From: gavino
Subject: why isn't sussman owner of big software firm if he invented scheme?
Why doesn't sussman have a software firm that dominates the industry?
Or at least makes more than www.sugarcrm.com, a hunk of php crap I had
to bitterly support and teach thier own support teks how to use for 12
months.....??!

From: sticky_keys
gavino wrote:
> Why doesn't sussman have a software firm that dominates the industry?

Because he's above that.

> Or at least makes more than www.sugarcrm.com, a hunk of php crap I had
> to bitterly support and teach thier own support teks how to use for 12
> months.....??!

Because he'll never be as desperate for work as you.
From: Alex Mizrahi
(message (Hello 'sticky_keys)
(you :wrote  :on '(16 Nov 2006 14:05:28 -0800))
(

 ??>> Why doesn't sussman have a software firm that dominates the industry?

 sk> Because he's above that.

by the way, as for great haskell'er John Hughes:

"That's right, the illustrious John Hughes is dropping out of school to do
an Erlang startup!"

http://lambda-the-ultimate.org/node/1827

)
"People who lust for the Feel of keys on their fingertips (c) Inity")
From: Charlton Wilbur

    g> Why doesn't sussman have a software firm that dominates the
    g> industry?

Because he's a tenured professor at MIT, which means he doesn't have
to worry about income or job security, and he has better (read: more
interesting) things to do.

Charlton

--
Charlton Wilbur
·······@chromatico.net
From: Thomas Lindgren
"gavino" <········@yahoo.com> writes:

> Why doesn't sussman have a software firm that dominates the industry?
> Or at least makes more than www.sugarcrm.com, a hunk of php crap I had
> to bitterly support and teach thier own support teks how to use for 12
> months.....??!

Why are the trolls so bloody dull these days?

--
Thomas Lindgren

"Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."
From: Christopher Koppler
On Nov 16, 10:34 pm, Thomas Lindgren wrote:

> Why are the trolls so bloody dull these days?

All the intelligent trolls have been scared away by Kenny.
From: Ken Tilton
Christopher Koppler wrote:
> On Nov 16, 10:34 pm, Thomas Lindgren wrote:
>

>>Why are the trolls so bloody dull these days?
>

> All the intelligent trolls have been scared away by Kenny.

Fortunately we can look for the species to recover now that I am busy with:

   http://www.tilton-technology.com/LispNYCAlgebra1.pdf

You may have to D/L fast before Reader goes belly-up when running under
FireFox (or just "save link location" or something, but I crashed three
times (after ten seconds or so)). That covers the first half, and the
video of the second half:

   ftp://lispnyc.org/meeting-assets/2006-11-15_algebra1/

...pisses off ftp running under FireFox, so you cannot see that either.

Ain't computers grand?

:)

kenny

From: Wolfram Fenske
Ken Tilton <·········@gmail.com> writes:

> Christopher Koppler wrote:
>> On Nov 16, 10:34 pm, Thomas Lindgren wrote:

[...]

> half, and the video of the second half:
>
>    ftp://lispnyc.org/meeting-assets/2006-11-15_algebra1/
>
> ...pisses off ftp running under FireFox, so you cannot see that
> either.

Well, Firefox tells me the file is not a directory.  This is true, but
I think the real problem is that you forgot to give read permission to
"others":

ftp> get IMGP0999.MOV
229 Extended passive mode on (|||58604|)
550 'IMGP0999.MOV': Permission denied
ftp> ls -l
229 Extended passive mode on (|||49919|)
150 Starting ASCII transfer for file listing.
total 243681
-rwx------   1 heow     webstaff 249286630 Nov 16 16:31 IMGP0999.MOV

Wolfram Fenske

A: Yes.
From: Ken Tilton
Wolfram Fenske wrote:
> Ken Tilton <·········@gmail.com> writes:
>

>>Christopher Koppler wrote:
>>
>>>On Nov 16, 10:34 pm, Thomas Lindgren wrote:
>

> [...]
>

>>half, and the video of the second half:
>>
>>   ftp://lispnyc.org/meeting-assets/2006-11-15_algebra1/
>>
>>...pisses off ftp running under FireFox, so you cannot see that
>>either.
>

> Well, Firefox tells me the file is not a directory.  This is true, but
> I think the real problem is that you forgot to give read permission to
> "others":

Thx, I'll pass it along to proper authorities. kt

From: lurker
Wolfram Fenske wrote:

> Ken Tilton <·········@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Christopher Koppler wrote:
>>> On Nov 16, 10:34 pm, Thomas Lindgren wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> half, and the video of the second half:
>>
>>    ftp://lispnyc.org/meeting-assets/2006-11-15_algebra1/
>>
>> ...pisses off ftp running under FireFox, so you cannot see that
>> either.
>
> Well, Firefox tells me the file is not a directory.  This is true, but
> I think the real problem is that you forgot to give read permission to
> "others":

No problems viewing the file in konqueror.
From: Ken Tilton
lurker wrote:
> Wolfram Fenske wrote:
>

>>Ken Tilton <·········@gmail.com> writes:

>>[...]
>>

>>>half, and the video of the second half:
>>>
>>>   ftp://lispnyc.org/meeting-assets/2006-11-15_algebra1/
>>>
>>>...pisses off ftp running under FireFox, so you cannot see that
>>>either.
>>
>>Well, Firefox tells me the file is not a directory.  This is true, but
>>I think the real problem is that you forgot to give read permission to
>>"others":
>

> No problems viewing the file in konqueror.

The MOV video? You have a first. But if you mean the PDF write-up...
turns out other(s) on win32/firefox have been able to read the PDF sans
issue. Well, I am massaging it and will try HTML next so the write-up
may be a non-issue by manana sometime.

kt

From: Wolfram Fenske
Ken Tilton <·········@gmail.com> writes:

> lurker wrote:
>> Wolfram Fenske wrote:

>>>Well, Firefox tells me the file is not a directory.  This is true, but
>>>I think the real problem is that you forgot to give read permission to
>>>"others":
>> No problems viewing the file in konqueror.
>
> The MOV video? You have a first.

I'd be surprised.  But in any case, apparently somebody disabled
anonymous access to the server.  Before, I was at least able to log
on, but now even that doesn't work anymore:

[·······@hondo: ~]
$ ftp ftp://lispnyc.org/meeting-assets/2006-11-15_algebra1/
Connected to lispnyc.org.
220 LispNYC.org
331 Password required for anonymous.
530 Login incorrect.
ftp: Login failed.
ftp: Can't connect or login to host `lispnyc.org'
221 Goodbye.
[·······@hondo: ~]
$ ftp lispnyc.org
Connected to lispnyc.org.
220 LispNYC.org
Name (lispnyc.org:wfenske): anonymous
331 Password required for anonymous.
Password: [I typed in an email address]
530 Login incorrect.
ftp: Login failed.

It's the same in Firefox.

--
Wolfram Fenske

A: Yes.
From: Ken Tilton
Wolfram Fenske wrote:
> Ken Tilton <·········@gmail.com> writes:
>

>>lurker wrote:

>>>No problems viewing the file in konqueror.
>>
>>The MOV video? You have a first.
>

> I'd be surprised.  But in any case, apparently somebody disabled
> anonymous access to the server.  Before, I was at least able to log
> on, but now even that doesn't work anymore:

Ah, OK, I was wondering. I gather the FTP Server is being upgraded.
Maybe they disabled logins in the interim? Or missed an install option?
Anyway, The Powers That Be have been alerted. Thx again.

kt

From: Ken Tilton

> Ah, OK, I was wondering. I gather the FTP Server is being upgraded.
> Maybe they disabled logins in the interim? Or missed an install option?
> Anyway, The Powers That Be have been alerted. Thx again.

In the meantime, now as HTML:

http://www.tilton-technology.com/LispNycAlgebra1.htm

kt

From: Frank Buss
Ken Tilton wrote:

> In the meantime, now as HTML:
>
> http://www.tilton-technology.com/LispNycAlgebra1.htm

Nice introduction for your software, but I'm missing the maybe interesting
presentation of your software. And was it written in Lisp?

--
Frank Buss, ··@frank-buss.de
From: Ken Tilton
Frank Buss wrote:
> Ken Tilton wrote:
>

>>In the meantime, now as HTML:
>>
>>http://www.tilton-technology.com/LispNycAlgebra1.htm
>

> Nice introduction for your software, but I'm missing the maybe interesting
> presentation of your software.

Yeah, that was the real fun. Let's see what is on the video when the ftp
thang gets sorted out.

> And was it written in Lisp?

It was originally prototyped in Logo and then ported to C. It is being
rewritten from scratch in CL, atop Cello, CelloTk (a Celtk subset
stripped of support for Tk widgets), and Cells. Cello uses bindings to
C/C++ GraphicsMagick, OpenGL, FTGL, and OpenAl, though I am using Tcl's
Snack API for sound since it is simpler and I do not need 3D.

kt

From: Kaz Kylheku
Ken Tilton wrote:
> Ain't computers grand?

Not all of them. I only have space for an upright.
From: Lars Rune Nøstdal
On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 11:56:20 -0800, gavino wrote:

> Why doesn't sussman have a software firm that dominates the industry?
> Or at least makes more than www.sugarcrm.com, a hunk of php crap I had
> to bitterly support and teach thier own support teks how to use for 12
> months.....??!

Why don't you ask him? I dunno; maybe being an entrepreneur wasn't his thing.

Maybe it's the same with musicians; some have more focus on the music than
the money-making schemes.

--
Lars Rune Nøstdal
http://lars.nostdal.org/
From: Ron Garret
In article <························@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
 "gavino" <········@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Why doesn't sussman have a software firm that dominates the industry?

See:

http://rondam.blogspot.com/2006/10/top-ten-geek-business-myths.html

particularly myth #1.

rg