From: Dominique Boucher
Subject: [Ann] Next meeting of the MSLUG
Hi,

The next meeting of the Montreal Scheme/Lisp User Group will be held
Thursday, October 26th.

Talk: Codewalking square pegs in round holes., by Paul Khuong.

Abstract:

I will describe a lightweight portable codewalker for complete Common
Lisp, and discuss some of the obstacles to portability. As an
application, I will describe how continuations can be added to
(compiled) Common Lisp portably. If there is time left, extensions to
make functional programming in a Lisp-2 more comfortable may also be
covered. The talk will be in French with slides in English.

See you there!

http://schemeway.dyndns.org/mslug

--
Dominique Boucher
The Scheme Way Project

From: Abdulaziz Ghuloum
Subject: Re: Next meeting of the MSLUG
Dominique Boucher wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The next meeting of the Montreal Scheme/Lisp User Group will be held
> Thursday, October 26th.
>
> Talk: Codewalking square pegs in round holes., by Paul Khuong.
>
> Abstract:
>
> I will describe a lightweight portable codewalker for complete Common
> Lisp, and discuss some of the obstacles to portability.

I don't understand.  Is the code walker portable or are there obstacles
to its portability?

> The talk will be in French with slides in English.

Interesting :-)

Aziz,,,
From: Pascal Costanza
Abdulaziz Ghuloum wrote:
> Dominique Boucher wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> The next meeting of the Montreal Scheme/Lisp User Group will be held
>> Thursday, October 26th.
>>
>> Talk: Codewalking square pegs in round holes., by Paul Khuong.
>>
>> Abstract:
>>
>> I will describe a lightweight portable codewalker for complete Common
>> Lisp, and discuss some of the obstacles to portability.
>
> I don't understand.  Is the code walker portable or are there obstacles
> to its portability?

Common Lisp allows implementations to provide new special operators that
are not part of the ANSI CL specification, as well as implement some of
the existing special operators with macros. [1] This makes it hard to
implement code walkers portably. However, if you restrict yourself to
the set of special operators specified in ANSI CL and stick to the rules
specified there, and/or make the code walker extensible, then it's
possible (though not straightforward) to implement it portably.

Pascal

[1] In the Common Lisp terminology, unlike in other Lisp dialects, there
is a distinction between special operators and macros: A special
operators is a form provided by the implementation that is not expanded
into some other form but interpreted/compiled "directly" instead.

--
My website: http://p-cos.net
From: Paolo Amoroso
Subject: Re: [Ann] Next meeting of the MSLUG
"Dominique Boucher" <·········@sympatico.ca> writes:

> I will describe a lightweight portable codewalker for complete Common
> Lisp, and discuss some of the obstacles to portability. As an

Do you mean ANSI Common Lisp?  Cool.

Paolo
--
Why Lisp? http://wiki.alu.org/RtL%20Highlight%20Film