From: Xavier Maillard
Subject: Logging facility package ?
Hi,

Do you know any logging facility package ?

I googled but I just found one: log4cl.

It is just too limitted and not really maintained anymore so, I am
looking for something else.

I was told arnesi by Marco Baringer does the same but I could not find
any good documentation on what it can do or not and how to do it.

Regards
--
Xavier

From: Paolo Amoroso
Subject: Re: Logging facility package ?
Xavier Maillard <·····@gnu.org> writes:

> Do you know any logging facility package ?

See also:

  cl-syslog
  http://common-lisp.net/project/cl-syslog/

Paolo
--
Why Lisp? http://wiki.alu.org/RtL%20Highlight%20Film
The Common Lisp Directory: http://www.cl-user.net
From: Xavier Maillard
Paolo Amoroso <·······@mclink.it> writes:

> Xavier Maillard <·····@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> Do you know any logging facility package ?
>
> See also:
>
>   cl-syslog

Hum yes. I know this package.

What I want is something as simple as this:

1. open a log file and write into it
2. log everything on a console at the same time

cl-syslog does not provide such facilities, does it ?

--
Xavier
From: GP lisper
On Sat, 07 Oct 2006 13:25:10 +0200, <·····@gnu.org> wrote:
> Paolo Amoroso <·······@mclink.it> writes:
>
>> Xavier Maillard <·····@gnu.org> writes:
>>
>>> Do you know any logging facility package ?
>>   cl-syslog
>
> What I want is something as simple as this:
>
> 1. open a log file and write into it
> 2. log everything on a console at the same time
>
> cl-syslog does not provide such facilities, does it ?

That is something you can do with syslog-ng.  Your 'log file' is a
flagged pipe, anything for that flag is sent to whatever output you
like, console is easy.  Do it with filters and in-out syntax.

Even simpler, just have lisp write to an ordinary file, and run 'tail
-f' on that file whereever you want the console view.  There are
hundreds of solutions.

--
Reply-To email is ignored.

Xavier Maillard wrote:
> Paolo Amoroso <·······@mclink.it> writes:
>
>> Xavier Maillard <·····@gnu.org> writes:
>>
>>> Do you know any logging facility package ?
>> See also:
>>
>>   cl-syslog
>
> Hum yes. I know this package.
>
> What I want is something as simple as this:
>
> 1. open a log file and write into it
> 2. log everything on a console at the same time

Look up broadcast-stream in the HyperSpec. Is this all you need?

Pascal

--
My website: http://p-cos.net
From: Xavier Maillard
Pascal Costanza <··@p-cos.net> writes:

> Xavier Maillard wrote:
>> Paolo Amoroso <·······@mclink.it> writes:

>>> See also:
>>>
>>>   cl-syslog
>> Hum yes. I know this package.
>> What I want is something as simple as this:
>> 1. open a log file and write into it
>> 2. log everything on a console at the same time
>
> Look up broadcast-stream in the HyperSpec. Is this all you need?

That's exactly what I wanted to use. Thank you.
--
Xavier
From: Maciek Pasternacki

Such functionality is part of Arnesi: http://common-lisp.net/project/bese/arnesi.html

--
__    Maciek Pasternacki <·······@japhy.fnord.org> [ http://japhy.fnord.org/ ]
`| _   |_\  / { ...common sense is what tells you the world is flat. }
From: Xavier Maillard
Maciek Pasternacki <·······@japhy.fnord.org> writes:

> On Setting Orange, Bureaucracy 61, 3172 YOLD, Xavier Maillard wrote:
>
>> What I want is something as simple as this:
>>
>> 1. open a log file and write into it
>> 2. log everything on a console at the same time
>
> Such functionality is part of Arnesi: http://common-lisp.net/project/bese/arnesi.html

Yes it seems to but I can't find any documentation on how to use it.

--
Xavier
From: Frank Goenninger DG1SBG
Xavier Maillard <·····@gnu.org> writes:

>> Xavier Maillard <·····@gnu.org> writes:
>>
>>> Do you know any logging facility package ?
>>
>> See also:
>>
>>   cl-syslog
>
> Hum yes. I know this package.

Do you know syslog (the unix logging facility) ?

> What I want is something as simple as this:
>
> 1. open a log file and write into it
> 2. log everything on a console at the same time
>
> cl-syslog does not provide such facilities, does it ?

It's not cl-syslog which has to provide these. It's a matter of how
you configure syslog itself (via syslog.conf).

Well worth a try if you want to do production quality software to be
shipped to customers. Most IT departments (of medium size and large
companies/businesses) have monitoring tools that capture syslog
entries and evaluate them.

But you didn't ask this so, why do I write this? Don't know. But I
love syslog ;-)

Frank
From: Xavier Maillard
Frank Goenninger DG1SBG <·············@nomail.org> writes:

> But you didn't ask this so, why do I write this? Don't know. But I
> love syslog ;-)

Problem is, my software needs to run on Unix/Linux systems plus the
Others� (Microsoft, ...)

That's why I am asking for something else.

--
Xavier