From: BobF
Subject: new to lisp
Hello, new lisper here.

I'm just getting around to diving into lisp after many years of intending
to do so.

I've been programming, mostly C/C++, since '78.  What path do you recommend
for getting started in the WinXP environment?

TIA

BobF

From: Lars Rune Nøstdal
Subject: Re: new to lisp
Hello,

> What path do you recommend for getting started in the WinXP environment?

Switching to a Linux-environment? O_o ..With Ubuntu I'm usually up and
running in minutes on most machines. :)

Ok, well CLISP runs on Windows. SBCL (which I like very much) is in the
progress of being ported.

Also try a google search for "lisp in a box". You (really) need Emacs
and Slime, and "lisp in a box" might be a good way to get up and
running fast there.

Also, check out: http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/

--
mvh,
Lars Rune Nøstdal
From: BobF
On 24 May 2006 08:19:12 -0700, Lars Rune N�stdal wrote:

> Hello,
>
>> What path do you recommend for getting started in the WinXP environment?
>
> Switching to a Linux-environment? O_o ..With Ubuntu I'm usually up and
> running in minutes on most machines. :)

No thanks.  I have to remain commercially productive :-)

> Ok, well CLISP runs on Windows. SBCL (which I like very much) is in the
> progress of being ported.
>
> Also try a google search for "lisp in a box". You (really) need Emacs
> and Slime, and "lisp in a box" might be a good way to get up and
> running fast there.
>
> Also, check out: http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/

Thanks for the link and recommendations.  I'll check them out.
From: Julian Stecklina
BobF <·············@charter.net> writes:

> On 24 May 2006 08:19:12 -0700, Lars Rune N�stdal wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>>> What path do you recommend for getting started in the WinXP environment?
>>
>> Switching to a Linux-environment? O_o ..With Ubuntu I'm usually up and
>> running in minutes on most machines. :)
>
> No thanks.  I have to remain commercially productive :-)

Wrong business? ;)

Regards,
--
Julian Stecklina

Being really good at C++ is like being really good at using rocks to
sharpen sticks. - Thant Tessman
From: BobF
On Wed, 24 May 2006 20:07:50 +0200, Julian Stecklina wrote:

> BobF <·············@charter.net> writes:
>
>> On 24 May 2006 08:19:12 -0700, Lars Rune N�stdal wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,

>>> Switching to a Linux-environment? O_o ..With Ubuntu I'm usually up and
>>> running in minutes on most machines. :)
>>
>> No thanks.  I have to remain commercially productive :-)
>
> Wrong business? ;)

It's working for me so far ... :-)

I "grew up" professionally in the world of *real* Unix on *real* machines.
Unfortunately, the corporate desktop is the Land of Windoze ...

Machines and OSes are tools.  Nothing more, nothing less.  Sometimes one OS
is the right tool for the job at hand.  Other times, a different OS is the
right tool for the job.  I have always tried to not get caught up in failed
attempts at driving screws with hammers :-)
From: Thomas F. Burdick
BobF <·············@charter.net> writes:

> Hello, new lisper here.
>
> I'm just getting around to diving into lisp after many years of intending
> to do so.
>
> I've been programming, mostly C/C++, since '78.  What path do you recommend
> for getting started in the WinXP environment?

Get the trial version of either Allegro CL

  http://www.franz.com/downloads/

or Lispworks

  http://www.lispworks.com/downloads/index.html

Their IDEs should be relatively familiar for a Windows developer.  You
can decide whether you want to use a commercial or open source
implementation after you've gotten comfortable with Lisp.
From: Bill Atkins
BobF <·············@charter.net> writes:

> Hello, new lisper here.
>
> I'm just getting around to diving into lisp after many years of intending
> to do so.
>
> I've been programming, mostly C/C++, since '78.  What path do you recommend
> for getting started in the WinXP environment?
>
> TIA
>
> BobF

This will get you set up with a Lisp environment:

 http://www.gigamonkeys.com/lispbox/

--
You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most
famous is, "Never get involved in a land war in Asia", but only
From: BobF
On Wed, 24 May 2006 11:27:11 -0400, Bill Atkins wrote:

> BobF <·············@charter.net> writes:
>
>> Hello, new lisper here.
>>
>> I'm just getting around to diving into lisp after many years of intending
>> to do so.
>>
>> I've been programming, mostly C/C++, since '78.  What path do you recommend
>> for getting started in the WinXP environment?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> BobF
>
> This will get you set up with a Lisp environment:
>
>  http://www.gigamonkeys.com/lispbox/

Thanks Bill.
From: Mikalai
BobF wrote:
> Hello, new lisper here.
>
> I'm just getting around to diving into lisp after many years of intending
> to do so.
>
> I've been programming, mostly C/C++, since '78.  What path do you recommend
> for getting started in the WinXP environment?

Given your C background. Look at TwinLisp ( http://twinlisp.nongnu.org/
). For me, lisp ideas flow naturally in C-ish form.
In case you'll need TL for AllegroCL, email me -- mbirukou at rogers
dot com.
From: BobF
On 24 May 2006 11:47:10 -0700, Mikalai wrote:

> BobF wrote:
>> Hello, new lisper here.
>>
>> I'm just getting around to diving into lisp after many years of intending
>> to do so.
>>
>> I've been programming, mostly C/C++, since '78.  What path do you recommend
>> for getting started in the WinXP environment?
>>

> Given your C background. Look at TwinLisp ( http://twinlisp.nongnu.org/
> ). For me, lisp ideas flow naturally in C-ish form.
> In case you'll need TL for AllegroCL, email me -- mbirukou at rogers
> dot com.

Thanks for the offer.  I'm gonna' try out lispbox with CL first and see how
it goes.  It installed flawlessly, so that's a good sign!
From: funkyj
lispbox is great!  If you prefer a unixy environment then installing
cygwin (which has an optional CLISP package) is the best way to go on
Windows.

Which CL did you chose for your lispbox?
From: BobF
On 25 May 2006 13:44:35 -0700, funkyj wrote:

> lispbox is great!  If you prefer a unixy environment then installing
> cygwin (which has an optional CLISP package) is the best way to go on
> Windows.
>
> Which CL did you chose for your lispbox?

clisp 2.37
From: Tim X
BobF <·············@charter.net> writes:

> Hello, new lisper here.
>
> I'm just getting around to diving into lisp after many years of intending
> to do so.
>
> I've been programming, mostly C/C++, since '78.  What path do you recommend
> for getting started in the WinXP environment?
>
> TIA
>
> BobF

I've heard good reports about lispbox - see http://www.gigamonkey.com
and Practicle Common Lisp, which is a very good book for anyone who is
familiar with programming and wants to get up to speed with some lisp
pretty fast.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au
From: BobF
On Thu, 25 May 2006 19:17:12 +1000, Tim X wrote:

> BobF <·············@charter.net> writes:
>
>> Hello, new lisper here.
>>
>> I'm just getting around to diving into lisp after many years of intending
>> to do so.
>>
>> I've been programming, mostly C/C++, since '78.  What path do you recommend
>> for getting started in the WinXP environment?
>>
>> TIA
>>
>> BobF
>
> I've heard good reports about lispbox - see http://www.gigamonkey.com
> and Practicle Common Lisp, which is a very good book for anyone who is
> familiar with programming and wants to get up to speed with some lisp
> pretty fast.
>
> Tim

Thanks, Tim.  I installed lispbox yesterday.  Looks good so far ...