From: Jonathon McKitrick
Subject: New Mac on the way... pointers needed for Emacs/SLIME
Has anyone installed these on the new Mac?  I'd love to hear any
suggestions you might have to share.

From: Tayssir John Gabbour
Jonathon McKitrick wrote:
> Has anyone installed these on the new Mac?  I'd love to hear any
> suggestions you might have to share.

Offhand...

If you don't use Peter Seibel's LispBox, you still might want to use
his asdf-extensions utils. Makes life easier.

After you update MacOS X to a new minor version, you'll often find that
Emacs is broken. I tend to just suck Emacs back down from CVS and
recompile. Sometimes merely recompiling my last CVS checkout is fine,
but sometimes it isn't. So keep that in mind when you upgrade your OS;
you probably want to download the CVS version beforehand, just to be
appropriately paranoid.

When you compile Emacs from CVS, the readme (I think it's macosx/README
or something) explains how to create a .dmg file if you scroll down a
bit. Works fine for me.

I recall dealing with stuff like umlauts sucked. The following seems to
work fine in my .emacs...
(set-language-environment "UTF-8")
(setq slime-net-coding-system 'utf-8-unix)

http://www.cliki.net/LispBox
http://www.cliki.net/SLIME%20Tips

Tayssir
From: Jonathon McKitrick
Tayssir John Gabbour wrote:
> When you compile Emacs from CVS, the readme (I think it's macosx/README
> or something) explains how to create a .dmg file if you scroll down a
> bit. Works fine for me.

Thanks for the advice.  I'd like to keep the system clean at first and
avoid installing stuff I don't need.  Can I run emacs and slime without
any of the X11 stuff like fink?
From: Alberto Santini
Yes.

I download Emacs fomr CVS.
Then I compile it with the following command executed by 'emacs/mac'
directory:

./make-package --without-x --build-in-place --keep-dir --self-contained

This command creates a carbon release. I prefer to use --keep-dir
option,
so I can copy the Emacs.app in the directory I want (for instance,
$HOME/My/Apps).

Some info more on

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/EmacsForMacOS

Regards,
Alberto
From: Tayssir John Gabbour
Jonathon McKitrick wrote:
> Tayssir John Gabbour wrote:
> > When you compile Emacs from CVS, the readme (I think it's macosx/README
> > or something) explains how to create a .dmg file if you scroll down a
> > bit. Works fine for me.
>
> Thanks for the advice.  I'd like to keep the system clean at first and
> avoid installing stuff I don't need.  Can I run emacs and slime without
> any of the X11 stuff like fink?

I don't even use Fink or Darwin Ports. ;) Those worked pretty badly for
me, and so I uninstalled them. Maybe they're better now though. I just
download the unix utils I want which aren't bundled with the OS, like
(for example) wget.

The trick with Slime, I think, is getting the CVS version, not the
tempting binary on their site. (Maybe the current situation is
different though...)

Tayssir
From: Jonathon McKitrick
From: Alberto Santini
Yes.

Cheers,
Alberto
From: bradb
Jonathon McKitrick wrote:
> Has anyone installed these on the new Mac?  I'd love to hear any
> suggestions you might have to share.

I've found AquaMacs, Slime CVS and SBCL 0.9.10.37 to work well on my
Intel Mac.

Cheers
Brad
From: Raffael Cavallaro
On 2006-05-23 10:53:56 -0400, "bradb" <··············@gmail.com> said:

> I've found AquaMacs, Slime CVS and SBCL 0.9.10.37 to work well on my
> Intel Mac.

Ditto here except I'm using sbcl 0.9.11.
From: Patrick May
Raffael Cavallaro
<················@pas-d'espam-s'il-vous-plait-mac.com> writes:
> On 2006-05-23 10:53:56 -0400, "bradb" <··············@gmail.com> said:
>
>> I've found AquaMacs, Slime CVS and SBCL 0.9.10.37 to work well on my
>> Intel Mac.
>
> Ditto here except I'm using sbcl 0.9.11.

Double ditto, but with a PowerBook.

Regards,

Patrick

S P Engineering, Inc.    | The experts in large scale distributed OO
          ···@spe.com    | (C++, Java, Common Lisp, Jini, CORBA, UML)
From: ······@math.purdue.edu
bradb wrote:
> I've found AquaMacs, Slime CVS and SBCL 0.9.10.37 to work well on my
> Intel Mac.

I've tried using AquaMacs with C files of 100,000+ lines or so
(generated by a Scheme->C compiler) and found it incredibly slow and
"laggy", even on my dual 2.0GHz G5.

I'm curious if others have noticed this, and, if so, if they've been
able to correct it.  (I went back to X11 emacs, which had no problems
with files of this size.)

Brad
From: Jonathon McKitrick
······@math.purdue.edu wrote:
> I'm curious if others have noticed this, and, if so, if they've been
> able to correct it.  (I went back to X11 emacs, which had no problems
> with files of this size.)

I apologize for my ignorance, that while I'm pretty old hat at Linux,
I'm new to Mac and I want to get things working without bogging down in
lots of details.

What's the easiest way to start with X11 emacs?  Do I need fink and
then emacs?  Is there a how-to on this?  I don't want to (a) spend days
learning the in's and out's of compiling on the Mac or (b) clutter my
new computer with build by-products if it can be avoided.
From: Pascal Bourguignon
"Jonathon McKitrick" <···········@bigfoot.com> writes:

> ······@math.purdue.edu wrote:
>> I'm curious if others have noticed this, and, if so, if they've been
>> able to correct it.  (I went back to X11 emacs, which had no problems
>> with files of this size.)
>
> I apologize for my ignorance, that while I'm pretty old hat at Linux,
> I'm new to Mac and I want to get things working without bogging down in
> lots of details.
>
> What's the easiest way to start with X11 emacs?  Do I need fink and
> then emacs?

Yes, that'd be painless.

Install fink, then:
fink install emacs
open /Applications/Utilities/X11.app
DISPLAY=:0.0 emacs &

> Is there a how-to on this?  I don't want to (a) spend days
> learning the in's and out's of compiling on the Mac or (b) clutter my
> new computer with build by-products if it can be avoided.

HEALTH WARNING: Care should be taken when lifting this product,
since its mass, and thus its weight, is dependent on its velocity
relative to the user.
From: Jonathon McKitrick
Pascal Bourguignon wrote:
> Install fink, then:
> fink install emacs
> open /Applications/Utilities/X11.app
> DISPLAY=:0.0 emacs &

Is there any reason, then, why I should choose X11 over Aquamacs?
From: Walker Pendleton
On 25 May 2006, Jonathon McKitrick wrote:
> Pascal Bourguignon wrote:
>> Install fink, then:
>> fink install emacs
>> open /Applications/Utilities/X11.app
>> DISPLAY=:0.0 emacs &
>
> Is there any reason, then, why I should choose X11 over Aquamacs?

X11 Emacs is GNU Emacs on X11, and Aquamacs is GNU Emacs + significant
customizations/custom work on Aqua (by which I mean Apple's GUI).  You
might want vanilla GNU Emacs if you don't care for Aquamacs's
customizations + tweaks.

I don't want `mac-like' — I want ``emacs-like''.  So I am one person
who would prefer X11 Emacs over Aquamacs.

But there are more choices.  When on my Mac, I prefer GNU Emacs on
`native' Aqua over GNU Emacs on X11.  This is supported in CVS Emacs.

In my experience, compiling from CVS on a Mac Intel is wholly trivial,
and running CVS Emacs is very stable.

* Zeroth, you install Apple's developer tools.  They're included on
  the install DVDs that came with your new Mac.

* First, you get the Emacs sources:

    cvs -z3 ····················@cvs.savannah.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs co emacs

* Then, you change into the ``Mac'' directory:

    cd emacs/mac

* Next, you run the build script provided:

    ./make-package

* You mount the .dmg that was generated.

    open EmacsInstaller.dmg

* You run the installer.

* Finally, you copy your .emacs over to your new Mac.
From: Jonathon McKitrick
Walker Pendleton wrote:

> * Finally, you copy your .emacs over to your new Mac.

Worked wonderfully, thanks!
From: Jonathon McKitrick

From: Harald Hanche-Olsen
+ Walker Pendleton <··················@stgiles-moraga.org>:

| In my experience, compiling from CVS on a Mac Intel is wholly trivial,
| and running CVS Emacs is very stable.

Indeed.

| * First, you get the Emacs sources:
|
|     cvs -z3 ····················@cvs.savannah.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs co emacs

Or, if you prefer to live life in the unicode world:

cvs -z3 ····················@cvs.savannah.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs co -r emacs-unicode-2 emacs

Personally, after I discovered the unicode branch, I am never going
back to an earlier emacs.

  -- Bertrand Russell
From: Raffael Cavallaro
On 2006-05-25 09:37:29 -0400, "Jonathon McKitrick"
<···········@bigfoot.com> said:

> Is there any reason, then, why I should choose X11 over Aquamacs?

Brad Lucier mentioned that Aquamacs is slow with very large files (on
the order of 10^5 lines). I don't open files that large, especially not
lisp files that large, so I've never had any problems with Aquamacs.
Aquamacs is much better integrated with Mac OS X imho.

Two some things to be aware of:

1. All GUI apps launched from the Finder take their environment vars
from a plist file located at
/Users/yourusername/.MacOSX/environment.plist - this is easy to reach
in the Finder by typing cmd-shift-G  and then entering ~/.MacOSX

If this file does not exist you'll need to create it. It can be edited
with Property List Editor which comes with the developer tools. You'll
need a key named PATH which is a string value that looks like this:

/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin  (lots more values after this)

when you edit this in Property List Editor you shouldn't put quotes
around the string, and the various path components are separated by
colons - no final colon.

You'll also want a value named SBCL_HOME which is normally
/usr/local/lib/sbcl/ (also a string value) if you plan to use sbcl with
slime. You might also want and any other environment vars you usually
want for a shell if you run eshell or that you want any inferior
process to inherit.

2. Aquamacs keeps its own set of directories inside the application
bundle. In particular it has its own site-lisp at:

/Applications/Aquamacs\ Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/

Any emacs lisp extensions you use with Aquamacs should go here to keep
Aquamacs self contained. Another upshot of his is that you might want
to keep a backup of Aquamacs.app so that when you upgrade (new versions
come out pretty regularly) you can just copy all your custom site-lisp
stuff from the backup into the site-lisp directory of the new version.

It also reads its own .emacs at:

/Users/yourusername/Library/Preferences/Aquamacs Emacs/dot-emacs

you might therefore want to make ~/.emacs a symlink to the above file
so that your regular .emacs and your Aquamacs Emacs .emacs are the same
file (then again you might want them to be different - just be aware
that Aquamacs uses its own site-lisp and .emacs)
From: ·············@gmail.com
Raffael Cavallaro wrote:

> Brad Lucier mentioned that Aquamacs is slow with very large files (on
> the order of 10^5 lines).

If that is the case, then so is GNU Emacs (Carbon, X11).
But I can't see this slowness. Only when you have very long lines in a
file, things tend to slow down considerably (in all Emacsen).

> 1. All GUI apps launched from the Finder take their environment vars
> from a plist file located at
> /Users/yourusername/.MacOSX/environment.plist - this is easy to reach
> in the Finder by typing cmd-shift-G  and then entering ~/.MacOSX

This is true. However, in addition to this, Aquamacs inherits the
environment from the system's default login shell. If you set
environment variables in ~/.bash_profile (assuming Bash is the login
shell), then Aquamacs will import these.
So no additional tweaks are necessary, unlike in other Emacsen on OS X.

> It also reads its own .emacs at:
> /Users/yourusername/Library/Preferences/Aquamacs Emacs/dot-emacs

That is incorrect. The filename in that place is Preferences.el.

Also, ~/.emacs is loaded as well for backwards-compatibility.

This is all explained in the Aquamacs documentation (manual and FAQ).

Hope that helps
- David

PS.: The above pertains to the current Aquamacs 0.9.9.c.

http://aquamacs.org/donate -- Could we help you? Return the favor and
support the Aquamacs Project!
From: Raffael Cavallaro
On 2006-05-25 10:31:07 -0400, ·············@gmail.com said:

> That is incorrect. The filename in that place is Preferences.el.
>
> Also, ~/.emacs is loaded as well for backwards-compatibility.

Oops - I must have renamed it and linked it to ~/.emacs so I'd only
have to maintain one file. Sorry for the confusion.
From: Pascal Bourguignon
"Jonathon McKitrick" <···········@bigfoot.com> writes:

> Pascal Bourguignon wrote:
>> Install fink, then:
>> fink install emacs
>> open /Applications/Utilities/X11.app
>> DISPLAY=:0.0 emacs &
>
> Is there any reason, then, why I should choose X11 over Aquamacs?

There is a very strong reason why MacOSX is an INFERIOR platform
(inferior to X11 and inferior to NeXTSTEP/OPENSTEP).  MacOSX is based
on Aqua.  And of course Aquamacs is an Aqua application.  Therefore,
you cannot use -display or -nxdisplay to open windows on other
displays on the network.  In one sentence: M-x make-frame-on-display
doesn't work in Aquamacs.  (Of course, it's possible that
make-frame-on-display work one day on Aquamacs, when it'll become an
hybrid Aqua/X11 application.  But this doesn't solve the problem for
the other Aqua applications, therefore MacOSX will stay inferior).

Another reason to use normal X11 GNU emacs, is that the same program
runs on MS-Windows, and any unix system, including MacOSX, therefore
you can use any of these systems with the same ~/.emacs and the same
interface: emacs.

"You can tell the Lisp programmers.  They have pockets full of punch
 cards with close parentheses on them." --> http://tinyurl.com/8ubpf
From: Thomas A. Russ
Pascal Bourguignon <···@informatimago.com> writes:

> "Jonathon McKitrick" <···········@bigfoot.com> writes:
>

> There is a very strong reason why MacOSX is an INFERIOR platform
> (inferior to X11 and inferior to NeXTSTEP/OPENSTEP).  MacOSX is based
> on Aqua.  And of course Aquamacs is an Aqua application.

Well, some of us prefer Aqua to X11.  Chacun � son go�t.

I also find it easier to switch between Emacs and the other Mac apps if
there is some commonality.  I've even gone to the trouble of binding
Command-C, Command-V and Command-X to their corresponding emacs
functions, since it helps me when copying & pasting between other
applications and emacs.[*]  At least on the Mac, they didn't take the
control key for the common commands.  Can't quite do that in Windows
without destroying the normal Emacs key bindings.

Now if I could only get out of the habit of closing the window when I
only mean to kill the current buffer....

>   Therefore,
> you cannot use -display or -nxdisplay to open windows on other
> displays on the network.  In one sentence: M-x make-frame-on-display
> doesn't work in Aquamacs.  (Of course, it's possible that
> make-frame-on-display work one day on Aquamacs, when it'll become an
> hybrid Aqua/X11 application.  But this doesn't solve the problem for
> the other Aqua applications, therefore MacOSX will stay inferior).

Wow!  I can't say I've every wanted to do that, though.

==========================

[*]  Unfortunately, it turns out that it is harder than one would hope
to setup the .emacs to map Command-<key> to something, since the key
string interpreter doesn't recognize any syntax for the Command prefix.

Even worse, there is something that looks like it should work, but
doesn't.  If you ask emacs to describe say Command-C combintation, it
prints a message saying A-a is undefined.  But "A-c" is not recognized
by the keystroke input reader.  Instead, you need to find the numeric
value, which can be done by using M-X global-set-key to set the key
interactively and then using M-Esc to retrieve the previous command and
copy it to the .emacs file.

From: Peter Seibel
Pascal Bourguignon <···@informatimago.com> writes:

> "Jonathon McKitrick" <···········@bigfoot.com> writes:
>
>> Pascal Bourguignon wrote:
>>> Install fink, then:
>>> fink install emacs
>>> open /Applications/Utilities/X11.app
>>> DISPLAY=:0.0 emacs &
>>
>> Is there any reason, then, why I should choose X11 over Aquamacs?

> Another reason to use normal X11 GNU emacs, is that the same program
> runs on MS-Windows, and any unix system, including MacOSX, therefore
> you can use any of these systems with the same ~/.emacs and the same
> interface: emacs.

Doesn't this same argument apply to a Carbon GNU Emacs built from the
CVS sources? I.e. not Aquamacs, which I consider an abomination, but a
plain old Emacs built to run as a Mac application rather than an X11
app.

Your other argument, about not being able to open windows on other X11
displays does, I imagine, hold. But that's not something I ever need
to do so I don't care about that.

-Peter

--
Peter Seibel           * ·····@gigamonkeys.com
From: Jonathon McKitrick
Peter Seibel wrote:

> Your other argument, about not being able to open windows on other X11
> displays does, I imagine, hold. But that's not something I ever need
> to do so I don't care about that.

Any tips you can share about running emacs and slime on OS X?
From: Bob Felts
Jonathon McKitrick <···········@bigfoot.com> wrote:

> Peter Seibel wrote:
>
> > Your other argument, about not being able to open windows on other X11
> > displays does, I imagine, hold. But that's not something I ever need
> > to do so I don't care about that.
>
> Any tips you can share about running emacs and slime on OS X?

I found the following helpful when I started using Lisp on OS X:

http://blog.zenzoa.com/articles/2005/11/17/installing-lisp-on-mac-os-x

I'm using OpenMCL, which isn't yet ready for Intel (SBCL, however, is).
I'm also now using Slime 2.0 instead of 1.2.1, and I'm using AquaMacs
instead of Carbon Emacs.
From: Peter Seibel
"Jonathon McKitrick" <···········@bigfoot.com> writes:

> Peter Seibel wrote:
>
>> Your other argument, about not being able to open windows on other X11
>> displays does, I imagine, hold. But that's not something I ever need
>> to do so I don't care about that.
>
> Any tips you can share about running emacs and slime on OS X?

Not really--it's all pretty straight-forward. You build Emacs, install
your Lisp and SLIME and away you go. Certainly a lot easier (for me)
than trying to do the same on Windows.

-Peter

--
Peter Seibel           * ·····@gigamonkeys.com
From: ·············@gmail.com
Pascal Bourguignon wrote:

> MacOSX is based on Aqua.  And of course Aquamacs is an Aqua application.  Therefore,
> you cannot use -display or -nxdisplay to open windows on other
> displays on the network.

Well I thought that would be a problem, but only until I got used to
tramp, which works beautifully for me.

Thank god I can make use of all the integration and comfort that the
Aqua UI offers...
From: Jonathon McKitrick
·············@gmail.com wrote:
> Well I thought that would be a problem, but only until I got used to
> tramp, which works beautifully for me.
>
> Thank god I can make use of all the integration and comfort that the
> Aqua UI offers...

So you found, then, that Aquamacs works better?  I need to commit to
one or the other soon so I can focus on work rather than tweaking my
workstation.
From: Pascal Bourguignon
"Jonathon McKitrick" <···········@bigfoot.com> writes:
> ·············@gmail.com wrote:
>> Well I thought that would be a problem, but only until I got used to
>> tramp, which works beautifully for me.
>>
>> Thank god I can make use of all the integration and comfort that the
>> Aqua UI offers...
>
> So you found, then, that Aquamacs works better?  I need to commit to
> one or the other soon so I can focus on work rather than tweaking my
> workstation.

It seems that the latest versions of Aquamacs can be made usable.

For example, if you start with the following, it starts to behave.
But really, I don't know what Aquamacs authors have in their heads...

(setf mac-command-modifier 'meta
      mac-option-modifier  'alt
      one-buffer-one-frame nil
      initial-frame-alist '((background-color . "#ddffee")
                            (left . 76)
                            (top . 20)
                            (widht . 80)
                            (height . 60))
      default-frame-alist (append initial-frame-alist default-frame-alist)
      default-cursor-type 'box
      cursor-type         'box)
(smart-frame-positioning-mode nil)
(tool-bar-mode -1)
(set-scroll-bar-mode 'left)
(setf x-toolkit-scroll-bars nil)
(cua-mode 0)
(transient-mark-mode 1)
(setf default-file-name-coding-system 'utf-8
      default-process-coding-system   '(utf-8 . utf-8))
(modify-coding-system-alist 'process ".*shell\\'" 'utf-8-unix)
(modify-coding-system-alist 'process ".*lisp\\'"  'utf-8-unix)
(defun set-font (font)
  (set-frame-font font)
  (set-default-font font))
;; (set-font  "fontset-courier13")
;; (set-font  "fontset-monaco13")
(set-font  "fontset-monaco12")

(custom-set-variables
 '(aquamacs-styles-mode nil nil (color-theme))
 '(cua-mode nil nil (cua-base))
 '(mac-command-modifier (quote meta))
 '(mac-option-modifier (quote alt))
 '(one-buffer-one-frame-mode nil nil (aquamacs-frame-setup))
 '(transient-mark-mode t)
 '(x-select-enable-clipboard t))

Pour moi, la grande question n'a jamais �t�: �Qui suis-je? O� vais-je?�
comme l'a formul� si adroitement notre ami Pascal, mais plut�t:
�Comment vais-je m'en tirer?� -- Jean Yanne
From: Förster vom Silberwald
Jonathon McKitrick wrote:

> So you found, then, that Aquamacs works better?  I need to commit to
> one or the other soon so I can focus on work rather than tweaking my
> workstation.

Sometimes the X11 Emacs is an obligate requirement. For example my
Bigloo Bee is in dire need of the X11 version. I wouldn't have gone far
with Aqua Emacs and Bee.

If you are new to Mac OSX: may I prefer you quickly install a virtual
desktop manager (e.g. rock stable beta version of freely obtainable:
Desktop Manager - 0.5.3).

If you want you can also install Orobor OsX window manager.

Coca Cola Light
From: ·············@gmail.com
Jonathon McKitrick:

>> Thank god I can make use of all the integration and comfort that the
>> Aqua UI offers...

>So you found, then, that Aquamacs works better?  I need to commit to
>one or the other soon so I can focus on work rather than tweaking my
>workstation.

The crucial question is whether you're a seasoned GNU Emacs user who
uses Emacs as a platform for a whole lot of applications (e.g. news,
e-mail, as a terminal) under various operating systems (GNU/Linux, OS X
and Windows) [ --> GNU Emacs recommended ]. In all other cases, I'd
recommend Aquamacs. For example, if you use many applications under OS
X, where you'd like to comfortably switch between them while
maintaining a core UI - e.g. common shortcuts, text selection behavior,
window behavior and the like.

The "devolution" configuration posted by Pascal Bourguignon creates
something that is close to a vanilla Emacs  - Pascal calls this
"behaving", I call it "proprietary Emacs UI". I don't see the point in
using Aquamacs if you don't like the UI or at least any of its packaged
features. It's largely down to personal preferences. Both Aquamacs and
Carbon Emacs Package function reasonably well (bugs remain - it's CVS
code). Builds from CVS work most of the time. The "Emacs.app" (Cocoa
Emacs) as well as Andrew Choi's XEmacs port are still in an earlier
development stage at this point.
From: ········@gmail.com
Subject: Emacs Keybindings for OS X
>Has anyone installed these on the new Mac?  I'd love to hear any
>suggestions you might have to share.

    http://www.lsmason.com/articles/macosxkeybindings.html

Nick