From: Javier
Subject: Strange thread problems on OSX
(Note: I've tried to send this to the sbcl-devel mailing list, but the
server rejects my messagge (error 451-Could not complete sender verify
callout), which I don't understand as I send the messagge directly from
my mail provider (gmail) and have succesfully verify my mail address
when suscribing as ussually.)

I think there are strange things happening when running on OSX. When
starting SBCL, the crash reporter shows the attached messagge.
Elsewhere, even showing this message, SBCL seems to continue working
as if nothing had happened, but the messagge is very annoying, as it
appears from time to time.
All of this started to happen when upgrading OSX from 10.4.7 to 10.4.8.

Thanks in advance.

Date/Time:      2006-10-02 06:17:22.212 +0200
OS Version:     10.4.8 (Build 8L2127)
Report Version: 4

Command: sbcl
Parent:  bash [2227]

Version: ??? (???)

PID:    2228

Exception:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes:      KERN_PROTECTION_FAILURE (0x0002) at 0x1017742c

Thread 0 Crashed:
0   <<00000000>>        0x1009720f 0 + 269054479

Thread 0 crashed with X86 Thread State (32-bit):
 eax: 0x1017742f    ebx: 0x00904f24 ecx: 0x0800000b edx: 0x1004347f
 edi: 0x00000000    esi: 0x00000000 ebp: 0x00904f24 esp: 0x00904ea4
  ss: 0x0000001f    efl: 0x00010246 eip: 0x1009720f  cs: 0x00000017
  ds: 0x0000001f     es: 0x0000001f  fs: 0x00000000  gs: 0x00000037

Binary Images Description:
   0x1000 -    0x16fff sbcl    /usr/local/bin/sbcl
0x8fe00000 - 0x8fe49fff dyld 46.9       /usr/lib/dyld
0x90000000 - 0x9016ffff libSystem.B.dylib
/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
0x901bf000 - 0x901c1fff libmathCommon.A.dylib
       /usr/lib/system/libmathCommon.A.dylib

Model: iMac4,1, BootROM IM41.0055.B03, 2 processors, Intel Core Duo, 2
GHz, 1.5 GB

From: Christophe Rhodes
Subject: Re: Strange thread problems on OSX
"Javier" <·······@gmail.com> writes:

> I think there are strange things happening when running on OSX. When
> starting SBCL, the crash reporter shows the attached messagge.
> Elsewhere, even showing this message, SBCL seems to continue working
> as if nothing had happened, but the messagge is very annoying, as it
> appears from time to time.
> All of this started to happen when upgrading OSX from 10.4.7 to 10.4.8.

Presumably this upgrade turned CrashReporter on.

See
<http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn2004/tn2123.html#SECLIMITATIONS>;
SBCL handles exceptions via signal handlers, and Crash Reporter
erroneously generates a crash log in those circumstances.  (Maybe if
more people reported running across this problem to Apple, they would
fix their Crash Reporter tool.  Maybe not.  Who knows?)

Christophe
From: Javier
Christophe Rhodes wrote:
> "Javier" <·······@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I think there are strange things happening when running on OSX. When
> > starting SBCL, the crash reporter shows the attached messagge.
> > Elsewhere, even showing this message, SBCL seems to continue working
> > as if nothing had happened, but the messagge is very annoying, as it
> > appears from time to time.
> > All of this started to happen when upgrading OSX from 10.4.7 to 10.4.8.
>
> Presumably this upgrade turned CrashReporter on.
>
> See
> <http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn2004/tn2123.html#SECLIMITATIONS>;
> SBCL handles exceptions via signal handlers, and Crash Reporter
> erroneously generates a crash log in those circumstances.  (Maybe if
> more people reported running across this problem to Apple, they would
> fix their Crash Reporter tool.  Maybe not.  Who knows?)

You're right. I loaded Onyx and saw that the Crash Reported changed
from Basic to Developer. I changed it to Basic and no annoying
messagges are happening anymore.
From: ·····@yahoo.com
Subject: how built Intel SBCL? Re: Strange thread problems on OSX
Javier wrote:
> I think there are strange things happening when running on OSX. When
> starting SBCL, the crash reporter shows the attached messagge.

> Model: iMac4,1, BootROM IM41.0055.B03, 2 processors, Intel Core Duo,

what did you use to build? your threaded, Intel OS/X SBCL
something like - a back-level xcode? additional features over
:sb-thread?

I mean I got my own /usr/local built, (bootstrap off of MacPorts) and
was trying
to use this pAS - <CLiki seems down at the moment, the SBCL unicode
enhanced one>
which "Illegal Instruction"s after idling a while.

anyone got debugging tips? Is there an LDB or something I should turn
on?
From: Javier
·····@yahoo.com ha escrito:

> Javier wrote:
> > I think there are strange things happening when running on OSX. When
> > starting SBCL, the crash reporter shows the attached messagge.

> > Model: iMac4,1, BootROM IM41.0055.B03, 2 processors, Intel Core Duo,
>
> what did you use to build? your threaded, Intel OS/X SBCL
> something like - a back-level xcode? additional features over
> :sb-thread?

I downloaded the binary version:

http://sbcl.sourceforge.net/platform-table.html

And works well, except when enabling the Apple crash reporter, which
you should disable using Onyx or any equivalent application.