From: ················@yahoo.co.uk
Subject: loading mcclim fails using cmucl and asdf
I'm having difficulty running the example programs supplied with mcclim
with cmucl.  I'm running on gentoo linux so dependancies like adsf have
been installed automatically.  However, I am a lisp newbie so please
bear with my foolishness.  Here is what I did.  Firstly, added the
following to  /etc/common-lisp/cmucl/site-init.lisp

(load "/usr/share/common-lisp/source/asdf/asdf.lisp")
(setf asdf:*central-registry*
  '(*default-pathname-defaults*
    #p"/usr/share/common-lisp/systems/"))

then started lisp and tried to load the mcclim package with

* (asdf:operate 'asdf:load-op 'mcclim)

/usr/share/common-lisp/systems/mcclim.asd into
; #<The ASDF1717 package>
#p"/var/cache/common-lisp-controller/ac/cmucl/cmucl-graystream/gray-streams-class.x86f".

Error in C::DO-CALL:  the function FILE-COMMENT is undefined.
   [Condition of type UNDEFINED-FUNCTION]

Restarts:
  0: [CONTINUE] Return NIL from load of
#p"/var/cache/common-lisp-controller/ac/cmucl/cmucl-graystream/gray-streams-class.x86f".
  1: [RETRY   ] Retry performing #<LOAD-OP NIL {58098FB5}> on
                #<CL-SOURCE-FILE "gray-streams-class" {5856CDCD}>.
  2: [ACCEPT  ] Continue, treating #<LOAD-OP NIL {58098FB5}> on
                #<CL-SOURCE-FILE "gray-streams-class" {5856CDCD}> as
having
                been successful.
  3:            Return NIL from load of
#p"/usr/share/common-lisp/systems/mcclim.asd".
  4: [ABORT   ] Return to Top-Level.

Debug  (type H for help)

(C::DO-CALL #<Code Object "Top-Level Form" {580A062F}> 3 4 96 ...)
Source:
; File: target:code/byte-interp.lisp

; File has been modified since compilation:
;   target:code/byte-interp.lisp
; Using form offset instead of character position.
(ERROR 'UNDEFINED-FUNCTION :NAME (FDEFN-NAME FUN-OR-FDEFN))
0]

Does anyone know what I can do to progress this?

Thanks,
Andy
From: Raymond Toy
Subject: Re: loading mcclim fails using cmucl and asdf

    andychambers> I'm having difficulty running the example programs supplied with mcclim
    andychambers> with cmucl.  I'm running on gentoo linux so dependancies like adsf have
    andychambers> been installed automatically.  However, I am a lisp newbie so please
    andychambers> bear with my foolishness.  Here is what I did.  Firstly, added the
    andychambers> following to  /etc/common-lisp/cmucl/site-init.lisp

If you can, try a newer version of mcclim.  That works for me.

    andychambers> #p"/var/cache/common-lisp-controller/ac/cmucl/cmucl-graystream/gray-streams-class.x86f".

    andychambers> Error in C::DO-CALL:  the function FILE-COMMENT is undefined.
    andychambers>    [Condition of type UNDEFINED-FUNCTION]

That sounds like a common-lisp-controller problem.  I can't help with
that.  But with a fairly recent (19c or later) version of cmucl, you
should be able to (require 'gray-streams) to load Gray streams
support.

Ray