From: Stormcoder
Subject: Ghost Symbols
A removed some constants that I was using in my code but now whenever I
trace the functions that used to use the constants they show up in the
trace output. I've tried everything that I could think of to stop this
from happening. I've gone through every line of code that I wrote. I
made sure there wasn't any stray fas files laying around etc. The
constants keep showing up though. This is in Clisp 2.38 on debian. Does
anyone know why?

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Ghost Symbols
"Stormcoder" <·········@gmail.com> writes:

> A removed some constants that I was using in my code but now whenever I
> trace the functions that used to use the constants they show up in the
> trace output. I've tried everything that I could think of to stop this
> from happening. I've gone through every line of code that I wrote. I
> made sure there wasn't any stray fas files laying around etc. The
> constants keep showing up though. This is in Clisp 2.38 on debian. Does
> anyone know why?

Did you recompile and reload all your sources?
You could as well start a new image...

Nobody can fix the economy.  Nobody can be trusted with their finger
on the button.  Nobody's perfect.  VOTE FOR NOBODY.
From: Stormcoder
From: Peter Seibel
"Stormcoder" <·········@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm currently running my code interpreted for debugging purposes. I'm
> using the default image that came with clisp. I'm running as a normal
> user so the default image should not have gotten overwritten accidently.

"Image" as used by Pascal (I think that's who you're responding
to--it'd help if you'd quote a bit of the message you're replying to)
means "running instance of your Lisp". He means restart Lisp in order
to make sure you don't have any weird state hanging around that's
confusing you.

-Peter

--
Peter Seibel           * ·····@gigamonkeys.com
From: Stormcoder
> "Image" as used by Pascal (I think that's who you're responding
> to--it'd help if you'd quote a bit of the message you're replying to)
> means "running instance of your Lisp". He means restart Lisp in order
> to make sure you don't have any weird state hanging around that's
> confusing you.

I'm using google's interface and there is no quoting option so I have
to manually insert and format quoted text.

I did restart clisp (multiple times) and I have also rebooted. I still
get these phantom symbols during tracing. They don't seem to cause
errors but it is disconcerting to see that in the trace. It leads me to
doubt which code is actually being run in the VM.
From: Barry Margolin
In article <·······················@j33g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
 "Stormcoder" <·········@gmail.com> wrote:

> > "Image" as used by Pascal (I think that's who you're responding
> > to--it'd help if you'd quote a bit of the message you're replying to)
> > means "running instance of your Lisp". He means restart Lisp in order
> > to make sure you don't have any weird state hanging around that's
> > confusing you.
>
> I'm using google's interface and there is no quoting option so I have
> to manually insert and format quoted text.

See <http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/> for the explanation of how to do
it in Google Groups.

--
Barry Margolin, ······@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA
From: Stormcoder
Barry Margolin wrote:

> See <http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/> for the explanation of how to do
> it in Google Groups.

Ah, much better. Thanks.
From: Barry Margolin
 "Stormcoder" <·········@gmail.com> wrote:

> I did restart clisp (multiple times) and I have also rebooted. I still
> get these phantom symbols during tracing. They don't seem to cause
> errors but it is disconcerting to see that in the trace. It leads me to
> doubt which code is actually being run in the VM.

You restarted clisp, loaded the source files from scratch, and then
tracing shows some symbols that you removed from the code?  This is hard
to believe.  Can you post some code and sample output from trace?

--
Barry Margolin, ······@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA
From: Stormcoder
Barry Margolin wrote:
> In article <·······················@j33g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
>  "Stormcoder" <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> You restarted clisp, loaded the source files from scratch, and then
> tracing shows some symbols that you removed from the code?  This is hard
> to believe.  Can you post some code and sample output from trace?

It's wacked but true. Unfortunately I can't give a sample. I do
government contract work and any kind of sharing is against Corp
policy. These symbols also show up in the debugger. I don't think this
is causing errors but it is very odd.
From: Barry Margolin
In article <······················@j73g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
 "Stormcoder" <·········@gmail.com> wrote:

> Barry Margolin wrote:
> > In article <·······················@j33g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> >  "Stormcoder" <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > You restarted clisp, loaded the source files from scratch, and then
> > tracing shows some symbols that you removed from the code?  This is hard
> > to believe.  Can you post some code and sample output from trace?
> >
> It's wacked but true. Unfortunately I can't give a sample. I do
> government contract work and any kind of sharing is against Corp
> policy. These symbols also show up in the debugger. I don't think this
> is causing errors but it is very odd.

Can you reproduce the problem with sample generic code unrelated to any
real work?

If not, I think you need to describe what you're seeing in more detail.
I haven't really understood it from what you've said so far.

--
Barry Margolin, ······@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA
From: Ivan Boldyrev
On 9486 day of my life ·········@gmail.com wrote:
>> You restarted clisp, loaded the source files from scratch, and then
>> tracing shows some symbols that you removed from the code?  This is hard
>> to believe.  Can you post some code and sample output from trace?
>>
> It's wacked but true. Unfortunately I can't give a sample. I do
> government contract work and any kind of sharing is against Corp
> policy. These symbols also show up in the debugger. I don't think this
> is causing errors but it is very odd.

Perhaps, you are loading _compiled_ files that wasn't recompiled after
change?

--
Ivan Boldyrev

                                                  Is 'evening' a gerund?
From: Stormcoder
From: Stormcoder
Ivan Boldyrev wrote:
> On 9486 day of my life ·········@gmail.com wrote:
>
> Perhaps, you are loading _compiled_ files that wasn't recompiled after
> change?
>
> --
> Ivan Boldyrev
>
>                                                   Is 'evening' a gerund?

The first thing I tried was removing all of the fas and lib files from
the project.
From: Ole Arndt
"Stormcoder" <·········@gmail.com> writes:

> A removed some constants that I was using in my code but now whenever I
> trace the functions that used to use the constants they show up in the
> trace output. I've tried everything that I could think of to stop this
> from happening. I've gone through every line of code that I wrote. I
> made sure there wasn't any stray fas files laying around etc. The
> constants keep showing up though. This is in Clisp 2.38 on debian. Does
> anyone know why?

You seem to be using Ubuntu Linux, which is Debian based. I do not
know Ubuntu, but it will probably make use of common-lisp-controler
like Debian. So, have you thought of removing the *.fas files under
/var/cache/common-lisp-controller ?

Ole
--
Ole Arndt                     http://www.sugarshark.com
From: Stormcoder
From: Barry Margolin
In article <·······················@j55g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
 "Stormcoder" <·········@gmail.com> wrote:

> I didn't do that. I'll give that a try.

Do what?

Please read <http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/> regarding proper Usenet
etiquette regarding replies.

--
Barry Margolin, ······@alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA
From: Wolfram Fenske
Barry Margolin <······@alum.mit.edu> writes:

> In article <·······················@j55g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
>  "Stormcoder" <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I didn't do that. I'll give that a try.
>
> Do what?
>
> Please read <http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/> regarding proper Usenet
> etiquette regarding replies.

I second that.  Also, for some reason, your posts show up twice--one
version that includes a quote and another one that doesn't.  Please
fix that.

Regards
Wolfram
From: Stormcoder
Wolfram Fenske wrote:
> Barry Margolin <······@alum.mit.edu> writes:
>
> > In article <·······················@j55g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
> >  "Stormcoder" <·········@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I didn't do that. I'll give that a try.
> >
> > Do what?
> >
> > Please read <http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/> regarding proper Usenet
> > etiquette regarding replies.
>
> I second that.  Also, for some reason, your posts show up twice--one
> version that includes a quote and another one that doesn't.  Please
> fix that.
>

> Regards
> Wolfram

Hmm. Maybe there was a reason that I went through the trouble of
posting them a second time. Maybe I realised I made a mistake and tried
to correct the mistake in the best way available to me.
From: Stormcoder