From: ·········@lxny.org
Subject: NYC LOCAL: Saturday 27 May 2006 Special Meeting: Antonio Perpinan of Codigo Libre on Organizing for Free Software
There will be two free software meetings on Saturday 27 May 2006
at 49 East Houston Street, on the Island of the Manahattoes.

The first meeting starts at 3:00 pm and is a Laptop Install Fest.
We will attempt to put as many free operating systems as we can
on as many laptops as we can.  This informal install fest is only
for laptops; we will not attempt any installations on
non-portable devices.  There will also be Lispers at this
meeting, and if you want help starting out in Lisp, including
Scheme and Elisp, come to this meeting.

The second meeting starts at 6:00 pm.  Antonio Perpinan, head of
Codigo Libre of the Dominican Republic, will speak.

http://www.codigolibre.org

The nearest subway stop is Broadway-Lafayette.  B, D, F, and V
trains stop at Broadway-Lafayette. The downtown 6 train stops at
the station, but the uptown 6 train does not.

This meeting is sponsored by LXNY and CFSG.  The meeting space
has been donated by Anonymous, and we thank Our Anonymous Host!

http://www.cfsg.org

Codigo Libre has done extraordinary things:

1. Codigo Libre has over one thousand members.

2. Codigo Libre has helped migrate all sorts of public and
private institutions to free software, including banks such as
BHD, Popular, and Reservas (the State Bank), the biggest
supermarket chain, el POLA, which runs entirely on Red Hat, and
the largest Dominican mining company, Cemento Cibao, which runs
Fedora.  They are now migrating the La Salle high schools,
starting in the City of Santiago, where they will teach using
Ubuntu.  The State has 9 schools spread throughout the capital
city of Santo Domingo, where they are planning the migration of
over 525 PCs to SuSE GNU/Linux.  Codigo Libre has taught more
than 15,000 teachers at the Board of Education to use GNU/Linux,
as well as college professors at the Public University.

3. Codigo Libre does on-site paid training, free counseling and
support for businesses, including free investigation to solve any
problems related to integrating free software in the workplace.

4. Codigo Libre prints and publishes their own books.  They give
courses ranging from from beginner's courses to advanced courses
in telephony, programming, and databases.  They have developed
their own Certification with manuals, practices, courses, and
certification exams, covering fundamentals, administration,
networking, and security.

5. Codigo Libre are today working in the Dominican Senate to
establish a National Law for Free Software, and to have the
Senate approve a Committee of Free Software to guide public
institutions in migrating to free software.

6. The UNICDA university offers a graduate level course on
GNU/Linux technology administration.  The Dominican Republic is
embarked on a two million dollar project to teach 25,000 kids
GNU/Linux.  Codigo Libre is central to these efforts.

7. Codigo Libre has two bases, a 375 square foot location in
Santo Domingo with 4 classrooms and 40 PCs running Ubuntu,
routers, wireless internet access, a large meeting room for 50
people, where groups meet every day on diverse subjects:
GNU/Linux administration, Asterisk, c/c++/java, PHP, DBMSes,
etc.; and a 1,500 square foot location in Santiago with 4 air
conditioned classrooms and an event hall for 200 people, 24 PCs,
blackboards, etc.

8. Codigo Libre offers various forms of membership.  Members get
discounts, participate in courses, and give and get help in job
searches.

Antonio Perpinan has been at the head of these advances since
1998 when Codigo Libre was founded.  Many groups have tried to do
some of what Codigo Libre has actually done.  This meeting is a
chance to hear about how these things get done, and where free
software stands today in the Dominican Republic and other Latin
American countries.

We will eat and drink after the meeting.  We do not yet know
where.

Jay Sulzberger <·········@lxny.org>
Corresponding Secretary LXNY
http://www.lxny.org
From: Eli Gottlieb
Damn I wish I could make it.
--
The science of economics is the cleverest proof of free will yet
constructed.