From: netytan
Subject: The macros have escaped! (Boo).
Hey all,

I read an article about the Boo programming language in a Linux mag' so
I decided to check it out. One of the first things I noticed is of
course that Boo has macros. Although they're not as nice as Lisp or
Scheme macros and isn't a built in syntax for macros yet (it's being
planned) the class interface isn't TOO clumsy.

Personally I prefer s-expressions to indentation or other syntax styles
so I don't think it's going to change anything for me but what do you
think: could Boo compete with Lisp here or have you seen this all
before? Should we be worried?

http://boo.codehaus.org/

Thanks guys,

Mark.

From: JanTheKing
Subject: Re: The macros have escaped! (Boo).
It is the first time I am getting to hear about a language called Boo.
Are you using this language?

Cheers,
Jan

From: netytan
Hi Jan,

I'm not using it for anything real right now, more playing around with
it. It has a lot of nice features (type inference, anonymous functions,
"macros" etc.). I just wish it had S-expressions for some reason
;).

There's a time and place for OO, writing macros isn't one of them in my
very personal opinion - this is where meta-programming in Ruby falls
apart. We'll see. It's a definite improvement over Python or C#.

Take care,

Mark.

From: Pascal Costanza
netytan wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I read an article about the Boo programming language in a Linux mag' so
> I decided to check it out. One of the first things I noticed is of
> course that Boo has macros. Although they're not as nice as Lisp or
> Scheme macros and isn't a built in syntax for macros yet (it's being
> planned) the class interface isn't TOO clumsy.
>
> Personally I prefer s-expressions to indentation or other syntax styles
> so I don't think it's going to change anything for me but what do you
> think: could Boo compete with Lisp here or have you seen this all
> before? Should we be worried?

No. As you said, there are still in building the first version, and they
will encounter problems when fixing the details. I don't know any
language without problematic details.

It usually takes around 10 years for a language to catch on.

Pascal

--
My website: http://p-cos.net