From: rincewind
Subject: Desktop applications development
Are there any Lisp implementations out there mature enough to be used for
commercial desktop applications development for Windows?

Required features:
1. Ability to produce native executables for Windows.
2. Toolkit to develop commercial-quality GUI.
3. Optimizing compiler that produces code that's not much slower than that
of a good C++ compiler.
4. Convenience in calling Win32 API and external libraries (plain DLLs a
must, COM components a nice bonus).
5. Reasonable price ($1000 is absolute limit, ideally something around
$200-$300).
6. Availability of a trial/evaluation version.

Desirable features (not strictly required, but would be nice to have):
1. XML parser, XSLT processor.
2. Potential possibility to develop for Mac Os X would be interesting (but
I'm not ready to pay much money for this).

So called "enterprise" features (database connectivity, web servers, CORBA)
are not needed at all.
IDE (I think) is also not very important, I am planning to rely on
Emacs/SLIME.

I am planning to use it for shareware development. I am a complete Lisp
newbie (just read ANSI CL by P.G. and played a couple of months with SBCL
under FreeBSD), although I'm an experienced C++ programmer. If all Lisp
variants fail, I am also considering using good old VC++/MFC. But the idea
is that using Lisp will keep me interested (so far I find this language
rather interesting, but I'm a bit worried about some practical matters). On
the other hand, having invested into Lisp would also keep me motivated
enough to finish the project, and would prevent me from abandoning idea of
learning Lisp (does this sound completely crazy?  ;).

I've just downloaded Corman Lisp 2.51 and going to play with if for a while.
I've also heard about Allegro CL and LispWorks, but I understand these a
much more pricey (perhaps prohibitively so). What are their advantages
compared to Corman Lisp?

Any advice and personal experience would be much appreciated.

From: Stormcoder
Subject: Re: Desktop applications development
From: Vagif Verdi
Lispworks Professional costs less than $1000, produces exe's has GUI
library CAPI that  uses native windows widgets for GUI.

You can also try LSharp which is free and runs on dotnet, so you can
create GUI's using VS
From: Nicolay Giraldo
You could use wxCL as the GUI as it has a professional-look. It uses
the native GUI in all platforms, that is Win32, Mac and Linux.

In fact, if all lisp variants fail for you, use wxWidgets instead of
MFC, it's much easier for many tasks.

However I would like to hear a success history from you using Corman
Lisp and wxCL.
From: A. Rogowski
"Nicolay Giraldo" <·········@gmail.com> writes:

> You could use wxCL as the GUI as it has a professional-look. It uses
> the native GUI in all platforms, that is Win32, Mac and Linux.
>
> In fact, if all lisp variants fail for you, use wxWidgets instead of
> MFC, it's much easier for many tasks.
>
> However I would like to hear a success history from you using Corman
> Lisp and wxCL.

Wow! Last time I was looking at wxCL it seemed like it will work only
with clisp. Now I see that it uses CFFI. Great.

ajr.
From: fireblade
>However I would like to hear a success history from you using Corman
>Lisp and wxCL.

Is Corman Lisp still in development ?
Their web site looks  very outdated.

bobi
From: Pascal Bourguignon
"fireblade" <········@YAHOO.COM> writes:
>>However I would like to hear a success history from you using Corman
>>Lisp and wxCL.
>
> Is Corman Lisp still in development ?
> Their web site looks  very outdated.

I'm happy to live in a building that looks somewhat outdated, it was
in development the year before I was born.  I wouldn't like to live in
a building that's still in development, really.  But if you want to,
please install yourself (bring your water and electricity!
http://www.piedmonttowncenter.com/Images/Construction/Building%20A%20-%20March%202005.jpg Have fun!)

ATTENTION: Despite any other listing of product contents found
herein, the consumer is advised that, in actuality, this product
consists of 99.9999999999% empty space.
From: Mike Thomas
Rincewind as in James P. from Auran, 1996?

Cheers

Mike Thomas.