From: Ken Tilton
Subject: [ANNC] Celtk2 alpha release
Under here:

    http://common-lisp.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/?root=cells#dirlist

Grab modules: Cells and Celtk. And Gears if you like OpenGL

The install notes for Celtk will tell you what else to grab (CFFI and
cl-opengl), after I write them in a couple of hours and upload. The
install notes, I mean.

No, there is not any frickin' documentation, just lotsa examples. Get
over it.

Credits: Celtk2 and its predecessor Celtk exist only because of the fine
trailblazing example set by Peter Herth with LTk. Thanks, Peter!

History: Celtk sat atop the LTk core, which talked to a separate Tk
(wish) executable over stdin/stdout. Very effective, but FrankG and I
like OpenGL. Frank found Togl (a nice Tk OpenGL widget best
characterized as freeglut-in-a-wdget), but if one does not want to do
OpenGL via an interpreted scripting language (one does not), one needs
to have the Tcl interpreter running in the same process so you can get
at the OpenGL context. Frank did the bindings to call Tcl_Interp, and
Celtk2 was born.

Features:
The advantages over Celtk are:
  - OpenGL (duh)
  - true callbacks
  - full event handling (easier/finer control)
  - thx to CFFI, the C API is as easy or easier than pipes
  - faster C API (not a big deal over pipes, really)
  - one process, not two. Not sure if that matters.

The advantages of Celtk were and still are:
  - Cells
  - Tcl -- portable stuff like sockets, file management
  - Tk -- portable yet native GUI

kenny

"Have you ever been in a relationship?"
    Attorney for Mary Winkler, confessed killer of her
    minister husband, when asked if the couple had
    marital problems.