From: ··············@gmail.com
Subject: Free web development is not possible on Intel Macs?
Hello group,

it seems that there were a lot of discussions on the group recently on
Intel Mac/web-development/threads/... I've tried to read them all very
carefully - it seems for me that no single (news-group)thread draws a
complete picture. I'm trying to summarize my understanding here -
please confirm it or say where I am wrong.

0. Your lisp implementation should support threads, as that is what
both (Portable)AllegroServe and Hunchentoot require.

0a. Araneida works both with and without threads, but it is not really
ready for production use. [I can imagine a mode when a programmer test
everything on his Intel Mac in single thread and then uses
FreeBSD/Linux box with multithread support for hosting web-server, but
that look dangerous for me.]

0b. For serious web-development, there're no other choices except these
three.

1. Only lisp implementation supporting (native) threads on Intel Mac OS
X are ACL and LispWorks - both commercial programs.

2. CLisp does not support (native) threads on any platform, not only
Intel Mac OS X.

3. SBCL has long way to go to support threads on Intel Mac OS X - main
issues are with finding substitute for futexes
[http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.lisp/msg/add2db9ce41c480a]

4. CMUCL does not support Intel Mac OS X.

5. OpenMCL does not support Intel Mac OS X yet.

Your help with confirming/rejecting/claryfing that is very much
appreciated.

Best Regards,
Victor.

PS. How to install clisp on Mac OS X? It's not available via fink
[http://pdb.finkproject.org/pdb/package.php/clisp], and even version of
CLisp for PowerPC seems outdates (2.33 vs current 2.41) - does it mean
that I should be brave enough to try to compile it myself?

From: ········@gmail.com
I've been happilly using TBNL/Hunchentoot with SBCL on OSX intel
with no issues whatsoever. TBNL (now deprecated) had some problems
(not osx specific) with SBCL but they got fixed and Hunchentoot works
as it should  here.

From: ··············@gmail.com
On Oct 19, 8:21 am, ········@gmail.com wrote:
> I've been happilly using TBNL/Hunchentoot with SBCL on OSX intel
> with no issues whatsoever. TBNL (now deprecated) had some problems
> (not osx specific) with SBCL but they got fixed and Hunchentoot works
> as it should  here.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Here is another way I found: using (slime-connect) to connect to my
wife's notebook (which has Ubuntu installed), where I can happily run
sbcl & portable allegroserve. Not the best way, I know, but better then
nothing.
From: ·····@yahoo.com
··············@gmail.com wrote:
> it seems that there were a lot of discussions on the group recently on
> Intel Mac/web-development/threads/...

> 0. Your lisp implementation should support threads, as that is what
> both (Portable)AllegroServe and Hunchentoot require.

I don't know any/which server / client do pseudo- (one shot,
not scheme) continuations, OR use an event system. When I said
2 threads ago I didn't think the OP was actually using threads,
why didn't I follow up?

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.lisp/browse_frm/thread/606d9123db33050c/2da111f928a51034?hl=en#2da111f928a51034

> 0a. Araneida works both with and without threads, but
Thanks

> 2. CLisp does not support (native) threads on any platform (& old fink)

Clisp now builds on MacPort (formerly DarwinPorts)

And yet there is a mod_lisp example -> Downloads -> Contributed
http://www.fractalconcept.com/asp/cwB2/sdataQ09$Qx7vN7dmDM==/asdataQuMh-N3qe0jUC1B=
Plus it's considered "light enough" to fork / exec w/o too much pain.

> 3. SBCL has long way to go to support threads on Intel Mac OS X - main
> issues are with finding substitute for futexes
> [http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.lisp/msg/add2db9ce41c480a]

And I just found Cyruss Harmon blogs about
futexes -vs- signals -vs- Mach Exceptions

> 5. OpenMCL does not support Intel Mac OS X yet.

and will only be "64 bit", but for the extra registers, not the 64
bitness