From: tinku99
Subject: web crawler and search engine in lisp
I would like to create a lisp based search engine.
Has anyone done any work on this?

From: hyperstring.net ltd
Subject: Re: web crawler and search engine in lisp
tinku99 wrote:
> I would like to create a lisp based search engine.
> Has anyone done any work on this?

Hi There

We have done a LOT of work with the web - your main issues are:-

- Handling a LOT of traffic mostly unwanted - including people who
insist on trying to hack your site as if it's an Apache or IIS site!
(we get this a lot),
- Dealing with a LOT of data - searching it fast - MYSQL has to be
configured in a certain way to work under this kind of pressure when
you are doing a LOT of searches and inserts, for example we found it
was totally impossible to write logging information to a database, we
actually had to do it by using text files (just like IIS and apache
actually - there is a reason!).

If you use something like ALLEGROSERVE with SBCL you will want to use
Allegro common Lisp  itself we found that Allegro Common Lisp worked
really well and was really stable under pressure. If you are in the UK
we can help with this.

Paul
http://www.hyperstring.net
From: ················@Web.de
tinku99 wrote:
> I would like to create a lisp based search engine.
> Has anyone done any work on this?

Hi,

I have created a search engine backend for crawling, re-visiting and
feeding off of a ping server (currently weblogs.com). It is focused on
blogs and other live or structured data (e.g. Feeds and Microformats).
The main work done so far focused on getting it to run fast (currently
around 100 simultaneous connections) and stable despite the wilderness
out there on the web.

One possible business model involves offering derivative data products
to third parties via an API, so if you want to work on a front-end we
might be able to collaborate.

On the other hand if you'd care to ask more specific questions, I'll be
happy to provide more information.

Cheers,

Chris Laux

http://www.artofcomputing.net/
From: hyperstring.net ltd
················@Web.de wrote:
> tinku99 wrote:
> > I would like to create a lisp based search engine.
> > Has anyone done any work on this?
>
> Hi,
>
> I have created a search engine backend for crawling, re-visiting and
> feeding off of a ping server (currently weblogs.com). It is focused on
> blogs and other live or structured data (e.g. Feeds and Microformats).
> The main work done so far focused on getting it to run fast (currently
> around 100 simultaneous connections) and stable despite the wilderness
> out there on the web.
>
> One possible business model involves offering derivative data products
> to third parties via an API, so if you want to work on a front-end we
> might be able to collaborate.
>
> On the other hand if you'd care to ask more specific questions, I'll be
> happy to provide more information.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Chris Laux
>
> http://www.artofcomputing.net/

Sent you an email Chris

If you don't get it please get in touch - a Lewis server or 5 with Ajax
would provide you with a really unique proposition

Paul
http://www.hyperstring.net
From: Paolo Amoroso
"tinku99" <···········@gmail.com> writes:

> I would like to create a lisp based search engine.
> Has anyone done any work on this?

See:

  Montezuma
  http://projects.heavymeta.org/montezuma/

Paolo
--
Why Lisp? http://wiki.alu.org/RtL%20Highlight%20Film
The Common Lisp Directory: http://www.cl-user.net
From: tinku99
Hi thanks for the informative link.
The fact that i didn't find it using search shows there is improvement
to be done on search engines...

I am specifically looking to create a custom search engine for
radiology or medicine (I am a radiologist in training).  I will have
some academic funding soon which i'd like to devote to a lisp search
engine.

My motivation is that although i have a customed search engine using
google:
http://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=009577865717141731876%3Azt_wady8tis
I would like control over the search index database.
tinku99 wrote:

> I would like control over the search index database.

In what way would you like to control the index?

I could configure my spider in a similar way to Google Co-op, i.e.
focusing on specific domains/sites, and provide an index for you or
others to further work on.

Chris