From: gavino
Subject: mapreduce did lispers ever do this?
http://labs.google.com/papers/mapreduce.html

From: Tim Bradshaw
Subject: Re: mapreduce did lispers ever do this?
gavino wrote:
> http://labs.google.com/papers/mapreduce.html

I've not read that paper recently, but I'm fairly sure that the
Connection Machines (at least the CM-1 and CM-2, later ones were rather
different and more conventional) supported this kind of operation, so
*Lisp would be worth looking at.  There was a simulator for it
somewhere, but I have no idea if it still exists.

--tim
From: John Thingstad
On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 09:26:37 +0100, gavino <········@yahoo.com> wrote:

> http://labs.google.com/papers/mapreduce.html

You might note that the tecnical director of Google is Peder Norvig.
(PAIP, AIMA, www.norvig.com)
The map-reduce algorithm is written in C for speed.
There is little doubt that a few lessons were learn't from Lisp however.

From: Tim Bradshaw
On 2006-11-30 17:52:17 +0000, "John Thingstad" <··············@chello.no> said:

> The map-reduce algorithm is written in C for speed.

I doubt for speed.  This is something that runs across huge clusters,
performance will be dominated by I/O.  There are plenty of other
reasons to write it in C but I doubt speed was one.