From: ibpratibha
Subject: Lisp and ERP
I am interested in developing an ERP ('enterprise resource planning')
system using Lisp. At the moment, I know Lisp well but not much about
design of ERP software. Has anyone been down this path before?

Am looking for suggestions/pointers on:
1) a good reference on ERP to get up to speed quickly on that
application domain; and
2) any articles or code related to how the use of Lisp can be used to
advantage in ERP.

If there is not much public writings or code about Lisp/ERP, I wonder
whether that is because:
a. There is not much to write about -- i.e., if you know ERP and you
know Lisp, it is obvious what you have to do?
b. Any Lisp/ERP development tends to be proprietary?
c. Any Lisp/ERP development tends to be very specific to a (class of)
company, and thus not 'sufficiently generalizable' ?
d. ?

Thanks in advance.

From: Prabu
Subject: Re: Lisp and ERP
>1) a good reference on ERP to get up to speed quickly on that
> application domain;

Lots of ERP projects are there in http://sourceforge.net
(but i dont know any project done in lisp)
From: Ken Tilton
ibpratibha wrote:
> I am interested in developing an ERP ('enterprise resource planning')
> system using Lisp. At the moment, I know Lisp well but not much about
> design of ERP software.

Horse. Cart. Please note order.

hth, kt

From: Rob Warnock
Ken Tilton  <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
+---------------
| ibpratibha wrote:
| > I am interested in developing an ERP ('enterprise resource planning')
| > system using Lisp. At the moment, I know Lisp well but not much about
| > design of ERP software.
|
| Horse. Cart. Please note order.
+---------------

Master Kenneth has imparted the pith instruction.
The superior student will grasp the meaning directly
in a single moment, without hesitation, as if harvesting
nettles. Others may require a gentler explication, e.g.:

It is far easier for an accountant to learn programming than
for a programmer to learn accounting. The same is true for ERP.
To be a good business programmer, one must first know business.

-Rob

-----
Rob Warnock			<····@rpw3.org>
627 26th Avenue			<URL:http://rpw3.org/>
San Mateo, CA 94403		(650)572-2607
From: Christopher Browne
After takin a swig o' Arrakan spice grog, "ibpratibha" <··········@yahoo.com> belched out:
> I am interested in developing an ERP ('enterprise resource planning')
> system using Lisp. At the moment, I know Lisp well but not much about
> design of ERP software. Has anyone been down this path before?
>
> Am looking for suggestions/pointers on:
> 1) a good reference on ERP to get up to speed quickly on that
> application domain; and
> 2) any articles or code related to how the use of Lisp can be used to
> advantage in ERP.
>
> If there is not much public writings or code about Lisp/ERP, I wonder
> whether that is because:
> a. There is not much to write about -- i.e., if you know ERP and you
> know Lisp, it is obvious what you have to do?
> b. Any Lisp/ERP development tends to be proprietary?
> c. Any Lisp/ERP development tends to be very specific to a (class of)
> company, and thus not 'sufficiently generalizable' ?
> d. ?

You'd better also be pretty intimate with databases (e.g. - SQL), as
well.

ERP systems involve *enormous* data storage requirements, as they are
tracking any number of sorts of transactions, relating to materiels
management as well as financial accounting.
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="gmail.com" in name ^ ·@" ^ tld;;
http://linuxfinances.info/info/finances.html
From: John Thingstad
On Fri, 10 Nov 2006 05:00:13 +0100, ibpratibha <··········@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> enterprise resource planning

Came up on my first search entry with google.