From: goose
Subject: uffi frustrations
Hello all (again:-)

I've gotten the asdf.lisp file thanks to the posters here,
and as far as I can tell, it works the way it is supposed to.

The next problem is uffi (or rather, the lack of it). I'm trying to
get clsql working, and followed the instructions to the letter
in the clsql docs and my results are below.

What concerns me is that the default target in the uffi
distribution does not do anything; a quick shufti at
the makefile says that it isn't *supposed* to do anything
by default.

Anyway, it seems that uffi isn't working now, and I cannot
tell why.

--------------- results of make in uffi dir ------------------
····@sanity:/usr/local/src/uffi-1.5.13# make
make: Nothing to be done for `all'.
····@sanity:/usr/local/src/uffi-1.5.13#

-----------------My load.lisp file---------------------
(load "asdf.lisp")
(push #P"/usr/local/src/uffi-1.5.13/" asdf:*central-registry*)
(push #P"/home/lmanickum/downloads/clsql-3.6.1/"
asdf:*central-registry*)

(asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op 'clsql)                   ; main CLSQL
package

--------------- error message -----------------
·········@sanity:~$ clisp -i load.lisp
;;  Loaded file asdf.lisp
/home/lmanickum/downloads/clsql-3.6.1/clsql.asd into #<PACKAGE ASDF0>
into #<PACKAGE ASDF1>
;;   Loaded file /usr/local/src/uffi-1.5.13/uffi.asd
*** - component "uffi" not found
The following restarts are available:
SKIP           :R1      skip (EVAL-WHEN # #)
   STOP           :R2      stop loading file
/home/lmanickum/downloads/clsql-3.6.1/clsql.asd
   SKIP           :R3      skip (OPERATE 'LOAD-OP 'CLSQL)
   STOP           :R4      stop loading file /home/lmanickum/load.lisp
   ABORT          :R5      ABORT
   Break 1 CLSQL-SYSTEM[2]> where
   EVAL frame for form (ERROR 'MISSING-COMPONENT :REQUIRES ASDF::NAME)
   Break 1 CLSQL-SYSTEM[2]> :a
   [1]> (quit)

From: ·····@acd.net
Subject: Re: uffi frustrations
If interested, send me an email at vanek AT acd DOT net and I'll send
you a tarball that should solve this problem.

-lv
From: Luke J Crook

goose wrote:
> Hello all (again:-)
>
> I've gotten the asdf.lisp file thanks to the posters here,
> and as far as I can tell, it works the way it is supposed to.
>
> The next problem is uffi (or rather, the lack of it).

If you are going to be calling external libraries from Lisp, use CFFI (
http://common-lisp.net/project/cffi/ ) and perhaps SWIG (
http://www.swig.org/ ) to automatically generate the necessary Lisp
bindings.

- -Luke
From: goose
I don't know (new to lisp, see?) how to replace
the uffi stuff in clsql with cffi (first time
I'm hearing of this).

Is anything which uses uffi interchangeable
with cffi (and vice versa)?

goose
From: Paolo Amoroso
"goose" <····@webmail.co.za> writes:

> Is anything which uses uffi interchangeable
> with cffi (and vice versa)?

CFFI provides an UFFI compatibility module, but another current thread
in this groups suggests that the latter may be unreliable.

Paolo
--
Why Lisp? http://wiki.alu.org/RtL%20Highlight%20Film
The Common Lisp Directory: http://www.cl-user.net
From: Ken Tilton
Paolo Amoroso wrote:
> "goose" <····@webmail.co.za> writes:
>

>>Is anything which uses uffi interchangeable
>>with cffi (and vice versa)?
>

> CFFI provides an UFFI compatibility module, but another current thread
> in this groups suggests that the latter may be unreliable.

That may be, but I have used CFFI-UFFI-COMPAT to avoid porting quite a
few sets of bindings. fwiw.

kzo

"Have you ever been in a relationship?"
    Attorney for Mary Winkler, confessed killer of her
    minister husband, when asked if the couple had
    marital problems.
From: Bill Atkins
"goose" <····@webmail.co.za> writes:

> Hello all (again:-)
>
> I've gotten the asdf.lisp file thanks to the posters here,
> and as far as I can tell, it works the way it is supposed to.
>
> The next problem is uffi (or rather, the lack of it). I'm trying to
> get clsql working, and followed the instructions to the letter
> in the clsql docs and my results are below.
>
> What concerns me is that the default target in the uffi
> distribution does not do anything; a quick shufti at
> the makefile says that it isn't *supposed* to do anything
> by default.
>
> Anyway, it seems that uffi isn't working now, and I cannot
> tell why.
>

> --------------- results of make in uffi dir ------------------
> ····@sanity:/usr/local/src/uffi-1.5.13# make
> make: Nothing to be done for `all'.
> ····@sanity:/usr/local/src/uffi-1.5.13#
>
> -----------------My load.lisp file---------------------
> (load "asdf.lisp")
> (push #P"/usr/local/src/uffi-1.5.13/" asdf:*central-registry*)
> (push #P"/home/lmanickum/downloads/clsql-3.6.1/"
> asdf:*central-registry*)
>

> (asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op 'clsql)                   ; main CLSQL
> package
>
> --------------- error message -----------------
> ·········@sanity:~$ clisp -i load.lisp
> ;;  Loaded file asdf.lisp
> /home/lmanickum/downloads/clsql-3.6.1/clsql.asd into #<PACKAGE ASDF0>
> into #<PACKAGE ASDF1>
> ;;   Loaded file /usr/local/src/uffi-1.5.13/uffi.asd
> *** - component "uffi" not found
> The following restarts are available:
> SKIP           :R1      skip (EVAL-WHEN # #)
>    STOP           :R2      stop loading file
> /home/lmanickum/downloads/clsql-3.6.1/clsql.asd
>    SKIP           :R3      skip (OPERATE 'LOAD-OP 'CLSQL)
>    STOP           :R4      stop loading file /home/lmanickum/load.lisp
>    ABORT          :R5      ABORT
>    Break 1 CLSQL-SYSTEM[2]> where
>    EVAL frame for form (ERROR 'MISSING-COMPONENT :REQUIRES ASDF::NAME)
>    Break 1 CLSQL-SYSTEM[2]> :a
>    [1]> (quit)

If you install asdf-install, then you can pick up all of CLSQL with
just (asdf-install:install :clsql).

--
You fool! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most
famous is, "Never get involved in a land war in Asia", but only
From: Kevin Rosenberg
On 2006-05-24, Bill Atkins <············@rpi.edu> wrote:
>> Anyway, it seems that uffi isn't working now, and I cannot
>> tell why.
>> [...]
>> ·········@sanity:~$ clisp -i load.lisp

That's the problem. CLSQL and UFFI do not support clisp.

Kevin