From: erk
Subject: Hunchentoot in SBCL on Intel OS X
Thanks to all for the responses to my Intel OS X newbie topic earlier.
Based on recommendations, I'm trying Hunchentoot on SBCL, and running
into a few issues. Any comments would be appreciated. Is there another
sbcl-specific group besides sbcl-devel I could post this to?

The below happen whether I use asdf or asdf-install (although with
asdf-install I need to skip a number of gpg checks - or at least I
chose to take the minor risk to get to the good stuff faster.)

1.
debugger invoked on a CFFI:LOAD-FOREIGN-LIBRARY-ERROR:
  Unable to load foreign library: /usr/lib/libssl.so

Type HELP for debugger help, or (SB-EXT:QUIT) to exit from SBCL.

restarts (invokable by number or by possibly-abbreviated name):
  0: [RETRY    ] Try loading the foreign library again.
  1: [USE-VALUE] Use another library instead.

At this point, I can simply specify ("/usr/lib/libssl.dylib") for
USE-VALUE, and all is well. Is there a better way?

2. This one I'm more confused about.

; compiling file
"/usr/local/lib/sbcl/site/hunchentoot-0.4.4/port-sbcl.lisp" (written 06
OCT 2006 01:07:22 PM):
; compiling (IN-PACKAGE :HUNCHENTOOT)
; compiling (ERROR "This library needs a version of SBCL with Unicode
and thread support.")
debugger invoked on a SIMPLE-ERROR:
  This library needs a version of SBCL with Unicode and thread support.

Type HELP for debugger help, or (SB-EXT:QUIT) to exit from SBCL.

restarts (invokable by number or by possibly-abbreviated name):
  0: [RETRY ] Retry performing #<ASDF:COMPILE-OP NIL {11E8A5E1}> on
              #<ASDF:CL-SOURCE-FILE "port-sbcl" {117D1B11}>.
  1: [ACCEPT] Continue, treating #<ASDF:COMPILE-OP NIL {11E8A5E1}> on
              #<ASDF:CL-SOURCE-FILE "port-sbcl" {117D1B11}> as having
been
              successful.

Does SBCL lack thread support, as well as unicode? I'd thought
asdf-install would download necessary dependencies, which could address
Unicode... but I don't know about the threads.

Several people mentioned that Hunchentoot worked well on SBCL on Intel
OS X - is there something I'm missing in my environment? Some simple
dependency? Do I need to add things to *FEATURES* ?

3. On another issue entirely: in order to install anything via
asdf-install, I need to use "sudo sbcl" for site-wide packages. I can
only do that from the command line, because if I use emacs or Aquamacs,
the SBCL doesn't run as sudo. If I change my .emacs to use "sudo
/usr/local/bin/sbcl" as the inferior lisp, the emacs listener doesn't
properly connect to it, so all I get is an inferior lisp shell to use.

Has anyone else run into this, and know how to get around it?

Thanks again,

- Eric

From: Lars Rune Nøstdal
Subject: Re: Hunchentoot in SBCL on Intel OS X
On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 08:58:07 -0700, erk wrote:

> Thanks to all for the responses to my Intel OS X newbie topic earlier.
> Based on recommendations, I'm trying Hunchentoot on SBCL, and running
> into a few issues. Any comments would be appreciated. Is there another
> sbcl-specific group besides sbcl-devel I could post this to?
>
> The below happen whether I use asdf or asdf-install (although with
> asdf-install I need to skip a number of gpg checks - or at least I
> chose to take the minor risk to get to the good stuff faster.)
>

> 1.
> debugger invoked on a CFFI:LOAD-FOREIGN-LIBRARY-ERROR:
>   Unable to load foreign library: /usr/lib/libssl.so
>
> Type HELP for debugger help, or (SB-EXT:QUIT) to exit from SBCL.
>
> restarts (invokable by number or by possibly-abbreviated name):
>   0: [RETRY    ] Try loading the foreign library again.
>   1: [USE-VALUE] Use another library instead.
>
> At this point, I can simply specify ("/usr/lib/libssl.dylib") for
> USE-VALUE, and all is well. Is there a better way?
>

> 2. This one I'm more confused about.

> ; compiling file
> "/usr/local/lib/sbcl/site/hunchentoot-0.4.4/port-sbcl.lisp" (written 06
> OCT 2006 01:07:22 PM):
> ; compiling (IN-PACKAGE :HUNCHENTOOT)
> ; compiling (ERROR "This library needs a version of SBCL with Unicode
> and thread support.")
> debugger invoked on a SIMPLE-ERROR:
>   This library needs a version of SBCL with Unicode and thread support.
>
> Type HELP for debugger help, or (SB-EXT:QUIT) to exit from SBCL.
>
> restarts (invokable by number or by possibly-abbreviated name):
>   0: [RETRY ] Retry performing #<ASDF:COMPILE-OP NIL {11E8A5E1}> on
>               #<ASDF:CL-SOURCE-FILE "port-sbcl" {117D1B11}>.
>   1: [ACCEPT] Continue, treating #<ASDF:COMPILE-OP NIL {11E8A5E1}> on
>               #<ASDF:CL-SOURCE-FILE "port-sbcl" {117D1B11}> as having
> been
>               successful.
>
> Does SBCL lack thread support, as well as unicode? I'd thought
> asdf-install would download necessary dependencies, which could address
> Unicode... but I don't know about the threads.

I think SBCL-threads are only supported on Linux x86/x86-64:

  http://www.sbcl.org/manual/Threading.html

..but I might be wrong about this - I saw some mention of threads on Win32
for example.

--
Lars Rune Nøstdal
http://lars.nostdal.org/
From: ·········@random-state.net
SBCL supports Unicode by default.

Threads are currently supported on x86 and x86-64 Linux and Solaris,
and _experimental_ thread support exists for OS X (x86 only).

To build SBCL with threads:

$ cd to-your-sbcl-source-tree

$ echo "(lambda (f) (cons :sb-thread f))" >
customize-target-features.lisp

$ sh make.sh

(Read INSTALL for details.)

...and as always, SBCL questions are best asked and answered on eg.
sbcl-help mailing list.

> 3. On another issue entirely: in order to install anything via
> asdf-install, I need to use "sudo sbcl" for site-wide packages. I can

AFAIK most people don't asdf-install lisp packages site-wide on their
development boxes. If you really want to do it, start Lisp as root,
install what you want, exit, and then run it as a regular user.

Cheers,

  -- Nikodemus Siivola
From: Vilts
Hey,

I'm not sure if this helps you out with SBCL, but Bill Clementson has
one post where he dealt with libssl.so and OpenMCL problems. Maybe this
will give some ideas:

http://bc.tech.coop/blog/061013.html

Rgds,
Viljo