pm, "Xah Lee" <····@xahlee.org> wrote:
> I have brought this topic here here before... that i think LISP really
> need to have a logo.

No offense intended, but were you around in 1959 or so?  The way
that time passes in the computer science world, having a logo for
Lisp is like having a logo for the abacus ;)  Besides, who are _we_
to go back and impose our modern ideas of what looks "slick" and
pretty on the great thinkers of an earlier age?  Should we make a
logo for the Pythagorean Theorem or for Newton's Three Laws?

> Python, did not really have a logo. I made a plaint more than once in
> different periods of times to comp.lang.python. Them tech geeking
> morons and assholes, as expected, made irrelevant and incoherent cries.

I personally have a lot of respect for Python hackers and I think
you should too.  We Lispers should show our greatness by not
stooping to such insults ;)

mfh
From: Xah Lee
No personal offense intended, but human animal's history is what? 3000
years at least in recorded history? And, all you can think of is what,
the view points of a fraction of your personal life span?

Have you looked into, the history of fashions, icons, their roles and
social significance, before you embarked and embraced on your above-it
attitude about why should or should not your pet language lisp have a
logo?

As per more detailed reasons on the meaning of logos, it's social
significance, its role in modern society, the defining characteristics
of logo design, and why LISP needs a logo, i'll post a reply to this
thread wthin a month.

  Xah
  ···@xahlee.org
∑ http://xahlee.org/

From: Ken Tilton
Xah Lee wrote:
> No personal offense intended, but human animal's history is what? 3000
> years at least in recorded history? And, all you can think of is what,
> the view points of a fraction of your personal life span?
>
> Have you looked into, the history of fashions, icons, their roles and
> social significance, before you embarked and embraced on your above-it
> attitude about why should or should not your pet language lisp have a
> logo?
>
> As per more detailed reasons on the meaning of logos, it's social
> significance, its role in modern society, the defining characteristics
> of logo design, and why LISP needs a logo,

Small problem. You forget that Ron Garret wants us to change the name of
  Common Lisp as the sure-fire way to make it more popular (well, hang
on, he says it is necessary, not sufficient. Anyway...) I do not think
we can safely pick a new logo until we have our new name.

Of course if you look at the way the acronym tail has started wagging
the organization name dog, maybe we should be completely idiotic and
pick the logo first and then try to come up with a suitable name.

I scare myself sometimes.

hth, kenny

From: Ed Symanzik
From: Ken Tilton
Ed Symanzik wrote:
> Don't forget a jingle.  Nothing sticks in your head like a catchy tune.

Didn't someone just (past month/two?) post a URL to an entire Lisp anthem?

And a mascot like Joe Camel to suck in the kiddies, gotta have a mascot.

kt

From: ········@gmail.com
Ken Tilton wrote:
> Ed Symanzik wrote:
> > Don't forget a jingle.  Nothing sticks in your head like a catchy tune.
> Didn't someone just (past month/two?) post a URL to an entire Lisp anthem?

Just keep on reading and you'll see a tale,
a tale of our faithful Lisp.
Which started out at MIT,
as a way to do math tricks.
The author was a mighty lambda man,
who really liked parens.
His Lisp had a cdr and a car it got,
from a se-ven-oh-four......
When the coding started getting tough,
our lisp was never lost.
Beacuse of the sexpers that they chose back then,
we got macros at not cost; we got macros at not cost.
Our Lisp took hold of a motley bunch of random hacker geeks,
with Guy Steele, RMS too, Gerry Sussman and the rest,
here on CADADAR Isle.
From: Rob Warnock
| And a mascot like Joe Camel to suck in the kiddies, gotta have a mascot.
+---------------

You mean like Manfred Spiller's lizard?
<http://www.normal-null.de/lisp_logo.html>

I like the lizard. But then, I like the Geico gecko, too.
And I like Common Lisp, too. Guess I'm weird, hunh?  ;-}

-Rob

-----
Rob Warnock			<····@rpw3.org>
627 26th Avenue			<URL:http://rpw3.org/>
San Mateo, CA 94403		(650)572-2607
From: Ken Tilton
> | And a mascot like Joe Camel to suck in the kiddies, gotta have a mascot.
> +---------------
>
> You mean like Manfred Spiller's lizard?
> <http://www.normal-null.de/lisp_logo.html>

Gosh, I am sorry, that is just plain awful. And no matter what Mom says,
I absolutely /love/ the yin-yang symbol, so that logo must really suck.

> I like the lizard.

No, you don't, you are just saying that. Think again.

> But then, I like the Geico gecko, too.

Everybody likes the GG. It has an australian accent.

> And I like Common Lisp, too. Guess I'm weird, hunh?  ;-}

I was thinking "doomed".

hth, kenny

From: alex23
Xah Lee wrote:
> No personal offense intended, but human animal's history is what? 3000
> years at least in recorded history? And, all you can think of is what,
> the view points of a fraction of your personal life span?

Thank god evolution spat you out to lead us all to the light, huh?

No personal offense intended, but you're a boring, elitist prick.

- alex23
From: Ken Tilton
alex23 wrote:
> Xah Lee wrote:
>
>>No personal offense intended, but human animal's history is what? 3000
>>years at least in recorded history? And, all you can think of is what,
>>the view points of a fraction of your personal life span?
>

> Thank god evolution spat you out to lead us all to the light, huh?
>
> No personal offense intended, but you're a boring, elitist prick.

Actually, no, Xah is pretty cool, give him a chance.

hth, kt

From: Geoffrey Summerhayes
Ken Tilton wrote:
> alex23 wrote:
> > Xah Lee wrote:
> >
> >>No personal offense intended, but human animal's history is what? 3000
> >>years at least in recorded history? And, all you can think of is what,
> >>the view points of a fraction of your personal life span?
> >

> > Thank god evolution spat you out to lead us all to the light, huh?
> >
> > No personal offense intended, but you're a boring, elitist prick.
>
> Actually, no, Xah is pretty cool, give him a chance.

Yeah, this still seems kind of silly though. Implementations,
companies and user groups have logos, not languages.

Picture this: Hey, I'm switching to COBOL because its new
logo looks great on t-shirts and mugs.

----
Geoff
From: Lars Rune Nøstdal
On Wed, 01 Nov 2006 20:48:12 -0800, Geoffrey Summerhayes wrote:

> Picture this: Hey, I'm switching to COBOL because its new
> logo looks great on t-shirts and mugs.

Maybe the extra funding would improve "COBOL" and its libraries faster by
letting a developer work more often on it.

I'm not totally serious; but maybe some way of donating money to further
improvement of SBCL/Slime/something-cool-and-universally-needed-here would
be OK or something.

..I need a new t-shirt anyways; the Ubuntu t-shirt has gone missing.. :(

--
Lars Rune Nøstdal
http://lars.nostdal.org/
From: Bill Atkins
Lars Rune N�stdal <···········@gmail.com> writes:

> Maybe the extra funding would improve "COBOL" and its libraries faster by
> letting a developer work more often on it.

The commercial Lisps have a scheme that resembles this.

;-)
From: Lars Rune Nøstdal
On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 00:37:57 -0500, Bill Atkins wrote:

> Lars Rune Nøstdal <···········@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Maybe the extra funding would improve "COBOL" and its libraries faster by
>> letting a developer work more often on it.
>
> The commercial Lisps have a scheme that resembles this.
>
> ;-)

Yeah, but they lack some goodies too.

I wrote a rant related to this some time ago btw.:
  http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.lisp/msg/3342eb8729e9d936

Somehow combining the schemes from "both sides" would be cool.

--
Lars Rune Nøstdal
http://lars.nostdal.org/
From: Lars Rune Nøstdal
On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 06:08:00 +0100, Lars Rune Nøstdal wrote:

> On Wed, 01 Nov 2006 20:48:12 -0800, Geoffrey Summerhayes wrote:
>
>> Picture this: Hey, I'm switching to COBOL because its new
>> logo looks great on t-shirts and mugs.
>
> Maybe the extra funding would improve "COBOL" and its libraries faster by
> letting a developer work more often on it.

(and you'd switch to "COBOL" later down the road because of this)

From: Ari Johnson
"Xah Lee" <···@xahlee.org> writes:

...another cross-post that epitomizes irrelevance and demonstrates an
inability to learn from past reprimands and other consequences.

> recently on #emacs irc of freenode, there's a discussion of a logo of
> planet emacsen site.
>
> I made some comments about such logo:
>
> http://paste.lisp.org/display/28901

Did they care?  If not, what leads you to believe that continuing on
the same course would uncover anyone who does?

> I have brought this topic here here before... that i think LISP really
> need to have a logo. I'm aware of “made with alien technology lisp”
> web-badge, but that is a lisp-peddling badge, not a lisp logo proper.

Do you want a logo for LISP or for lisp?  What is the difference
between a badge and a logo in the sense you use the terms here?

> Python, did not really have a logo. I made a plaint more than once in
> different periods of times to comp.lang.python. Them tech geeking
> morons and assholes, as expected, made irrelevant and incoherent cries.
> But look now, Python now has a logo inargurated around 2005, and is a
> well-designed one.

What is a plaint?  Do you really know what relevance or coherence are?
How about bitterness?

> For examples (most top quality) logos, see:
> http://xahlee.org/UnixResource_dir/lambda_logo.html
> (the lambda logo tour)

Speaking of peddling...

> http://xahlee.org/UnixResource_dir/freebooks.html
> (the unix pestilence)

...and being an asshole who makes irrelevant and incoherent cries...

> http://xahlee.org/UnixResource_dir/complang.html
> (computer language logos)

...and more peddling...

> Again: the primary purpose of this message, is to beseach that the
> power-that-be of lispers, seriously think about getting themselves a
> official logo. Thanks.

Who is this singular "power-that-be of lispers"?  Oh, wait...is that
plural?  I'm confused.  Please help us understand what you want.
Maybe then it will be possible for someone here to help direct you
where you ought to go.