From: boating12345
Subject: SBCL clustering and UBUNTU
Dear All,

I'm with hyperstring.net and we've been developing a web server called
LEWIS using allegroserve and SBCL to support various different client
applications such as a poker game, ajax windowing etc etc etc

Anyway - we are looking at scalability issues and are shortly going to
buy a number of servers to cluster together under Ubuntu however we've
no experience of this, has anyone done it?

The problem is we need to run SBCL in such a way that if one server
fell over the others would carry on.

Also I'm thinking about doing LISP training courses, this would be
mainly because of my personal love for the language. However we are not
sure of the target market size and if people would be interested, we
are based in Uxbridge, London and the course would be at our offices
here.

I would cover how to build an application server in SBCL probably with
UBUNTU, course would probably be a couple of days and would include
some of the libraries we use to run our app. servers.

Anyway hope you guys & girls can help.

(if you want to see our LISP BASED LEWIS ajax server running try the
website. It's pretty new and MAY fall over in a heap of stack
overflows!)

Paul
www.hyperstring.net

From: Bill Atkins
Subject: Re: SBCL clustering and UBUNTU
"boating12345" <············@hyperstring.net> writes:

> Dear All,
>
> I'm with hyperstring.net and we've been developing a web server called
> LEWIS using allegroserve and SBCL to support various different client
> applications such as a poker game, ajax windowing etc etc etc
>
> Anyway - we are looking at scalability issues and are shortly going to
> buy a number of servers to cluster together under Ubuntu however we've
> no experience of this, has anyone done it?
>
> The problem is we need to run SBCL in such a way that if one server
> fell over the others would carry on.
>
> Also I'm thinking about doing LISP training courses, this would be
> mainly because of my personal love for the language. However we are not
> sure of the target market size and if people would be interested, we
> are based in Uxbridge, London and the course would be at our offices
> here.
>
> I would cover how to build an application server in SBCL probably with
> UBUNTU, course would probably be a couple of days and would include
> some of the libraries we use to run our app. servers.
>
> Anyway hope you guys & girls can help.
>
> (if you want to see our LISP BASED LEWIS ajax server running try the
> website. It's pretty new and MAY fall over in a heap of stack
> overflows!)
>

> Paul
> www.hyperstring.net

You should use the modern form "Lisp" (as opposed to "LISP") on your
website.
From: boating12345
Bill Atkins wrote:
> "boating12345" <············@hyperstring.net> writes:
>
> > Dear All,
> >
> > I'm with hyperstring.net and we've been developing a web server called
> > LEWIS using allegroserve and SBCL to support various different client
> > applications such as a poker game, ajax windowing etc etc etc
> >
> > Anyway - we are looking at scalability issues and are shortly going to
> > buy a number of servers to cluster together under Ubuntu however we've
> > no experience of this, has anyone done it?
> >
> > The problem is we need to run SBCL in such a way that if one server
> > fell over the others would carry on.
> >
> > Also I'm thinking about doing LISP training courses, this would be
> > mainly because of my personal love for the language. However we are not
> > sure of the target market size and if people would be interested, we
> > are based in Uxbridge, London and the course would be at our offices
> > here.
> >
> > I would cover how to build an application server in SBCL probably with
> > UBUNTU, course would probably be a couple of days and would include
> > some of the libraries we use to run our app. servers.
> >
> > Anyway hope you guys & girls can help.
> >
> > (if you want to see our LISP BASED LEWIS ajax server running try the
> > website. It's pretty new and MAY fall over in a heap of stack
> > overflows!)
> >

> > Paul
> > www.hyperstring.net
>
> You should use the modern form "Lisp" (as opposed to "LISP") on your
> website.

Hi Bill

eh?

Lisp isn't case sensitive?

Paul
From: jayessay
"boating12345" <············@hyperstring.net> writes:

> Bill Atkins wrote:
> > "boating12345" <············@hyperstring.net> writes:
> > > Paul
> > > www.hyperstring.net
> >
> > You should use the modern form "Lisp" (as opposed to "LISP") on your
> > website.
> Lisp isn't case sensitive?

Of course it's case sensitive.  And in the respect mentioned here, it
is also connotation sensitive...

/Jon

--
'j' - a n t h o n y at romeo/charley/november com
From: Paolo Amoroso
Bill Atkins <······@rpi.edu> writes:

> "boating12345" <············@hyperstring.net> writes:

>> (if you want to see our LISP BASED LEWIS ajax server running try the
>> website. It's pretty new and MAY fall over in a heap of stack
>> overflows!)
[...]
> You should use the modern form "Lisp" (as opposed to "LISP") on your
> website.

And maybe also avoid that kind of comments on your products in places
to which your potential or current clients have access.

Paolo
--
Why Lisp? http://wiki.alu.org/RtL%20Highlight%20Film
The Common Lisp Directory: http://www.cl-user.net
From: boating12345
Ok Ok

I do have one very good answer to my question but if any one has any
others that would be great.

Paul
From: boating12345
Dear All,

I do think its odd replying to myself but I've been sleeping on some of
your comments.

It does frustrate me, why? Because I was running a Microsoft based
software company devleoping asp and asp.net applications, we saw lisp
and fell in love with it, now we've switched to UBUNTU and SBCL and
guess what, our clients love it as well, however this comes with
considerable risk as we are only a small company so when we moved to
Lisp there was down time while we transferred.

I just think it's a bit sad that no one noticed the windowing
technology on our website, did you know that the server is managing all
that, LEWIS our web product knows which user has which windows where,
and makes sure they are able to control them. It seems to me that
people are more focused on wether LISP is Lisp or LiSp - I am focused
on getting the language and technology in to main stream business. It
means I will make errors on the way and fall down flat. Just like any
other organisation. Actualy NONE of our clients care if Lisp is LISP or
lisp, you know why? Because it doesn't solve a point of pain  for them.
My customers want solutions like "Make me an invoicing program that
chases invocies", or "We need a poker server".

Anyway there we go.

Paul.
From: Bill Atkins
"boating12345" <············@hyperstring.net> writes:

> Dear All,
>
> I do think its odd replying to myself but I've been sleeping on some of
> your comments.
>
> It does frustrate me, why? Because I was running a Microsoft based
> software company devleoping asp and asp.net applications, we saw lisp
> and fell in love with it, now we've switched to UBUNTU and SBCL and
> guess what, our clients love it as well, however this comes with
> considerable risk as we are only a small company so when we moved to
> Lisp there was down time while we transferred.
>
> I just think it's a bit sad that no one noticed the windowing
> technology on our website, did you know that the server is managing all
> that, LEWIS our web product knows which user has which windows where,
> and makes sure they are able to control them. It seems to me that
> people are more focused on wether LISP is Lisp or LiSp - I am focused
> on getting the language and technology in to main stream business. It
> means I will make errors on the way and fall down flat. Just like any
> other organisation. Actualy NONE of our clients care if Lisp is LISP or
> lisp, you know why? Because it doesn't solve a point of pain  for them.
> My customers want solutions like "Make me an invoicing program that
> chases invocies", or "We need a poker server".
>
> Anyway there we go.
>
> Paul.

Interestingly enough, your post wasn't directed to your clients, but
rather to a group of Lisp programmers.  What led you to think our
response would resemble that of your clients?

The distinction between LISP and Lisp is more important than you might
think.  LISP is an acronym for "LISt Processor," which is an outdated
and misleading descirption of modern Lisp systems.

I can't speak for anyone else here, but the reason I didn't mention
the windowing system is not that I was distracted by the word "LISP,"
but rather that I don't get what's so groundbreaking about it.  They
look like windows that display static content and can be dragged
around.  What am I missing?
From: boating12345
Bill Atkins wrote:
> "boating12345" <············@hyperstring.net> writes:
>
> > Dear All,
> >
> > I do think its odd replying to myself but I've been sleeping on some of
> > your comments.
> >
> > It does frustrate me, why? Because I was running a Microsoft based
> > software company devleoping asp and asp.net applications, we saw lisp
> > and fell in love with it, now we've switched to UBUNTU and SBCL and
> > guess what, our clients love it as well, however this comes with
> > considerable risk as we are only a small company so when we moved to
> > Lisp there was down time while we transferred.
> >
> > I just think it's a bit sad that no one noticed the windowing
> > technology on our website, did you know that the server is managing all
> > that, LEWIS our web product knows which user has which windows where,
> > and makes sure they are able to control them. It seems to me that
> > people are more focused on wether LISP is Lisp or LiSp - I am focused
> > on getting the language and technology in to main stream business. It
> > means I will make errors on the way and fall down flat. Just like any
> > other organisation. Actualy NONE of our clients care if Lisp is LISP or
> > lisp, you know why? Because it doesn't solve a point of pain  for them.
> > My customers want solutions like "Make me an invoicing program that
> > chases invocies", or "We need a poker server".
> >
> > Anyway there we go.
> >
> > Paul.
>
> Interestingly enough, your post wasn't directed to your clients, but
> rather to a group of Lisp programmers.  What led you to think our
> response would resemble that of your clients?
>
> The distinction between LISP and Lisp is more important than you might
> think.  LISP is an acronym for "LISt Processor," which is an outdated
> and misleading descirption of modern Lisp systems.
>
> I can't speak for anyone else here, but the reason I didn't mention
> the windowing system is not that I was distracted by the word "LISP,"
> but rather that I don't get what's so groundbreaking about it.  They
> look like windows that display static content and can be dragged
> around.  What am I missing?

Ok - now you can be undistracted as we've changed it - actually this is
very early days. What you can't see is the front of the back - the
windows are managed on the SERVER. eventually we can have a window
based application running through a web browser with no downloads apart
from HTML and graphics PLUS intractive PUSH technology as well, you
could be watching a live news feed.  This same web server runs poker
software (which we are near done on the first phase of!). It also does
things like for a shopping site it can change the web page to promote a
particular product based on searches/sales. For example if a new
product comes on the market the page can dynamcially change to reflect
what customers are searching on NOT what the web people FEEL was the
right thing to put there. Thats what our Lewis application server does.

What's cool with Lisp is all of us here feel like we've been set free
to program in the way we think rather than being constrained by the
languages syntax or its bounderies.

I do agree about the name being misleading! It's so much more than a
list processor!

Paul
hyperstring.net
From: Marc Battyani
"boating12345" <············@hyperstring.net> wrote

> I do think its odd replying to myself but I've been sleeping on some of
> your comments.
>
> It does frustrate me, why? Because I was running a Microsoft based
> software company devleoping asp and asp.net applications, we saw lisp
> and fell in love with it, now we've switched to UBUNTU and SBCL and
> guess what, our clients love it as well, however this comes with
> considerable risk as we are only a small company so when we moved to
> Lisp there was down time while we transferred.
>
> I just think it's a bit sad that no one noticed the windowing
> technology on our website, did you know that the server is managing all
> that, LEWIS our web product knows which user has which windows where,
> and makes sure they are able to control them.
>[...]

I can understand your frustration at the lack of reaction and also your
excitement at doing very cool stuff in Common Lisp. But this is a Lisp
newsgroup so most of the readers here already know all this and have been
knowing and doing that for years. So this is why people here don't seem so
much excited.

Anyway congratulation for switching to Common Lisp :)

Marc
From: boating12345
Marc Battyani wrote:
> "boating12345" <············@hyperstring.net> wrote
>
> > I do think its odd replying to myself but I've been sleeping on some of
> > your comments.
> >
> > It does frustrate me, why? Because I was running a Microsoft based
> > software company devleoping asp and asp.net applications, we saw lisp
> > and fell in love with it, now we've switched to UBUNTU and SBCL and
> > guess what, our clients love it as well, however this comes with
> > considerable risk as we are only a small company so when we moved to
> > Lisp there was down time while we transferred.
> >
> > I just think it's a bit sad that no one noticed the windowing
> > technology on our website, did you know that the server is managing all
> > that, LEWIS our web product knows which user has which windows where,
> > and makes sure they are able to control them.
> >[...]
>
> I can understand your frustration at the lack of reaction and also your \
> excitement at doing very cool stuff in Common Lisp. But this is a Lisp
> newsgroup so most of the readers here already know all this and have been
> knowing and doing that for years. So this is why people here don't seem so
> much excited.
>
> Anyway congratulation for switching to Common Lisp :)
>
> Marc

LOL good point Marc.

Perhaps I should go wind up the java kids?!

Paul
www.hyperstring.net
From: Marc Battyani
"boating12345" <············@hyperstring.net> wrote

> Marc Battyani wrote:
>>
>> I can understand your frustration at the lack of reaction and also your \
>> excitement at doing very cool stuff in Common Lisp. But this is a Lisp
>> newsgroup so most of the readers here already know all this and have been
>> knowing and doing that for years. So this is why people here don't seem
>> so
>> much excited.
>>
>> Anyway congratulation for switching to Common Lisp :)
>>
>> Marc
>
> LOL good point Marc.
>
> Perhaps I should go wind up the java kids?!

Exactly ;-)

Here is a related citation from Kenny Tilton:
   I am reminded of Gregor Kiczales at ILC 2003 displaying some AspectJ to
   a silent crowd, pausing, then plaintively adding, "When I show that to
   Java programmers they stand up and cheer."

Marc