From: ··········@bbs.ee.ncu.edu.tw
Subject: Re: It seems that I found prolog in prolog
Joachim Schimpf wrote:
> So, you found that metaprogramming using strings is painful.
> Well observed. Conclusion?

I am happy that you know my intention is for metaprogramming.
This is the key point , around which I am recently asking
questions so frequently.

Is there anything simpler than using string ?
If string can be easily used for metaprogramming ,
we can metaprogram just in the same prolog language,
because the system can read and execute the
prolog codes written by system itself in a string from,
thus there is no need for learning new syntax ,etc.

Just look at  between C++ and LISP ,you will know the
difference. For C++ to metaprogram , people use template.
For the lisp , people use macro. Template is a totally
different language from the oriniginal C++, but macro is
almost identical to the original Lisp . Lisp can treat data as
program and program as data , but C++ can't . This makes
total difference between LISP's metaprogramming and C++'s.

So , if using string is painful for metaprogramming ,
what is not ? And the pain from using string is unnecessary,
if we can control and manipulate the input buffer.

I have tried other way for metaprogramming . And there happened
some problems . I will tell the story later.
From: Bart Demoen
··········@bbs.ee.ncu.edu.tw wrote:

> Lisp can treat data as
> program and program as data

So can Prolog.

> So , if using string is painful for metaprogramming ,
> what is not ?

Prolog terms.

Cheers

Bart Demoen