From: erk
Subject: Intel OS X Mac Lisp development environment newbie
OK, now that I've packed every keyword I can in the subject line...

I'm an experienced software developer seeking escape from the shackles
of J2EE, and having read much about Lisp (e.g. all of Practical Common
Lisp), it seems to be a language to love.

I also wanted to escape Windows, so I bought an Intel MacBook, and am
having a great deal of trouble setting up a Lisp development
environment, and especially a web server. Here are some of the steps I
took, in addition to googling countless times and reading stuff by Edi
Weitz, David Steuber, and many others. This is going to be something of
a core dump, but I would appreciate comments on ANY of the below, and
the Lisp on Intel OS X situation in general.

1. Downloaded a binary version of SBCL purported to run on Intel OS X.
Actually, this worked fine - I can use SLIME in Aquamacs, Carbon Emacs,
and emacs in Terminal (command line). At least for simple Lisp
programs, which I'd now like to convert to Web apps.

2. Tried to use ASDF (built into SBCL) to load either
PortableAllegroServer or Araneida. I keep getting the same "component
araneida not found/available" (sorry, I'm not sitting in front of my
Mac now), and I've tried placing the .asd file in my ~/.sbcl/systems
dir, as well as in /usr/local/.../sbcl/site-systems. (I figured out
which dirs it should look in by evaluating *central-registry*, which
yielded the above). I tried both copying and sym-linking the .asd, as
documented all over the place.

3. Downloaded Peter Seibel's Lispbox versions, both CLISP and OpenMCL.
CLISP under Lispbox could load aserve.asd via ASDF (though it
encountered an error), but encountered the same araneida component
error as above. I couldn't load either one with the OpenMCL Lispbox.

4. Although CLISP-Lispbox loaded aserve, it choked trying to evaluate
(unix:get-pid)  (I think that was the line). It didn't know what the
unix package was, somehow.

So, in light of all this, some more pointed questions:

a. What web servers have you successfully used to front-end Lisp
systems on Intel Macs? If you're using Apache with mod-lisp (or
mod-lisp2), are there customizations to be done for the Mac?

b. I normally use a non-admin personal account, and log in as admin
when needed. Should all of my installations of Lispbox / Lisp
distributions be done using admin? I'm just concerned that I'm running
into some baroque permissions issues under the hood, when using my
non-admin account.

c. Would building Lisp from source help alleviate any of the above, and
are there any source modifications to make for Intel OS X prior to the
build?

d. How does Fink factor into all this? I've heard it referenced several
times, but am unclear how it would help run web servers and Lisp.

I truly apologize if these questions are dumb, but I may be numb from
beating my head against this for over a month. I've done a lot of
reading, so perhaps the problem is between my ears. I'm just hoping a
new perspective will help me.

Thanks for your time,

- Eric

From: erk
I forgot to mention: I also downloaded LispWorks, which always took a
LONG time to start up, and lately has simply been hanging. I only have
512MB, but plan to increase that.

While I'd slightly prefer free / open source software, if there's a
good commercial product that will work on my platform, I'd buy it. I
just want to be sure it will actually work before I do so.

- Eric

From: Espen Vestre
"erk" <·········@gmail.com> writes:

> I forgot to mention: I also downloaded LispWorks, which always took a
> LONG time to start up, and lately has simply been hanging.

The Personal Edition of LispWorks is still version 4.4.6.

LW 4.4.6 is not compatible with the Rosetta PPC emulator - you need
LispWorks 5.0 to run it on intel macs - otherwise you'll barely get it
started before it crashes (if it starts at all..).

(I run LW 5.0 Professional on a MacBook)

> I only have 512MB, but plan to increase that.

That would be a good investment, OS X Tiger likes lots of RAM (my
MacBook has 2GB - I would not recommend trying anything less than
1GB).
--
  (espen)
From: erk
Thanks - I've written to them and hopefully it will be released soon. I
have no objection to eventually buying a license for commerical
development, should my career move in that direction as I hope.

And I'll be getting more memory very soon.

- erk

From: Thomas F. Burdick
"erk" <·········@gmail.com> writes:

> OK, now that I've packed every keyword I can in the subject line...
>
> I'm an experienced software developer seeking escape from the shackles
> of J2EE, and having read much about Lisp (e.g. all of Practical Common
> Lisp), it seems to be a language to love.
>
> I also wanted to escape Windows, so I bought an Intel MacBook, and am
> having a great deal of trouble setting up a Lisp development
> environment, and especially a web server. Here are some of the steps I
> took, in addition to googling countless times and reading stuff by Edi
> Weitz, David Steuber, and many others. This is going to be something of
> a core dump, but I would appreciate comments on ANY of the below, and
> the Lisp on Intel OS X situation in general.
>
> 1. Downloaded a binary version of SBCL purported to run on Intel OS X.
> Actually, this worked fine - I can use SLIME in Aquamacs, Carbon Emacs,
> and emacs in Terminal (command line). At least for simple Lisp
> programs, which I'd now like to convert to Web apps.
>
> 2. Tried to use ASDF (built into SBCL) to load either
> PortableAllegroServer or Araneida. I keep getting the same "component
> araneida not found/available" (sorry, I'm not sitting in front of my
> Mac now), and I've tried placing the .asd file in my ~/.sbcl/systems
> dir, as well as in /usr/local/.../sbcl/site-systems. (I figured out
> which dirs it should look in by evaluating *central-registry*, which
> yielded the above). I tried both copying and sym-linking the .asd, as
> documented all over the place.

You should unpack the tarballs in ~/.sbcl/site/, and you should make a
symlink to the asd files in ~/.sbcl/systems/.  Or you can have
asdf-install do this for you:

  * (require :asdf-install)
  * (asdf-install:install :araneida)
OR
  * (asdf-install:install "/path/to/araneida_0.00.tar.gz")

I have a PPC Mac, araneida works fine for me, and it shouldn't be
affected by the move to Intel.  If you continue to have more problems
with SBCL, speak up (with details, logs, stack traces) here and/or on
the sbcl list.
From: grackle
On Oct 11, 7:17 am, "erk" <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
> b. I normally use a non-admin personal account, and log in as admin
> when needed. Should all of my installations of Lispbox / Lisp
> distributions be done using admin? I'm just concerned that I'm running
> into some baroque permissions issues under the hood, when using my
> non-admin account.

I have the same (?) problem when I install Lisp packages as root.  Each
component is compiled when it is first used, which fails if I am using
a non-root account because only root can create files in the install
directory.  I work around this by starting another Lisp as root,
running the same command, and then retrying the command in my non-root
session.

It's a minor annoyance, and I suppose I'm only installing as root out
of habit -- I'm the only user on my system and could install everything
under my home directory.  It would be nice to know the right way to
install Lisp libraries for users without root access, though.

-David
From: Javier
erk ha escrito:

> OK, now that I've packed every keyword I can in the subject line...

Some indications:

1) SBCL is the best supported free implementation on Intel OSX at this
moment.
2) As stated above, use asdf-install with SBCL.
3) asdf-install depends on cliki.net. When cliki.net is down, you are
not able to dinamically download packages. NOTE: exactly at this
moment, cliki.net is down again. I don't know what's happening with
this server that from time to time gets down...
4) Save this on ~/.sbclrc :

(require 'asdf)
(defmethod asdf:perform :around ((o asdf:load-op) (c
asdf:cl-source-file))
  (handler-case (call-next-method o c)
    (#+sbcl sb-ext:invalid-fasl
     #+allegro excl::file-incompatible-fasl-error
     #+lispworks conditions:fasl-error
     #+cmu ext:invalid-fasl
     #-(or sbcl allegro lispworks cmu) error ()
     (asdf:perform (make-instance 'asdf:compile-op) c)
     (call-next-method))))

This ensures that everything is recompiled automaticaly everytime a new
version of SBCL arrives.

5) Create an executable link:
# ln -s /usr/local/bin/sbcl /usr/bin

I hope all of this can help.
From: erk
On Oct 11, 3:59 pm, "Javier" <·······@gmail.com> wrote:
> erk ha escrito:
>
> > OK, now that I've packed every keyword I can in the subject line...Some indications:
>
> 1) SBCL is the best supported free implementation on Intel OSX at this
> moment.
> 2) As stated above, use asdf-install with SBCL.
> 3) asdf-install depends on cliki.net. When cliki.net is down, you are
> not able to dinamically download packages. NOTE: exactly at this
> moment, cliki.net is down again. I don't know what's happening with
> this server that from time to time gets down...
> 4) Save this on ~/.sbclrc :
>
> (require 'asdf)
> (defmethod asdf:perform :around ((o asdf:load-op) (c
> asdf:cl-source-file))
>   (handler-case (call-next-method o c)
>     (#+sbcl sb-ext:invalid-fasl
>      #+allegro excl::file-incompatible-fasl-error
>      #+lispworks conditions:fasl-error
>      #+cmu ext:invalid-fasl
>      #-(or sbcl allegro lispworks cmu) error ()
>      (asdf:perform (make-instance 'asdf:compile-op) c)
>      (call-next-method))))
>
> This ensures that everything is recompiled automaticaly everytime a new
> version of SBCL arrives.
>
> 5) Create an executable link:
> # ln -s /usr/local/bin/sbcl /usr/bin
>
> I hope all of this can help.

Thanks, I will try this as soon as cliki is clicking again.

- erk
From: Bill Atkins
"erk" <·········@gmail.com> writes:

> OK, now that I've packed every keyword I can in the subject line...
>
> I'm an experienced software developer seeking escape from the shackles
> of J2EE, and having read much about Lisp (e.g. all of Practical Common
> Lisp), it seems to be a language to love.
>
> I also wanted to escape Windows, so I bought an Intel MacBook, and am
> having a great deal of trouble setting up a Lisp development
> environment, and especially a web server. Here are some of the steps I
> took, in addition to googling countless times and reading stuff by Edi
> Weitz, David Steuber, and many others. This is going to be something of
> a core dump, but I would appreciate comments on ANY of the below, and
> the Lisp on Intel OS X situation in general.
>
> 1. Downloaded a binary version of SBCL purported to run on Intel OS X.
> Actually, this worked fine - I can use SLIME in Aquamacs, Carbon Emacs,
> and emacs in Terminal (command line). At least for simple Lisp
> programs, which I'd now like to convert to Web apps.
>
> 2. Tried to use ASDF (built into SBCL) to load either
> PortableAllegroServer or Araneida. I keep getting the same "component
> araneida not found/available" (sorry, I'm not sitting in front of my
> Mac now), and I've tried placing the .asd file in my ~/.sbcl/systems
> dir, as well as in /usr/local/.../sbcl/site-systems. (I figured out
> which dirs it should look in by evaluating *central-registry*, which
> yielded the above). I tried both copying and sym-linking the .asd, as
> documented all over the place.

Have you installed all of the dependencies of paserve and araneida?
Are you familiar with ASDF-INSTALL?  That will retrieve ASDF packages
and any dependencies that go along with them, e.g. :

;; on SBCL
(require :asdf-install)
(asdf-install:install :araneida)

I'm not sure if paserve is asdf-installable, but if not you can just
asdf-install each of the dependencies paserve complains about.  The
main caveat is that ASDF-INSTALL retrieves URL's from a wiki, so there
is a security risk involved in using it.

> 3. Downloaded Peter Seibel's Lispbox versions, both CLISP and OpenMCL.
> CLISP under Lispbox could load aserve.asd via ASDF (though it
> encountered an error), but encountered the same araneida component
> error as above. I couldn't load either one with the OpenMCL Lispbox.
>
> 4. Although CLISP-Lispbox loaded aserve, it choked trying to evaluate
> (unix:get-pid)  (I think that was the line). It didn't know what the
> unix package was, somehow.
>
> So, in light of all this, some more pointed questions:
>
> a. What web servers have you successfully used to front-end Lisp
> systems on Intel Macs? If you're using Apache with mod-lisp (or
> mod-lisp2), are there customizations to be done for the Mac?

I've used

a) Apache (1.3.33) with mod_lisp.  I used the stock Apache that comes
with OS X Tiger.  Follow the instructions on the mod_lisp site, add
appropriate LoadModule and AddModule directives to httpd.conf, and
you're all set.

b) Araneida - under LispWorks.

> b. I normally use a non-admin personal account, and log in as admin
> when needed. Should all of my installations of Lispbox / Lisp
> distributions be done using admin? I'm just concerned that I'm running
> into some baroque permissions issues under the hood, when using my
> non-admin account.

You'll probably be all right running as admin all the time.  It'll be
a lot more convenient than switching users all the time, and OS X
always authenticates you before doing anything serious to your system.

> c. Would building Lisp from source help alleviate any of the above, and
> are there any source modifications to make for Intel OS X prior to the
> build?
>
> d. How does Fink factor into all this? I've heard it referenced several
> times, but am unclear how it would help run web servers and Lisp.

Fink just lets you install open-source binary packages easily.

To repeat what Espen already mentioned, going up to 1GB will make a
_huge_ difference.  I recently upgraded my MacBook Pro from 512 to a
gig and the whole machine runs much more smoothly.

I can't say enough good things about LispWorks.  The demo on their
website is still from an older version, but if you contact them,
they'll probably let you try an evaluation of the latest version, 5.0,
which can produce Universal binaries.

The SBCL binary has been working fine for me on my Intel Mac.

hth,
Bill
From: erk
On Oct 11, 1:35 pm, Bill Atkins <······@rpi.edu> wrote:
> "erk" <·········@gmail.com> writes:
> > OK, now that I've packed every keyword I can in the subject line...
>
> > I'm an experienced software developer seeking escape from the shackles
> > of J2EE, and having read much about Lisp (e.g. all of Practical Common
> > Lisp), it seems to be a language to love.
>
> > I also wanted to escape Windows, so I bought an Intel MacBook, and am
> > having a great deal of trouble setting up a Lisp development
> > environment, and especially a web server. Here are some of the steps I
> > took, in addition to googling countless times and reading stuff by Edi
> > Weitz, David Steuber, and many others. This is going to be something of
> > a core dump, but I would appreciate comments on ANY of the below, and
> > the Lisp on Intel OS X situation in general.
>
> > 1. Downloaded a binary version of SBCL purported to run on Intel OS X.
> > Actually, this worked fine - I can use SLIME in Aquamacs, Carbon Emacs,
> > and emacs in Terminal (command line). At least for simple Lisp
> > programs, which I'd now like to convert to Web apps.
>
> > 2. Tried to use ASDF (built into SBCL) to load either
> > PortableAllegroServer or Araneida. I keep getting the same "component
> > araneida not found/available" (sorry, I'm not sitting in front of my
> > Mac now), and I've tried placing the .asd file in my ~/.sbcl/systems
> > dir, as well as in /usr/local/.../sbcl/site-systems. (I figured out
> > which dirs it should look in by evaluating *central-registry*, which
> > yielded the above). I tried both copying and sym-linking the .asd, as
> > documented all over the place.Have you installed all of the dependencies of paserve and araneida?

Probably not correctly - I'll revisit those.

> Are you familiar with ASDF-INSTALL?  That will retrieve ASDF packages
> and any dependencies that go along with them, e.g. :
>
> ;; on SBCL
> (require :asdf-install)
> (asdf-install:install :araneida)
>
> I'm not sure if paserve is asdf-installable, but if not you can just
> asdf-install each of the dependencies paserve complains about.

I'll try that.

> The
> main caveat is that ASDF-INSTALL retrieves URL's from a wiki, so there
> is a security risk involved in using it.

I'm not too worried about that, but the last time I tried asdf-install,
cliki was down (and oddly enough, mapping to some portal site - maybe
DNS was goofed up, I don't know).

> > 3. Downloaded Peter Seibel's Lispbox versions, both CLISP and OpenMCL.
> > CLISP under Lispbox could load aserve.asd via ASDF (though it
> > encountered an error), but encountered the same araneida component
> > error as above. I couldn't load either one with the OpenMCL Lispbox.
>
> > 4. Although CLISP-Lispbox loaded aserve, it choked trying to evaluate
> > (unix:get-pid)  (I think that was the line). It didn't know what the
> > unix package was, somehow.
>
> > So, in light of all this, some more pointed questions:
>
> > a. What web servers have you successfully used to front-end Lisp
> > systems on Intel Macs? If you're using Apache with mod-lisp (or
> > mod-lisp2), are there customizations to be done for the Mac?I've used
>
> a) Apache (1.3.33) with mod_lisp.  I used the stock Apache that comes
> with OS X Tiger.  Follow the instructions on the mod_lisp site, add
> appropriate LoadModule and AddModule directives to httpd.conf, and
> you're all set.
>
> b) Araneida - under LispWorks.
>
> > b. I normally use a non-admin personal account, and log in as admin
> > when needed. Should all of my installations of Lispbox / Lisp
> > distributions be done using admin? I'm just concerned that I'm running
> > into some baroque permissions issues under the hood, when using my
> > non-admin account.You'll probably be all right running as admin all the time.  It'll be
> a lot more convenient than switching users all the time, and OS X
> always authenticates you before doing anything serious to your system.

Done - I suspect doing the "right thing" was causing problems. Should I
need to be root to do any of the configurations / installations? Or
just an admin?

Also, do you prefer the Apache/mod_lisp route to Araneida, or vice
versa? My apps are going to be fairly simple web / SQL apps, so I don't
need anything fancy.

> > c. Would building Lisp from source help alleviate any of the above, and
> > are there any source modifications to make for Intel OS X prior to the
> > build?
>
> > d. How does Fink factor into all this? I've heard it referenced several
> > times, but am unclear how it would help run web servers and Lisp.Fink just lets you install open-source binary packages easily.
>
> To repeat what Espen already mentioned, going up to 1GB will make a
> _huge_ difference.  I recently upgraded my MacBook Pro from 512 to a
> gig and the whole machine runs much more smoothly.

Will do.

> I can't say enough good things about LispWorks.  The demo on their
> website is still from an older version, but if you contact them,
> they'll probably let you try an evaluation of the latest version, 5.0,
> which can produce Universal binaries.

I have, and hopefully will hear from them soon. I don't care as much
about the binaries - just being able to run a web server that talks to
a Lisp process.

> The SBCL binary has been working fine for me on my Intel Mac.

That's great to know right there - I just needed to be sure I wasn't
pursuing an impossible course. This localizes the problem to somewhere
above my neck.  :-)

> hth,
> Bill

Thanks,

- erk
From: Bill Atkins
"erk" <·········@gmail.com> writes:

[snip]

> I'm not too worried about that, but the last time I tried asdf-install,
> cliki was down (and oddly enough, mapping to some portal site - maybe
> DNS was goofed up, I don't know).

Actually, I believe Cliki is down as we speak.  It should be living on
a new host shortly, so hopefully ASDF-INSTALL will be working soon.

>> > 3. Downloaded Peter Seibel's Lispbox versions, both CLISP and OpenMCL.
>> > CLISP under Lispbox could load aserve.asd via ASDF (though it
>> > encountered an error), but encountered the same araneida component
>> > error as above. I couldn't load either one with the OpenMCL Lispbox.
>>
>> > 4. Although CLISP-Lispbox loaded aserve, it choked trying to evaluate
>> > (unix:get-pid)  (I think that was the line). It didn't know what the
>> > unix package was, somehow.
>>
>> > So, in light of all this, some more pointed questions:
>>
>> > a. What web servers have you successfully used to front-end Lisp
>> > systems on Intel Macs? If you're using Apache with mod-lisp (or
>> > mod-lisp2), are there customizations to be done for the Mac?I've used
>>
>> a) Apache (1.3.33) with mod_lisp.  I used the stock Apache that comes
>> with OS X Tiger.  Follow the instructions on the mod_lisp site, add
>> appropriate LoadModule and AddModule directives to httpd.conf, and
>> you're all set.
>>
>> b) Araneida - under LispWorks.
>>
>> > b. I normally use a non-admin personal account, and log in as admin
>> > when needed. Should all of my installations of Lispbox / Lisp
>> > distributions be done using admin? I'm just concerned that I'm running
>> > into some baroque permissions issues under the hood, when using my
>> > non-admin account.You'll probably be all right running as admin all the time.  It'll be
>> a lot more convenient than switching users all the time, and OS X
>> always authenticates you before doing anything serious to your system.
>
> Done - I suspect doing the "right thing" was causing problems. Should I
> need to be root to do any of the configurations / installations? Or
> just an admin?

There is no root account by default on OS X.  If you are an
administrator and you need root privileges, you just run sudo.

> Also, do you prefer the Apache/mod_lisp route to Araneida, or vice
> versa? My apps are going to be fairly simple web / SQL apps, so I don't
> need anything fancy.

I think my favorite configuration is Hutchentoot (n�e TBNL) with
mod_lisp in front.  Araneida doesn't seem to be under terribly active
development, and it's still somewhat barebones and lacking in
documentation.  I'd use either mod_lisp or mod_proxy to hook Apache up
to a Hutchentoot.
From: Rahul Jain
"erk" <·········@gmail.com> writes:

> I truly apologize if these questions are dumb, but I may be numb from
> beating my head against this for over a month. I've done a lot of
> reading, so perhaps the problem is between my ears. I'm just hoping a
> new perspective will help me.

From the looks of things, you have enough between your ears to
acknowledge that there might be a problem there. That's a step up from
most newbies. I see a great future for you as a Lisper. :)

Rahul Jain
·····@nyct.net
Professional Software Developer, Amateur Quantum Mechanicist
From: erk
On Oct 11, 8:52 pm, Rahul Jain <····@nyct.net> wrote:
> "erk" <·········@gmail.com> writes:
> > I truly apologize if these questions are dumb, but I may be numb from
> > beating my head against this for over a month. I've done a lot of
> > reading, so perhaps the problem is between my ears. I'm just hoping a
> > new perspective will help me.From the looks of things, you have enough between your ears to
> acknowledge that there might be a problem there. That's a step up from
> most newbies. I see a great future for you as a Lisper. :)

Uh... thank you?
From: Rahul Jain
"erk" <·········@gmail.com> writes:

> On Oct 11, 8:52 pm, Rahul Jain <····@nyct.net> wrote:
>> "erk" <·········@gmail.com> writes:
>> > I truly apologize if these questions are dumb, but I may be numb from
>> > beating my head against this for over a month. I've done a lot of
>> > reading, so perhaps the problem is between my ears. I'm just hoping a
>> > new perspective will help me.From the looks of things, you have enough between your ears to
>> acknowledge that there might be a problem there. That's a step up from
>> most newbies. I see a great future for you as a Lisper. :)
>
> Uh... thank you?

Haha. You had to be there. That is, here, to see how newbies typically
behave. But you may have seen how they behave in other groups, and it's
not too different here, except that here we've already solved all their
difficult problems, and they can't accept that fact. ;)

From: ·····@yahoo.com
erk wrote:
> OK, now that I've packed every keyword I can in the subject line...

here was my attempt - CLiki (still down) unicode enhanced pAS on SBCL
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.lisp/tree/browse_frm/thread/5f9254d2682474bf/f04c7c0554b5b47d?rnum=1&hl=en&_done=%2Fgroup%2Fcomp.lang.lisp%2Fbrowse_frm%2Fthread%2F5f9254d2682474bf%2Ff04c7c0554b5b47d%3Flnk%3Draot%26hl%3Den%26#doc_2baca349c5ffe692

I concluded the OP was not using threads,
Is there always a Thread 0 for non-threaded apps?

> 1. Downloaded a binary version of SBCL purported to run on Intel OS X.
> Actually, this worked fine - I can use SLIME in Aquamacs, Carbon Emacs,
> and emacs in Terminal (command line). At least for simple Lisp
> programs, which I'd now like to convert to Web apps.

I read that Intel Darwin threads were experimental (not compiled in by
default)
MacPorts just got 0.9.17, nor does the SF binary have :sb-threads in
*features*
From: ·····@yahoo.com
I wrote:
> erk wrote:
> > OK, now that I've packed every keyword I can in the subject line...
>
> here was my attempt -

> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.lisp/tree/browse_frm/thread/5f9254d2682474bf/f04c7c0554b5b47d?rnum=1&hl=en&_done=%2Fgroup%2Fcomp.lang.lisp%2Fbrowse_frm%2Fthread%2F5f9254d2682474bf%2Ff04c7c0554b5b47d%3Flnk%3Draot%26hl%3Den%26#doc_2baca349c5ffe692

> CLiki (still down) unicode enhanced pAS on SBCL

http://www.cliki.net/Portable%20Allegroserve%20Enhanced%20Version%20for%20SBCL

I can enter LDB manually, but it does not seem to catch
illegal instruction.

http://sbcl-internals.cliki.net/ldb
From: Frank Goenninger DG1SBG
"erk" <·········@gmail.com> writes:

> OK, now that I've packed every keyword I can in the subject line...
>
> I'm an experienced software developer seeking escape from the shackles
> of J2EE, and having read much about Lisp (e.g. all of Practical Common
> Lisp), it seems to be a language to love.

Welcome to Lisp Land.

> This is going to be something of
> a core dump, but I would appreciate comments on ANY of the below, and
> the Lisp on Intel OS X situation in general.

I am successfully using AllegroCL 8.0 (= ACL) on my MacBook Pro with 2 GB of
RAM. Also, SLIME is the front end for ACL. Works great.

I installed ACL in /opt/acl/acl80_x86. SLIME sits in /opt/slime. ASDF
is in /opt/asdf and ASDF site packages go into
/opt/asdf/site-packages. (This is what *central-registry* evals to)

This setup requires root (admin) privs to make changes - sort of a
safety measure as I am working normally with a non-admin account as
you do, too. If you need setup files: drop me an email on frgo at mac
dot com.

> Thanks for your time,
>
> - Eric

Nice to see the Mac OS X + Lisp community is building up ...

Cheers
   Frank