From: JanTheKing
Subject: Command line documentation for Allegro Lisp - like MAN in Unix
Hi,

Is there a command line documentation available for Allegro lisp (8.0)
- like the MAN pages in Unix. I tried using the "documentation"
function which always returns NIL (see below):

CL-USER> (documentation 'setf 'function)
NIL

Thanks.
Jan

From: JanTheKing
Hi,

Can someone help me with this?

Cheers,
Jan

From: OMouse
> Is there a command line documentation available for Allegro lisp (8.0)
> - like the MAN pages in Unix. I tried using the "documentation"
> function which always returns NIL (see below):

I've been thinking about this for some time, and it would be really
really useful. I almost always use man to check C functions and it only
seems natural to want to do the same for Lisp (common or otherwise). It
might be possible to convert html to man, there is a tool called
man2html that does the opposite of that. You could use a text-based
browser and look through the hyperspec that way.
From: Zach Beane
"JanTheKing" <········@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Is there a command line documentation available for Allegro lisp (8.0)
> - like the MAN pages in Unix.

I don't think so.

In a pinch you could use a text-mode browser to read the HTML
documentation.

Zach
From: JanTheKing
Hi Zach,

I guess you are talking about Hyperspec here, which I am already
referring to. I am looking for some quick command line reference tool
(if it exists).

Thanks,
Jan

From: Zach Beane
"JanTheKing" <········@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Zach,
>
> I guess you are talking about Hyperspec here, which I am already
> referring to. I am looking for some quick command line reference tool
> (if it exists).

No, I'm not talking about the hyperspec here.

The documentation you seek is not available as man pages. It is
available as HTML files.

Zach
From: billc
> I guess you are talking about Hyperspec here, which I am already
> referring to. I am looking for some quick command line reference tool
> (if it exists).

I'm not sure what specifically you're after (as you seem to ask for
language-level documentation in one place and command line
switches/options in another); however, one of the following might help:

1. Larry Hunter wrote acldoc.el to provide access to the ACL
documentation from within Emacs. While many people use hyperspec.el to
access the CLHS, Larry's code provides access to Franz-specific CL
functions as well. It is available here:
http://compbio.uchsc.edu/Hunter/acldoc.el

2. The Franz documentation provides a summary of command line
switches/options:
http://www.franz.com/support/documentation/7.0/doc/startup.htm#command-line-args-1

Hope that helps.

--
Bill Clementson
From: Paolo Amoroso
"JanTheKing" <········@gmail.com> writes:

> Is there a command line documentation available for Allegro lisp (8.0)
> - like the MAN pages in Unix. I tried using the "documentation"

Try running it with an obviously bogus argument, such as:

  lisp --bogus

It may display some instructions on the arguments it accepts.  Also
try:

  lisp --h
  lisp -h

Paolo
--
Why Lisp? http://wiki.alu.org/RtL%20Highlight%20Film
The Common Lisp Directory: http://www.cl-user.net
From: JanTheKing
Hi Paolo,

I am running allegro lisp on windows and am not sure about the usage of
"lisp" command. Does this command pertain to windows or unix system?

Cheers,
Jan

From: Ken Tilton
JanTheKing wrote:
> Hi Paolo,
>
> I am running allegro lisp on windows

position the edit cursor on SETF (possibly by typing s-e-t-f /but not
return/ in the listener) and then hit F1. Look for the Hyperspec to be
opened in a new window to the page for SETF.

kt

From: JanTheKing
Hi Ken,

I tried pressing the F1 key after typing SETF on lisp listener (without
pressing the return key). The hyperspec is not opening for me. The
following is displayed. Please help.

C-i  info-lookup-symbol.  Display the definition of a specific symbol
        as found in the manual for the language this buffer is written
in.
k  describe-key.  Type a command key sequence;
	it displays the full documentation.
C-k Info-goto-emacs-key-command-node.  Type a command key sequence;
	it takes you to the Info node for the command bound to that key.
l  view-lossage.  Show last 100 characters you typed.
L  describe-language-environment.  This describes either a
	specific language environment (if you type its name)
	or the current language environment (if you type just RET).
m  describe-mode.  Print documentation of current minor modes,
	and the current major mode, including their special commands.
n  view-emacs-news.  Display news of recent Emacs changes.
p  finder-by-keyword. Find packages matching a given topic keyword.
s  describe-syntax.  Display contents of syntax table, plus
explanations.
t  help-with-tutorial.  Select the Emacs learn-by-doing tutorial.
v  describe-variable.  Type name of a variable;
	it displays the variable's documentation and value.
w  where-is.  Type command name; it prints which keystrokes
	invoke that command.

F  Display the frequently asked questions file.
h  Display the HELLO file which illustrates various scripts.
C-c Display Emacs copying permission (General Public License).
C-d Display Emacs ordering information.
C-n Display news of recent Emacs changes.
C-p Display information about the GNU project.
C-w Display information on absence of warranty for GNU Emacs.

From: Ken Tilton
JanTheKing wrote:
> Hi Ken,
>
> I tried pressing the F1 key after typing SETF on lisp listener (without
> pressing the return key). The hyperspec is not opening for me. The
> following is displayed. Please help.

Sorry, when you said Allegro on Windows I assumed you were also using
the IDE instead of using Emacs to get to it. My bad.

kt

From: Gene Ash
The key strokes "C-c C-d h" open the CLHS for the selected
function/macro.

Thanks.
Jan

From: Rob Thorpe
JanTheKing wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there a command line documentation available for Allegro lisp (8.0)
> - like the MAN pages in Unix. I tried using the "documentation"
> function which always returns NIL (see below):
>
> CL-USER> (documentation 'setf 'function)
> NIL

Man is horrible, it doesn't even have hyper-links, wishing for Man is
like wishing for BCPL.

That said being able to bring up information like that at the prompt is
very useful.
(describe 'setf) will provide some documentation on most lisp
implementations.  I don't know about Allegro because I don't use it,
but it works on sbcl, ecl & gcl.

Unfortunately the functionality most lisps provide on this score is
less than Man.
From: Pascal Bourguignon
"Rob Thorpe" <·······@realworldtech.com> writes:

> JanTheKing wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is there a command line documentation available for Allegro lisp (8.0)
>> - like the MAN pages in Unix. I tried using the "documentation"
>> function which always returns NIL (see below):
>>
>> CL-USER> (documentation 'setf 'function)
>> NIL
>
> Man is horrible, it doesn't even have hyper-links, wishing for Man is
> like wishing for BCPL.

That's plain wrong.  Unix man is a wonderful resource.
And man pages _have_ hyper-links.
Perhaps your standard unix man(1) doesn't allow you to navigate them,
but emacs M-x man does!
(Just try M-x man RET read(2) RET TAB TAB RET for example).

> That said being able to bring up information like that at the prompt is
> very useful.
> (describe 'setf) will provide some documentation on most lisp
> implementations.  I don't know about Allegro because I don't use it,
> but it works on sbcl, ecl & gcl.
>
> Unfortunately the functionality most lisps provide on this score is
> less than Man.

neither do we. -- Georges W. Bush
From: Rafal Strzalinski
Rob Thorpe napisał(a):

> Man is horrible, it doesn't even have hyper-links, wishing for Man is
> like wishing for BCPL.

If You're using a GNU system, you can browse thru man pages using 'info'
command. It
provides kind of hyperlinks functionality.

--
Rafal Strzalinski (nabla)
http://rafal.strzalinski.pl
From: John Thingstad
On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 22:49:45 +0100, Rafal Strzalinski
<···············@nospam.gmail.com> wrote:

> Rob Thorpe napisał(a):
>
>> Man is horrible, it doesn't even have hyper-links, wishing for Man is
>> like wishing for BCPL.
>
> If You're using a GNU system, you can browse thru man pages using 'info'
> command. It
> provides kind of hyperlinks functionality.

Info pages are not man pages.
Man is written using TROFF. They are the old Unix format.
Info pages use info pages (a format more akin to LaTeX)
It's the same format as the help in emacs.
Info is replacing man.

From: Rafal Strzalinski
John Thingstad napisał(a):
> On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 22:49:45 +0100, Rafal Strzalinski
> <···············@nospam.gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Rob Thorpe napisał(a):
>>
>>> Man is horrible, it doesn't even have hyper-links, wishing for Man is
>>> like wishing for BCPL.
>>
>> If You're using a GNU system, you can browse thru man pages using 'info'
>> command. It
>> provides kind of hyperlinks functionality.
>>

> Info pages are not man pages.
> Man is written using TROFF. They are the old Unix format.
> Info pages use info pages (a format more akin to LaTeX)

Yes, You're right. But 'info' also reads man pages. Try it yourself, if
don't believe me.

--
Best regards,
Rafal Strzalinski (nabla)
From: Rob Thorpe
Rafal Strzalinski wrote:
> Rob Thorpe napisał(a):
>
> > Man is horrible, it doesn't even have hyper-links, wishing for Man is
> > like wishing for BCPL.
>
> If You're using a GNU system, you can browse thru man pages using 'info'
> command. It
> provides kind of hyperlinks functionality.

Yes, and that's very useful.  When I read man pages I actually use M-x
woman or M-x man mode in Emacs.

Generally though, if something has info pages and man pages the info
will be more accurate.  Firstly because people who make info pages are
normally GNU people who consider it to be their principle documentation
format.  Secondly, and probably more importantly, it is Texinfo that is
used to generate the HTML documentation which is probably the most
widely read.  (There are exceptions, for glibc read both info and man
and guess which is right).

Though, when I said "wishing for Man is like wishing for BCPL "I was
criticising the program itself not the documentation it provides.
From: Bill Atkins
"Rob Thorpe" <·······@realworldtech.com> writes:

> Yes, and that's very useful.  When I read man pages I actually use M-x
> woman or M-x man mode in Emacs.

Drifting off-topic, but do any other OS X users have problems where
WoMan completely skews the formatting of the man page and even seems
to snip out chunks of text?
From: Frank Goenninger DG1SBG
Bill Atkins <······@rpi.edu> writes:

> "Rob Thorpe" <·······@realworldtech.com> writes:
>
>> Yes, and that's very useful.  When I read man pages I actually use M-x
>> woman or M-x man mode in Emacs.
>
> Drifting off-topic, but do any other OS X users have problems where
> WoMan completely skews the formatting of the man page and even seems
> to snip out chunks of text?

Yes.

Frank
From: Rob Thorpe
Bill Atkins wrote:
> "Rob Thorpe" <·······@realworldtech.com> writes:
>
> > Yes, and that's very useful.  When I read man pages I actually use M-x
> > woman or M-x man mode in Emacs.
>
> Drifting off-topic, but do any other OS X users have problems where
> WoMan completely skews the formatting of the man page and even seems
> to snip out chunks of text?

Try reporting it to ·············@gnu.org.  It's probably caused by
some incorrect parsing of nroff by WoMan.  Now is the time since Emacs
development is in bug fixing mode running up to a release.