From: hyperstring.net ltd
Subject: A bit of Lisp fun
Hi Guys

Some of you will love this and some will hate it, little brainwave I
had.

http://search.hyperstring.net

It's running on our Lisp web server Lewis. We're only up to 3 servers,
they all monitor each other and send text messages if one of them falls
over, I'm hoping to be able to eventually get one to reboot the other
if it falls over under certain circumstances...this could be done with
an SSH shell or something?!

Anyway enjoy!

Paul
http://www.hyperstring.net

From: hyperstring.net ltd
Subject: Re: A bit of Lisp fun
From: Tim Lavoie

    Paul> Hi Guys Some of you will love this and some will hate it,
    Paul> little brainwave I had.

    Paul> http://search.hyperstring.net

    Paul> It's running on our Lisp web server Lewis. We're only up to
    Paul> 3 servers, they all monitor each other and send text
    Paul> messages if one of them falls over, I'm hoping to be able to
    Paul> eventually get one to reboot the other if it falls over
    Paul> under certain circumstances...this could be done with an SSH
    Paul> shell or something?!

    Paul> Anyway enjoy!

    Paul> Paul http://www.hyperstring.net

Hi Paul,

It appears quite dead at the moment. Well, pining anyway; the
connection is accepted, but no response comes back at all.

A couple of things to note.. SSH can indeed do what you need, as long
as you have the appropriate credentials. This could be password-based,
but SSH public keys are better. If you need to do things in an
automated fashion, keys without passphrases will work, but protect
them very well.

You might also want to check out how Erlang deals with distributed
communications, message passing and robust behaviour. Even if you use
Lisp, there's much to learn from a language tailored to this sort of
task.

  Cheers,
  Tim

--
There is is no reason for any individual to have a computer in their home.
                -- Ken Olsen (President of Digital Equipment Corporation),
From: hyperstring.net ltd
Tim Lavoie wrote:

>     Paul> Hi Guys Some of you will love this and some will hate it,
>     Paul> little brainwave I had.
>
>     Paul> http://search.hyperstring.net
>
>     Paul> It's running on our Lisp web server Lewis. We're only up to
>     Paul> 3 servers, they all monitor each other and send text
>     Paul> messages if one of them falls over, I'm hoping to be able to
>     Paul> eventually get one to reboot the other if it falls over
>     Paul> under certain circumstances...this could be done with an SSH
>     Paul> shell or something?!
>
>     Paul> Anyway enjoy!
>
>     Paul> Paul http://www.hyperstring.net
>
> Hi Paul,
>
> It appears quite dead at the moment. Well, pining anyway; the
> connection is accepted, but no response comes back at all.
>
> A couple of things to note.. SSH can indeed do what you need, as long
> as you have the appropriate credentials. This could be password-based,
> but SSH public keys are better. If you need to do things in an
> automated fashion, keys without passphrases will work, but protect
> them very well.
>
> You might also want to check out how Erlang deals with distributed
> communications, message passing and robust behaviour. Even if you use
> Lisp, there's much to learn from a language tailored to this sort of
> task.
>
>   Cheers,
>   Tim
>
> --
> There is is no reason for any individual to have a computer in their home.
>                 -- Ken Olsen (President of Digital Equipment Corporation),
>                    Convention of the World Future Society, in Boston, 1977

Thanks Tim - we are having a problem with Allegro CL in that it runs
fine for about 24 hours (under pressure!) but then comes up with
segmentation error, I'll chat with them later.

Anyway should all be up and running now.