From: ············@gmail.com
Subject: Lispbox with Aquamacs
I'd like to learn Common Lisp and a bit about databases. I have a G5
iMac. I found Peter's online book Practical Common Lisp
(http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/) and it looks great. The third
chapter dives right into creating a simple database application.
Perfect! I downloaded Listbox 0.7 with OpenMCL 1.0
(http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/lispbox/). It works fine but I really
don't care for Emacs. Is there decent, free alternative for me?

A friend recommended Lispworks' free Personal Edition
(http://www.lispworks.com/downloads/index.html) but I read the website
and it says "Layered product loading is not included i.e. CLIM,
KnowledgeWorks, SQL/ODBC, and CORBA are not available." Frankly I don't
know enough about Lisp yet to know what "layered product loading" is
but it sounds like it won't be able to work with databases. Is that
right?

I wasn't able to find any other free Mac lisp editors but I did find
Aquamacs 0.9.9d which behaves a bit more like editors I'm used to and
now comes with SLIME. Great! So I installed it and typed "M-x slime"
and... no go. I bit more research and I managed to set the variable
`inferior-lisp-program' via customization to
"/Applications/Lispbox/openmcl-1.0/dppccl". All right, ready to code!
"M-x slime".

Welcome to OpenMCL Version 1.0 (DarwinPPC32)!
Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/edit-modes/slime/swank-loader.lisp"...
;Compiling "/Applications/Lispbox/Aquamacs
Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/edit-modes/slime/swank-backend.lisp"...
#P"/Users/corey/.slime/fasl/2006-04-20/openmcl-1.0-darwin-powerpc/swank-backend.dfsl"...
;Compiling "/Applications/Lispbox/Aquamacs
Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/edit-modes/slime/nregex.lisp"...
#P"/Users/corey/.slime/fasl/2006-04-20/openmcl-1.0-darwin-powerpc/nregex.dfsl"...
;Compiling "/Applications/Lispbox/Aquamacs
Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/edit-modes/slime/metering.lisp"...
#P"/Users/corey/.slime/fasl/2006-04-20/openmcl-1.0-darwin-powerpc/metering.dfsl"...
;Compiling "/Applications/Lispbox/Aquamacs
Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/edit-modes/slime/swank-openmcl.lisp"...
;Compiler warnings for "/Applications/Lispbox/Aquamacs
Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/edit-modes/slime/swank-openmcl.lisp"
:
;   Unused lexical variable STREAM, in (MAKE-STREAM-INTERACTIVE (T)).
; Warning: Interface file #P"ccl:darwin-headers;libc;functions.cdb"
does not exist.
; While executing: CCL::CDB-OPEN
Read error between positions 10392 and 10507 in
/Applications/Lispbox/Aquamacs
Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/edit-modes/slime/swank-openmcl.lisp.
> Error in process listener(1): Foreign function not found: DARWIN32::|tmpnam|
> While executing: CCL::LOAD-EXTERNAL-FUNCTION
> Type :POP to abort.
Type :? for other options.
1 >

Sigh, I've been at this all afternoon. I'd appreciate a little help or
advice at this point. How do I get OpenMCL and SLIME working in
Aquamacs? Is there another editor I should be considering?

Thanks in advance.

Corey

From: Bill Atkins
Subject: Re: Lispbox with Aquamacs
············@gmail.com writes:

> I'd like to learn Common Lisp and a bit about databases. I have a G5
> iMac. I found Peter's online book Practical Common Lisp
> (http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/) and it looks great. The third
> chapter dives right into creating a simple database application.
> Perfect! I downloaded Listbox 0.7 with OpenMCL 1.0
> (http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/lispbox/). It works fine but I really
> don't care for Emacs. Is there decent, free alternative for me?

There is nothing that approaches Emacs's support for Lisp coding, as
far as I know.  There was some work being done on making a SLIME-alike
for vim, but I don't know anything about it.  Really, you should give
Emacs the benefit of the doubt.

> A friend recommended Lispworks' free Personal Edition
> (http://www.lispworks.com/downloads/index.html) but I read the website
> and it says "Layered product loading is not included i.e. CLIM,
> KnowledgeWorks, SQL/ODBC, and CORBA are not available." Frankly I don't
> know enough about Lisp yet to know what "layered product loading" is
> but it sounds like it won't be able to work with databases. Is that
> right?

It means you can't use Lispworks's CommonSQL database package.  The
open-source CLSQL is a clone of CommonSQL; you can use this or a
database-specific binding if you want "free" tools.
From: Larry Clapp
On 2006-11-27, ············@gmail.com <············@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd like to learn Common Lisp and a bit about databases. I have a G5
> iMac. I found Peter's online book Practical Common Lisp
> (http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/) and it looks great. The third
> chapter dives right into creating a simple database application.
> Perfect! I downloaded Listbox 0.7 with OpenMCL 1.0
> (http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/lispbox/). It works fine but I
> really don't care for Emacs. Is there decent, free alternative for
> me?

It depends on what you consider "decent".  :)  Do you like Vim?  See
here[1] for a Vim plugin I wrote called VILisp that automates
cut-and-paste from Vim to Lisp.  VILisp pales in comparison to Emacs
with Slime, though.

See here[2] for Vim linked directly to ECL (support still minimal,
though); and see here[3] for information on slim-vim, the Slime for
Vim project.

Frankly, if you don't need any of Slime's or Emacs's bells and
whistles, and you like Vim, I'd go with VILisp at the moment.  The ECL
support for Vim is still minimal, as I mentioned, and slim-vim still
has lots of missing features and some pretty major bugs, so really
only the developers should be using it just yet.

-- Larry Clapp

[1] http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=221
[2] http://wiki.alu.org/Vim_ECL
[3] http://wiki.alu.org/Slim-Vim
From: bradb
On Nov 27, 9:14 am, Larry Clapp <····@theclapp.org> wrote:
> On 2006-11-27, ············@gmail.com <············@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I'd like to learn Common Lisp and a bit about databases. I have a G5
> > iMac. I found Peter's online book Practical Common Lisp
> > (http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/) and it looks great. The third
> > chapter dives right into creating a simple database application.
> > Perfect! I downloaded Listbox 0.7 with OpenMCL 1.0
> > (http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/lispbox/). It works fine but I
> > really don't care for Emacs. Is there decent, free alternative for
> > me?It depends on what you consider "decent".  :)  Do you like Vim?  See
> here[1] for a Vim plugin I wrote called VILisp that automates
> cut-and-paste from Vim to Lisp.  VILisp pales in comparison to Emacs
> with Slime, though.
>
> See here[2] for Vim linked directly to ECL (support still minimal,
> though); and see here[3] for information on slim-vim, the Slime for
> Vim project.
>
> Frankly, if you don't need any of Slime's or Emacs's bells and
> whistles, and you like Vim, I'd go with VILisp at the moment.  The ECL
> support for Vim is still minimal, as I mentioned, and slim-vim still
> has lots of missing features and some pretty major bugs, so really
> only the developers should be using it just yet.
>
> -- Larry Clapp
>
> [1]http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=221
> [2]http://wiki.alu.org/Vim_ECL
> [3]http://wiki.alu.org/Slim-Vim

You might want to check out Viper for Emacs.  I posted to the Slim-vim
mailing list [1] with a bunch of useful mappings.

Cheers
Brad

[1] http://www.lispniks.com/pipermail/slim-vim/2006-November/000538.html
From: Javier
············@gmail.com ha escrito:

> How do I get OpenMCL and SLIME working in
> Aquamacs?

I use Aquamacs and SLIME and SBCL.
SBCL is very nice, and it is going to be the standard open source Lisp
implementation in the very next future (if it is not already).

> Is there another editor I should be considering?

For an open source editor, only Emacs and derivatives are worth of it.
Try getting used to Emacs, it is a very good programming editor once
you understand it.
From: Corey
Thanks to all that responded and a big thanks to Gary from Clozure.com
who emailed and pointed out that my inferior-lisp-program setting was
wrong and that I'd have to tweak my openmcl script as well. For anyone
following in my footsteps here are the correct settings I figured out:

In Aquamacs Emacs set `inferior-lisp-program' to
"/Applications/Lispbox/openmcl-1.0/scripts/openmcl"

Open "/Applications/Lispbox/openmcl-1.0/scripts/openmcl" and set
CCL_DEFAULT_DIRECTORY to /Applications/Lispbox/openmcl-1.0

Ready to rock with Aquamac Emacs and Lispbox!

Corey