From: Edmond Dantes
Subject: Good online reference to the Lisp library
Hello, all.
I am new to Lisp, but looking to master this language as I have done with so
many others (C++, Java, Python, PHP, Forth, etc.) I think Lisp is immensely
powerful and am scratching my head why it didn't catch on more than it did.

At any rate, I've had trouble finding good online references for Lisp
similar to the ones that exists for Python and PHP. Could you suggest a few
sites?

Thanks a million.

And nevermind the stuff below. My ISP does that crap.

--
-- Edmond Dantes, CMC
And Now for something Completely Different:

From: Eric Lavigne
Subject: Re: Good online reference to the Lisp library
>I've had trouble finding good online references for Lisp
>similar to the ones that exists for Python and PHP. Could
>you suggest a few sites?

All of the following are available online at no charge. Some of them
are electronic copies of books that are also available for sale as
printed books.

Language reference
http://www.lisp.org/HyperSpec/FrontMatter/index.html

More general reference (including libraries)
http://www.cl-user.net

Introductory book
http://gigamonkeys.com/book/

Another introductory book (easier than gigamonkeys)
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/LispBook/index.html

Advanced book
http://paulgraham.com/onlisp.html
From: Thomas A. Russ
Edmond Dantes <······@le-comte-de-monte-cristo.biz> writes:

> I think Lisp is immensely powerful and am scratching my head why it
> didn't catch on more than it did.

This often puzzles us, too.  ;)

> At any rate, I've had trouble finding good online references for Lisp
> similar to the ones that exists for Python and PHP. Could you suggest a few
> sites?

In addition to the good, comprehensive set of on-line links Eric Lavigne
provided, you should also consider getting Peter Norvig's _Paradigms of
AI Programming: Case Studies in Common Lisp_ It has a very abbreviated
introduction to Lisp, which may be enough if you have fairly good
familiarity with a variety of programming languages (*), and then it
goes into some really neat applications of Common Lisp in AI.  It really
shows off some of the power of the language, and provides a series of
really good programs in the process.

(*) This, of course, varies with the person and experience.  Some of the
grad students I've given it too, found it a bit too terse, especially
with regard to some fundamental lisp concepts such as quoting,
evaluation, and detailed syntax exercises.  They've preferred a more
extensive tutorial approach.

From: Edmond Dantes
>> At any rate, I've had trouble finding good online references for Lisp
>> similar to the ones that exists for Python and PHP. Could you suggest a
>> few sites?
>
> In addition to the good, comprehensive set of on-line links Eric Lavigne
> provided, you should also consider getting Peter Norvig's _Paradigms of
> AI Programming: Case Studies in Common Lisp_ It has a very abbreviated
> introduction to Lisp, which may be enough if you have fairly good
> familiarity with a variety of programming languages (*), and then it
> goes into some really neat applications of Common Lisp in AI.  It really
> shows off some of the power of the language, and provides a series of
> really good programs in the process.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

> (*) This, of course, varies with the person and experience.  Some of the
> grad students I've given it too, found it a bit too terse, especially
> with regard to some fundamental lisp concepts such as quoting,
> evaluation, and detailed syntax exercises.  They've preferred a more
> extensive tutorial approach.

Hey, when I was 18 (I'm 44 now) my *employer* had me writing assembly and a
C compiler, and a whole new  OS. I don't think I'll have a problem.

<smug grin>

Thanks again.

--
  http://urology.medicalclue.com
  http://Fort-Lauderdale.bestholidaytips.com
  http://pump.industrialtips.com
  http://cooking.workappliance.com
  http://carpet-tile.HomeImprovementBase.com
  http://exercise.blackboystuff.com
  http://gas-furnace.HomeImprovementBase.com

                http://www.usenet.com
From: Thomas A. Russ
Edmond Dantes <······@le-comte-de-monte-cristo.biz> writes:

> Thomas A. Russ wrote:
> > (*) This, of course, varies with the person and experience.  Some of the
> > grad students I've given it too, found it a bit too terse, especially
> > with regard to some fundamental lisp concepts such as quoting,
> > evaluation, and detailed syntax exercises.  They've preferred a more
> > extensive tutorial approach.
>
> Hey, when I was 18 (I'm 44 now) my *employer* had me writing assembly and a
> C compiler, and a whole new  OS. I don't think I'll have a problem.
>
> <smug grin>

Sounds like my kind of guy....

From: Aravindh Johendran
You might find the following also useful:

Successful Lisp
http://www.psg.com/~dlamkins/sl/cover.html

List of resources:
http://www.lisp.org/alu/res-lisp-education

From: Aravindh Johendran
You might also want to get a feel for the efficiency issues:

1) Lisp Style and Efficiency
http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/novak/lispeff.html