From: gavino
Subject: how in hell can I learn CLISP? PCL seems lame
PCL seems lame because P siebels doesnt focus on whats big these days:
WEB

From: bradb
Subject: Re: how in hell can I learn CLISP? PCL seems lame
gavino wrote:
> PCL seems lame because P siebels doesnt focus on whats big these days:
> WEB

What do you want to know about this WEB?

Brad
From: Lars Rune Nøstdal
On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 15:15:06 -0700, bradb wrote:

> gavino wrote:
>> PCL seems lame because P siebels doesnt focus on whats big these days:
>> WEB
>
> What do you want to know about this WEB?
>
> Brad

It's big .. lol

--
Lars Rune Nøstdal
http://lars.nostdal.org/
From: Lars Rune Nøstdal
On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 00:57:25 +0200, Lars Rune Nøstdal wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 15:15:06 -0700, bradb wrote:
>

>> gavino wrote:
>>> PCL seems lame because P siebels doesnt focus on whats big these days:
>>> WEB
>>
>> What do you want to know about this WEB?
>>
>> Brad
>
> It's big .. lol

..and there is also a new version of it available Real Soon Now:
  http://digg.com/programming/Web_2_0_Thinking_Game

Here's an idea:

1. Learn Common Lisp (not "WEB" - lol) with the help of the non-lame PCL
   and your favourite non-lame Lisp-implementation.

2. Learn the quirks and features of your Lisp-implementation with the
   help of its manual - and/or learn and use portable
   compatibility-layer-libraries.

3. Either use what you've learned in #2 to implement your own HTTP-server
   ("WEB" - lol) or use some of the many alternatives already available.

Yup - it's simple, it's fast (in many ways) and it works - so what was
your question again?

--
Lars Rune Nøstdal
http://lars.nostdal.org/
From: Ralph Allan Rice
gavino wrote:
> PCL seems lame because P siebels doesnt focus on whats big these days:
> WEB

I don't get it, gavino.  Chapter 26, Practical: Web Programming with
AllegroServe is probably the most straight-forward introduction to web
programming in LISP. Are you hung up because it's only one chapter?
Heck, there are many general books on other "mainstream" languages that
don't even mention the web. Yet, we all know that it is very possible
to develop web applications in those languages. Compare to those books,
PCL is much better. So, what's the deal? Do you have a specific
question?

--
Ralph
From: gavino
From: Pascal Bourguignon
"gavino" <········@yahoo.com> writes:
> Ok let me ask this:
> Paul graham mentions "exploratory" programming in his boosk and how
> important it is and how common lisp allows this more than any other
> tool.  Does PCL show some fo this power?

No.  Nothing to be seen.  Pass your way.

WARNING: This product warps space and time in its vicinity.
From: Bill Atkins
"gavino" <········@yahoo.com> writes:

> PCL seems lame because P siebels doesnt focus on whats big these days:
> WEB

Would you stop calling Common Lisp CLISP?  CLISP is an implementation
of Common Lisp.  Somebody points this out to you every time you
resurface here and start spouting nonsense.
From: gavino
From: Ari Johnson
"gavino" <········@yahoo.com> writes:

> See you are a fool.
> I mean exactly what I say.
> I mean Clisp.
> dunce!
> I do NOT mean common lisp.
> dunce!

No, you are the dunce.  You asked how you can "learn CLISP" [sic].
That's the same as asking how you can learn GCC.  Don't try to hide
your ignorance by calling people names - most people here won't fall
for it.

Why do you keep coming back?  You don't really want anything to do
with Lisp other than as one of the many outlets for your juvenile
trolling.  Do you really accomplish anything by this behavior or do
you suffer from a mental illness that compels you to repeat known
unsuccessful patterns?

I guess what I'm asking is this:  Are you insane or just an imbecile?
From: John Thingstad
On Thu, 19 Oct 2006 07:08:17 +0200, Ari Johnson <·········@gmail.com>
wrote:

> "gavino" <········@yahoo.com> writes:
>
>> See you are a fool.
>> I mean exactly what I say.
>> I mean Clisp.
>> dunce!
>> I do NOT mean common lisp.
>> dunce!
>
> No, you are the dunce.  You asked how you can "learn CLISP" [sic].
> That's the same as asking how you can learn GCC.  Don't try to hide
> your ignorance by calling people names - most people here won't fall
> for it.
>
> Why do you keep coming back?  You don't really want anything to do
> with Lisp other than as one of the many outlets for your juvenile
> trolling.  Do you really accomplish anything by this behavior or do
> you suffer from a mental illness that compels you to repeat known
> unsuccessful patterns?
>
> I guess what I'm asking is this:  Are you insane or just an imbecile?

If you spend all your time responding to fools chances are there are 2...

From: Thomas A. Russ
"gavino" <········@yahoo.com> writes:

> See you are a fool.
> I mean exactly what I say.
> I mean Clisp.

Well, then I suggest that if you want to learn CLISP, you get the CLISP
manual and release notes and read them.

> dunce!
> I do NOT mean common lisp.

Well, in that case, it seems that reading a book called "Practical
Common Lisp" is a silly thing to do.  If you don't mean to learn Common
Lisp, you shouldn't read books about it.  You should read the CLISP
manual instead and forget all about Common Lisp.

From: boating12345
Thomas A. Russ wrote:
> "gavino" <········@yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > See you are a fool.
> > I mean exactly what I say.
> > I mean Clisp.
>
> Well, then I suggest that if you want to learn CLISP, you get the CLISP
> manual and release notes and read them.
>
> > dunce!
> > I do NOT mean common lisp.
>
> Well, in that case, it seems that reading a book called "Practical
> Common Lisp" is a silly thing to do.  If you don't mean to learn Common
> Lisp, you shouldn't read books about it.  You should read the CLISP
> manual instead and forget all about Common Lisp.
>

> --
> Thomas A. Russ,  USC/Information Sciences Institute

I think Peter's book is a real good reference manual. He has also done
a really interesting video on google videos.

Paul
http://www.hyperstring.net
From: Bill Atkins
"gavino" <········@yahoo.com> writes:

> PCL seems lame because P siebels doesnt focus on whats big these days:
> WEB

If you're not going to put it in the time to learn Lisp itself (and
PCL is one of the best ways to do this) and are interested only in
howto's for writing web applications in Lisp.....why bother with Lisp
at all?  If you're only interested in the specifics of using Lisp with
the web and not in learning how best to use the language itself and
what makes it worthwhile, what the hell is the point of using Lisp as
opposed to any other language?
From: Lars Rune Nøstdal
On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 19:38:02 -0400, Bill Atkins wrote:

> "gavino" <········@yahoo.com> writes:
>
>> PCL seems lame because P siebels doesnt focus on whats big these days:
>> WEB
>
> If you're not going to put it in the time to learn Lisp itself (and
> PCL is one of the best ways to do this) and are interested only in
> howto's for writing web applications in Lisp.....why bother with Lisp
> at all?  If you're only interested in the specifics of using Lisp with
> the web and not in learning how best to use the language itself and
> what makes it worthwhile, what the hell is the point of using Lisp as
> opposed to any other language?

I think he wants to be your boss (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pointy_Haired_Boss ).

--
Lars Rune Nøstdal
http://lars.nostdal.org/
From: Frank Buss
gavino wrote:

> PCL seems lame because P siebels doesnt focus on whats big these days:
> WEB

I wonder why you ask all those one-sentence questions (
http://groups.google.com/groups/profile?enc_user=Vk26PxIAAAAm28H39K9wcXFBEVYE99Z98rhlH0Pnl47z4AZhN98BFg
) for Forth, APL, Perl, Lisp, Tcl, Linux etc. without giving some
background information what you want to do, what you have tried already
etc. Do you really want to do some programming or at least want to know
some answers, or is it just trolling?

--
Frank Buss, ··@frank-buss.de
From: ··········@gmail.com
On Oct 18, 5:47 pm, "gavino" <········@yahoo.com> wrote:
> PCL seems lame because P siebels doesnt focus on whats big these days:
> WEB
Hi there,

I am usually just a silent reader in this newsgroup but I guess there
is some misunderstanding in this discussion.
I am sure that "gavino"
- knows about netiquette (e.g. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netiquette)
- knows that writing in capital letters could be interpreted as yelling
- knows that using "how in hell" for sure does not motivate other
people to help if there is a real problem
- does not want to provocate others.
- ...

So since he was looking for WEB, why don't you check the two articles
by Donald Knuth: "How to read a WEB" and "Literate Programming". You
may find reprints of both articles in Knuth, Donald E. (1992) Literate
Programming. CSLI Lecture Notes Number 27. I have to admit, however,
that I did not know that WEB is such a big topic these days in Lisp.

Best,
Roland
From: Evan Monroig
"gavino" <········@yahoo.com> writes:

> PCL seems lame because P siebels doesnt focus on whats big these days:
> WEB

Why don't you start with what you have?

Everyone I've read agrees that PCL is a very good introduction to common
lisp.  You can learn about designing scalable web systems from other
sources.

Evan