From: Novus
Subject: Re: libdb2 for Intel mac
On 2006-05-10 04:11:51 -0400, Jeffery Zhang <····@cornell.edu> said:

> How do I do that? I can't even install clsql right now because libdb2
> is listed as a dependency
>
> On 2006-05-09 19:31:37 -0400, Novus <·····@ngoqde.org> said:
>
>> On 2006-05-09 18:03:38 -0400, Jeffery Zhang <····@cornell.edu> said:
>>
>>> I've been looking all over the place for a source distro to libdb2 so i
>>> can install clsql. It seems that all the search results on google are
>>> binary distros for linux. Where can i find a source distro so i can
>>> install it on my intel mac
>>
>> You could always use the sqlite backend.

Top quoting is a very evil thing. English speakers usually start at the
top and read down. When you top quote the readers have to jump all over
the place to follow the discussion.

To answer your question, just because clsql supports numerous backends
doesn't mean you have to use all of them. libdb2 is only a dependency
if you use clsql-db2.asd. You'll note that the string "db2" doesn't
appear in clsql.asd.

Novus

From: Jeffery Zhang
On 2006-05-10 16:32:50 -0400, Novus <·····@ngoqde.org> said:

> On 2006-05-10 04:11:51 -0400, Jeffery Zhang <····@cornell.edu> said:
>
>> How do I do that? I can't even install clsql right now because libdb2
>> is listed as a dependency

>>> You could always use the sqlite backend.
>
> Top quoting is a very evil thing. English speakers usually start at the
> top and read down. When you top quote the readers have to jump all over
> the place to follow the discussion.
>
> To answer your question, just because clsql supports numerous backends
> doesn't mean you have to use all of them. libdb2 is only a dependency
> if you use clsql-db2.asd. You'll note that the string "db2" doesn't
> appear in clsql.asd.
>
> Novus

sorry about that. I'm just used to top quoting as a habit from email
conversations. How do I change the install settings so that I use the
sqlite backend or mysql backend? I'm still new to asdf-install so I
don't know how to change the default settings. All I'm doing is typing
in (asdf-install:install :clsql) into the repl and it downloads and
installs all the dependencies. Of these it fails on libdb2 and I don't
know what to do about it.

-Jeff
From: Novus
On 2006-05-11 00:17:39 -0400, Jeffery Zhang <····@cornell.edu> said:

> On 2006-05-10 16:32:50 -0400, Novus <·····@ngoqde.org> said:
>
>> To answer your question, just because clsql supports numerous backends
>> doesn't mean you have to use all of them. libdb2 is only a dependency
>> if you use clsql-db2.asd. You'll note that the string "db2" doesn't
>> appear in clsql.asd.
>
> sorry about that. I'm just used to top quoting as a habit from email
> conversations. How do I change the install settings so that I use the
> sqlite backend or mysql backend? I'm still new to asdf-install so I
> don't know how to change the default settings. All I'm doing is typing
> in (asdf-install:install :clsql) into the repl and it downloads and
> installs all the dependencies. Of these it fails on libdb2 and I don't
> know what to do about it.

Ah, now I can see your problem. I only use asdf as asdf-install has always
seemed a little hokey to me.

Download clsql, stick it in your site directory, and then link only the
.asd's you need in your system directory. I only use clsql.asd,
clsql-uffi.asd, and clsql-sqlite3.asd. Then be sure to checkout
http://clsql.b9.com/manual/appendix.html for info on the backend you use.

If that didn't mean much to you then read http://www.cliki.net/asdf for info
on setting up asdf.

Novus
From: Pascal Bourguignon
Jeffery Zhang <····@cornell.edu> writes:

> On 2006-05-10 16:32:50 -0400, Novus <·····@ngoqde.org> said:
>
>> On 2006-05-10 04:11:51 -0400, Jeffery Zhang <····@cornell.edu> said:
>> Top quoting is a very evil thing. English speakers usually start at
>> the top and read down. When you top quote the readers have to jump all
>> over the place to follow the discussion.
> sorry about that. I'm just used to top quoting as a habit from email
> conversations.

It's rude in email too.  Only that with email you annoy only one or a few
correspondants...

NOTE: The most fundamental particles in this product are held
together by a "gluing" force about which little is currently known
and whose adhesive power can therefore not be permanently
guaranteed.
From: drewc
>Jeffery Zhang <····@cornell.edu> writes:

> How do I change the install settings so that I use the
> sqlite backend or mysql backend? I'm still new to asdf-install so I
> don't know how to change the default settings.

There is no default database backend used by clsql, you specifically
have to load the correct .asd for your database.

> All I'm doing is typing
> in (asdf-install:install :clsql) into the repl and it downloads and
> installs all the dependencies. Of these it fails on libdb2 and I don't
> know what to do about it.

Try just hitting the 'ACCEPT' restart (or whatever similar restart
your implementation offers) .. if you don't need the backend, you
don't really need it to compile correctly.. right? ;)

I find it's best to install CLSQL from a tarball and not via
asdf-install, as the latter tries to compile everything, failing for
any database not installed. But the ACCEPT method should work just as
well.

Cheers,
drewc
--
<remove dying god from address to respond>