From: Texaner
Subject: CLisp and Emacs/Slime
Hello,

I would like to use Clisp and Emacs/Slime on my Mac as I always did on
my PC. Installing these packages on my PC was always very easy. But on
my Mac I have got problems to install CLisp. I'm not familiar with
those "system things".

I do not want to use other Lisps because CLisp is the only
implementation that provides a real interpreter. And I also don't want
to use Lispbox because the Emacs, Slime and Clisp versions are not up
to date and can't be customised.

Does anybody how to install CLisp on a Mac resp. does anybody know a
weblink that explains how to install CLisp on a Mac? Detailed
information would be very helpful for me.

Thank you very much in advance.

Marcel

From: Bill Atkins
Subject: Re: CLisp and Emacs/Slime
"Texaner" <·········@web.de> writes:

> I do not want to use other Lisps because CLisp is the only
> implementation that provides a real interpreter.

Among the free implementations, SBCL is the only one that doesn't have
an interpreter.  The rest (and all the commercial implementations,
too, AFAIK) include an interpreter.  Why should this be a concern anyway?

> Does anybody how to install CLisp on a Mac resp. does anybody know a
> weblink that explains how to install CLisp on a Mac? Detailed
> information would be very helpful for me.

If you're on PowerPC, google for and install "fink".  Open up the
terminal, type "sudo fink install clisp", type your password, enjoy.

If you're on Intel, there's no fink package available yet.  Go to
http://clisp.cons.org, download and unpack the source, and follow the
instructions for building it.

All of this information could have been easily found with Google.
From: Juho Snellman
Bill Atkins <······@rpi.edu> wrote:
> "Texaner" <·········@web.de> writes:
>> I do not want to use other Lisps because CLisp is the only
>> implementation that provides a real interpreter.
>
> Among the free implementations, SBCL is the only one that doesn't have
> an interpreter.

SBCL has an interpreter as of 0.9.17. On the other hand, OpenMCL
doesn't have one. Depending on what the original poster means by a
"real" interpreter, CMUCL might not have one either (its interpreter
does minimal compilation).

--
Juho Snellman
From: Bill Atkins
Juho Snellman <······@iki.fi> writes:

> SBCL has an interpreter as of 0.9.17. On the other hand, OpenMCL

Thanks for the correction.
From: Texaner
Hello,

thanks for your answers. I tried the first above mentioned alternative
and installed fink/Clisp 2.32. Then I added (setq inferior-lisp-program
"clisp") to my .emacs file but starting slime under emacs effects to:

;;  Loaded file
/Users/deroxman/.slime/fasl/2006-04-20/clisp-2.32-unix-unknown/swank-gray.fas
/Users/deroxman/.slime/fasl/2006-04-20/clisp-2.32-unix-unknown/swank.fas
*** - COPY-PPRINT-DISPATCH: NIL is not a valid print dispatch table
Break 1 SWANK[2]>

What else is to do?

Furthermore I want to add why I want to use an interpreter. I find it
very, very helpful to trace my functions that contain bugs. For me it
is a very fast, convenient and in particular optical appealing way to
identify my coding mistakes especially those related to
recursive/tail-recursive functions. I am  able to see how the functions
and all the parameters evolve step by step. Some of you provided me
with some tips resp. compiler settings under OpenMCL a few month ago to
simulate tracing with an interpreter but the results were not
satisfying.

Thank you very much for your help in advance.

Marcel
From: Pascal Bourguignon
"Texaner" <·········@web.de> writes:

> Hello,
>
> thanks for your answers. I tried the first above mentioned alternative
> and installed fink/Clisp 2.32.

This is an old version.  2.33 was much more "stable".
Today, version 2.40 is delivered.
I'd download and compile the latest version...

PLEASE NOTE: Some quantum physics theories suggest that when the
consumer is not directly observing this product, it may cease to
exist or will exist only in a vague and undetermined state.
From: Chris Barts
On Sun, 01 Oct 2006 07:55:44 -0700, Texaner wrote:

> I do not want to use other Lisps because CLisp is the only
> implementation that provides a real interpreter.

I don't quite understand this. It's true that CLisp provides a fairly good
REPL without any external help, but Slime is better than anything CLisp on
its own provides and Slime puts the same interface on every Lisp system it
can talk to. CLisp, CMUCL, and SBCL all get the same interactive
environment.

If that isn't what you meant, please explain.

--
My address happens to be com (dot) gmail (at) usenet (plus) chbarts,
wardsback and translated.

> I would like to use Clisp and Emacs/Slime on my Mac as I always did on
> my PC. Installing these packages on my PC was always very easy. But on
> my Mac I have got problems to install CLisp. I'm not familiar with
> those "system things".
>
> I do not want to use other Lisps because CLisp is the only
> implementation that provides a real interpreter. And I also don't want
> to use Lispbox because the Emacs, Slime and Clisp versions are not up
> to date and can't be customised.
>
> Does anybody how to install CLisp on a Mac resp. does anybody know a
> weblink that explains how to install CLisp on a Mac? Detailed
> information would be very helpful for me.

There's not much difficulty in installing clisp on MacOSX.  Only some
stuff cannot be enabled.

Here is the last script I used to compile on MacOSX.  I've not tried
it with 2.39, (or CVS, 2.40 is close); perhaps some more stuff can be
enabled now.

#!/bin/bash
version=$(awk -F= '/PACKAGE_VERSION=/{print substr($2,2,index($2," ")-2);}' ./src/configure)
if [ $# -ge 1 ] ; then version=$1 ; shift ; fi
echo version=$version
rm -rf /tmp/clisp-${version}-build/
time ./configure \
     --prefix=/usr/local/languages/clisp-${version} \
     $(for m in \
           clx/new-clx \
           rawsock \
           regexp \
           syscalls \
        ; do \
        if expr "$m" : 'i18n\|regexp\|syscalls' >/dev/null;\
        then true already there ;\
        else echo -n "--with-module=$m  " ;\
        fi ; done) \
     --build /tmp/clisp-${version}-build \
     --install

# Not on
# Darwin Kernel Version 8.4.0: Tue Jan  3 18:22:10 PST 2006; root:xnu-792.6.56.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC
# Processor type: ppc970 (PowerPC 970)
#     --with-dynamic-ffi \
#           zlib \
#           wildcard \
#

# Not on MacOSX:
#           bindings/glibc \
#

# Missing libraries:
#           pcre \
#

# Missing FFI:
#           wildcard \
#

CONSUMER NOTICE: Because of the "uncertainty principle," it is
impossible for the consumer to simultaneously know both the precise
location and velocity of this product.