From: Gene Ash
Subject: Lisp Syntax color highlight in Lisp Box
Hi,

I am accessing Allegro Lisp listener using "Lisp Box" in windows (which
uses emacs and slime). Is there anyway to enable lisp syntax highlight
in color?

Thanks,
Jan

From: Lars Rune Nøstdal
Subject: Re: Lisp Syntax color highlight in Lisp Box
On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 01:00:11 -0800, Gene Ash wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am accessing Allegro Lisp listener using "Lisp Box" in windows (which
> uses emacs and slime). Is there anyway to enable lisp syntax highlight
> in color?

M-x global-font-lock-mode

You can reach the same option in the menu-bar at the top.

--
Lars Rune Nøstdal
http://lars.nostdal.org/
From: Gene Ash
Hi Lars Rune,

Even on selecting this option, the syntax does not get highlighted in
color. Please help.

Cheers,
Gene

From: Gene Ash
Hi,

I am sorry, the syntax highlighting in color is working when I open any
buffer containing lisp code. Thank you.

Cheers,
Gene

From: Rob Thorpe
Gene Ash wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am sorry, the syntax highlighting in color is working when I open any
> buffer containing lisp code. Thank you.
>
> Cheers,
> Gene
>
> Gene Ash wrote:
> > Hi Lars Rune,
> >
> > Even on selecting this option, the syntax does not get highlighted in
> > color. Please help.

And if you type:
M-x customize-variable RET
global-font-lock-mode

Toggle the state to "on" then select State->Save for future Sessions

It will always do this.
From: Gene Ash
Hi Rob,

Thanks for the valuable information, but this does not work for me.
Even though I did the change to the variable value (using
customize-variable) and "saved for future sessions", still the state is
reset to default (old state) when I open a new session. Please help.

Thanks,
Gene

From: Rob Thorpe
Gene Ash wrote:
> Hi Rob,
>
> Thanks for the valuable information, but this does not work for me.
> Even though I did the change to the variable value (using
> customize-variable) and "saved for future sessions", still the state is
> reset to default (old state) when I open a new session. Please help.

Strange.

Emacs store it's configuration information in a file called ".emacs".
Normally this file is stored in the users home directory.  In *nix this
directory will normally be "/home/jrt" for example. In Windows Emacs
will look in "C:\Document and Settings\Robert Thorpe\" and "C:\" since
Windows didn't always have home directories.

When you "save for future sessions" Emacs creates a .emac file and puts
it in your home directory.  The reason what you have done doesn't work
may be that Emacs doesn't permission to write to this directory.

Another possibility is that you are using a free *nix distribution that
does eccentric things to Emacs configuration.
From: Peder O. Klingenberg
"Rob Thorpe" <·······@realworldtech.com> writes:

> Emacs store it's configuration information in a file called ".emacs".
> Normally this file is stored in the users home directory.  In *nix this
> directory will normally be "/home/jrt" for example. In Windows Emacs
> will look in "C:\Document and Settings\Robert Thorpe\" and "C:\" since
> Windows didn't always have home directories.

I believe the OP said he was using Lispbox.  According to
<http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/lispbox/> the lispbox-bundled emacs
won't read your .emacs.

I've never used lispbox and don't know how to change that setting,
sorry.

...Peder...
--
I wish a new life awaited _me_ in some off-world colony.
From: Rob Thorpe
Peder O. Klingenberg wrote:
> "Rob Thorpe" <·······@realworldtech.com> writes:
>
> > Emacs store it's configuration information in a file called ".emacs".
> > Normally this file is stored in the users home directory.  In *nix this
> > directory will normally be "/home/jrt" for example. In Windows Emacs
> > will look in "C:\Document and Settings\Robert Thorpe\" and "C:\" since
> > Windows didn't always have home directories.
>
> I believe the OP said he was using Lispbox.  According to
> <http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/lispbox/> the lispbox-bundled emacs
> won't read your .emacs.

Ugh.

> I've never used lispbox and don't know how to change that setting,
> sorry.

Neither do I, I've only used the "lispbox without emacs" build, when it
existed.

To the OP ...
Normal Emacs for Windows can be found at:-
http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/emacs/windows/emacs-21.3-fullbin-i386.tar.gz

Does anyone else know how to fix this problem with Lispbox?
From: Bill Atkins
"Rob Thorpe" <·······@realworldtech.com> writes:

> To the OP ...
> Normal Emacs for Windows can be found at:-
> http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/emacs/windows/emacs-21.3-fullbin-i386.tar.gz

If you're going to use Emacs on Windows, you should use EmacsW32:

  http://www.ourcomments.org/Emacs/EmacsW32.html
From: Rob Thorpe
Bill Atkins wrote:
> "Rob Thorpe" <·······@realworldtech.com> writes:
>
> > To the OP ...
> > Normal Emacs for Windows can be found at:-
> > http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/emacs/windows/emacs-21.3-fullbin-i386.tar.gz
>
> If you're going to use Emacs on Windows, you should use EmacsW32:
>
>   http://www.ourcomments.org/Emacs/EmacsW32.html

Maybe if your a new Emacs user, it's certainly easy to install.
I've used Emacs for a long time, I don't want some strange variant of
Emacs different from the *nix version I also use and I certainly don't
want to use a nightly build.
From: Bill Atkins
"Rob Thorpe" <·······@realworldtech.com> writes:

> Bill Atkins wrote:
>> "Rob Thorpe" <·······@realworldtech.com> writes:
>>
>> > To the OP ...
>> > Normal Emacs for Windows can be found at:-
>> > http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/emacs/windows/emacs-21.3-fullbin-i386.tar.gz
>>
>> If you're going to use Emacs on Windows, you should use EmacsW32:
>>
>>   http://www.ourcomments.org/Emacs/EmacsW32.html
>
> Maybe if your a new Emacs user, it's certainly easy to install.
> I've used Emacs for a long time, I don't want some strange variant of
> Emacs different from the *nix version I also use and I certainly don't
> want to use a nightly build.

Eh?  It's the same codebase as standard GNU Emacs... In fact, the
website makes it clear that EmacsW32 is just a set of patches to the C
code in standard Emacs.

There are additions to better integrate it with Windows and to make
the UI a little more streamlined, but it's not "some strange variant."
I'm not asking you to use it, but don't make claims about it that
aren't true.

And where do nightly builds fit into this?
From: Rob Thorpe
Bill Atkins wrote:
> "Rob Thorpe" <·······@realworldtech.com> writes:
>
> > Bill Atkins wrote:

> >> If you're going to use Emacs on Windows, you should use EmacsW32:
> >>
> >>   http://www.ourcomments.org/Emacs/EmacsW32.html
> >
> > Maybe if your a new Emacs user, it's certainly easy to install.
> > I've used Emacs for a long time, I don't want some strange variant of
> > Emacs different from the *nix version I also use and I certainly don't
> > want to use a nightly build.
>
> Eh?  It's the same codebase as standard GNU Emacs... In fact, the
> website makes it clear that EmacsW32 is just a set of patches to the C
> code in standard Emacs.

OK.  That wasn't the view I got from the website, maybe I was wrong.

> There are additions to better integrate it with Windows and to make
> the UI a little more streamlined, but it's not "some strange variant."
> I'm not asking you to use it, but don't make claims about it that
> aren't true.

Yes.  I was just point out when you said "If you're going to use Emacs
on Windows, you should use EmacsW32".  I don't agree with that, maybe
if your new to it yes.  But experienced users will want the same
keybindings (for example) that they find on Emacs elsewhere.

> And where do nightly builds fit into this?

If you click on "Download latest EmacsW32+ Emacs binaries" the website
indicates that it's based on CVS Emacs from 20061107, not a release.

Elsewhere on the site there is a version based on Emacs 21.3 though.
From: Bill Atkins
"Rob Thorpe" <·······@realworldtech.com> writes:

> Bill Atkins wrote:

>> > Maybe if your a new Emacs user, it's certainly easy to install.
>> > I've used Emacs for a long time, I don't want some strange variant of
>> > Emacs different from the *nix version I also use and I certainly don't
>> > want to use a nightly build.
>>
>> Eh?  It's the same codebase as standard GNU Emacs... In fact, the
>> website makes it clear that EmacsW32 is just a set of patches to the C
>> code in standard Emacs.
>
> OK.  That wasn't the view I got from the website, maybe I was wrong.
>
>> There are additions to better integrate it with Windows and to make
>> the UI a little more streamlined, but it's not "some strange variant."
>> I'm not asking you to use it, but don't make claims about it that
>> aren't true.
>
> Yes.  I was just point out when you said "If you're going to use Emacs
> on Windows, you should use EmacsW32".  I don't agree with that, maybe
> if your new to it yes.  But experienced users will want the same
> keybindings (for example) that they find on Emacs elsewhere.

...but you *do* get all the same keybindings.  I am by no means an
"inexperienced user," and yet I do not ever remember using a
keybinding that didn't do what I expected.  But I did get better
integration into Windows Explorer and a slightly better-looking
interface. Try it or something.  I don't know why you're having such a
problem with this.

Can we just...drop this?  I simply made a recommendation to the OP
based on my own experiences using Emacs on Windows, and now you're
ascribing to it problems that it doesn't have.  I don't see the point.
From: Rob Thorpe
Bill Atkins wrote:
> "Rob Thorpe" <·······@realworldtech.com> writes:
>
> > Bill Atkins wrote:

> >> Eh?  It's the same codebase as standard GNU Emacs... In fact, the
> >> website makes it clear that EmacsW32 is just a set of patches to the C
> >> code in standard Emacs.
> >
> > OK.  That wasn't the view I got from the website, maybe I was wrong.
> >
> >> There are additions to better integrate it with Windows and to make
> >> the UI a little more streamlined, but it's not "some strange variant."
> >> I'm not asking you to use it, but don't make claims about it that
> >> aren't true.
> >
> > Yes.  I was just point out when you said "If you're going to use Emacs
> > on Windows, you should use EmacsW32".  I don't agree with that, maybe
> > if your new to it yes.  But experienced users will want the same
> > keybindings (for example) that they find on Emacs elsewhere.
>
> ...but you *do* get all the same keybindings.  I am by no means an
> "inexperienced user," and yet I do not ever remember using a
> keybinding that didn't do what I expected.  But I did get better
> integration into Windows Explorer and a slightly better-looking
> interface. Try it or something.  I don't know why you're having such a
> problem with this.
>
> Can we just...drop this?

Consider it dropped.
I'll try it sometime, when it packages a real Emacs release.
From: Bill Atkins
"Rob Thorpe" <·······@realworldtech.com> writes:

>> Can we just...drop this?
>
> Consider it dropped.
> I'll try it sometime, when it packages a real Emacs release.

What, drawn, and talk of peace?

If it's dropped, you're not allowed to sneak in parting shots.  But in
any case, you should know that it's pretty common to run Emacs out of
CVS, since Stallman has been dragging his feet for so long about
releasing v22.

Now it's dropped!
From: Timofei Shatrov
On 10 Nov 2006 04:53:46 -0800, "Rob Thorpe" <·······@realworldtech.com> tried to
confuse everyone with this message:

>Peder O. Klingenberg wrote:
>> "Rob Thorpe" <·······@realworldtech.com> writes:
>>
>> > Emacs store it's configuration information in a file called ".emacs".
>> > Normally this file is stored in the users home directory.  In *nix this
>> > directory will normally be "/home/jrt" for example. In Windows Emacs
>> > will look in "C:\Document and Settings\Robert Thorpe\" and "C:\" since
>> > Windows didn't always have home directories.
>>
>> I believe the OP said he was using Lispbox.  According to
>> <http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/lispbox/> the lispbox-bundled emacs
>> won't read your .emacs.
>
>Ugh.
>
>> I've never used lispbox and don't know how to change that setting,
>> sorry.
>
>Neither do I, I've only used the "lispbox without emacs" build, when it
>existed.
>
>To the OP ...
>Normal Emacs for Windows can be found at:-
>http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/emacs/windows/emacs-21.3-fullbin-i386.tar.gz
>
>Does anyone else know how to fix this problem with Lispbox?

Maybe add it at the end of one of *.el files that Lispbox automatically loads?
There is "lispbox.el" and "lispbox-register.el" in Lisp subdirectory. I'm using
Emacsless Lispbox, but I reckon there is a .bat file which calls Emacs. The
obvious solution is to remove the switch that turns init file off
(--no-init-file or -q).

--
|Don't believe this - you're not worthless              ,gr---------.ru
|It's us against millions and we can't take them all... |  ue     il   |
|But we can take them on!                               |     @ma      |
|                       (A Wilhelm Scream - The Rip)    |______________|
From: Pascal Bourguignon
"Rob Thorpe" <·······@realworldtech.com> writes:

> Gene Ash wrote:
>> Hi Rob,
>>
>> Thanks for the valuable information, but this does not work for me.
>> Even though I did the change to the variable value (using
>> customize-variable) and "saved for future sessions", still the state is
>> reset to default (old state) when I open a new session. Please help.
>
> Strange.
>
> Emacs store it's configuration information in a file called ".emacs".
> Normally this file is stored in the users home directory.  In *nix this
> directory will normally be "/home/jrt" for example. In Windows Emacs
> will look in "C:\Document and Settings\Robert Thorpe\" and "C:\" since
> Windows didn't always have home directories.
>
> When you "save for future sessions" Emacs creates a .emac file and puts
                                                      .emacs

> it in your home directory.  The reason what you have done doesn't work
> may be that Emacs doesn't permission to write to this directory.
>
> Another possibility is that you are using a free *nix distribution that
> does eccentric things to Emacs configuration.

And you can always access the right file from within emacs with
C-x C-f ~/.emacs RET

"A TRUE Klingon warrior does not comment his code!"
From: Gene Ash
Thanks to everyone for your help. The problem got resolved.

Originally the Lispbox was not reading the .emacs file (as it had the
option --no-init-file). Then when I removed this option the emacs
opened but the slime did not open!!

The contents of Lispbox.bat is as follows:

@echo off
set SHELL=C:/Program Files/LispBox-0.7/emacs-21.3/bin/cmdproxy.exe
"C:\Program Files\LispBox-0.7\emacs-21.3\bin\runemacs.exe"
--no-init-file --no-site-file -l "C:\Program
Files\LispBox-0.7\lispbox.el"

When I put (global-font-lock-mode t) and (show-paren-mode t) in the
file lispbox.el loaded by the Lispbox.bat and invoked it with
no-init-file option, the problem got solved. Still I am not sure why
the slime does not open when I remove the option no-init-file!

Thanks to everyone once again.

Cheers,
Gene

From: Rob Thorpe
Gene Ash wrote:
> Thanks to everyone for your help. The problem got resolved.
>
> Originally the Lispbox was not reading the .emacs file (as it had the
> option --no-init-file). Then when I removed this option the emacs
> opened but the slime did not open!!
>
> The contents of Lispbox.bat is as follows:
>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> @echo off
> set SHELL=C:/Program Files/LispBox-0.7/emacs-21.3/bin/cmdproxy.exe
> "C:\Program Files\LispBox-0.7\emacs-21.3\bin\runemacs.exe"
> --no-init-file --no-site-file -l "C:\Program
> Files\LispBox-0.7\lispbox.el"
>
> When I put (global-font-lock-mode t) and (show-paren-mode t) in the
> file lispbox.el loaded by the Lispbox.bat and invoked it with
> no-init-file option, the problem got solved. Still I am not sure why
> the slime does not open when I remove the option no-init-file!

It is bizarre, and a bit irritating.  Still I suppose putting your
configs in lispbox.el works.

If you want to use customize then copying the block of code customize
adds into .emacs into lispbox.el should work.