From: Benjamin Teuber
Subject: Cells for Web-Programming?
Hi!

Inspired by Seaside and cells-gtk, I recently thought about whether a
lisp killer-app for Web-Programming could copy the "designing persistent
web objects" aproach from Seaside to make web-programming more
comfortable. Maybe this could be done using Cells as a framework...

What do you think?

Ben
From: Ken Tilton
Subject: Re: Cells for Web-Programming?
Benjamin Teuber wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Inspired by Seaside and cells-gtk,

Wait till you see Cello2, effectively cells-tcl-tk-togl.

> I recently thought about whether a
> lisp killer-app for Web-Programming could copy the "designing persistent
> web objects" aproach from Seaside to make web-programming more
> comfortable. Maybe this could be done using Cells as a framework...
>
> What do you think?

Wellll, I glanced at the PDF on Seaside. I see it makes a big deal about
being OO. That sounds good for Cells. I did not read further, nor do I
know anything about Web programming, but my experience has been that
Cells tend to make any complex development task vastly easier, and they
are a natural for all sorts of surprisingy different applications.
RoboCup springs to mind.

Cells-gtk (derived from my original cells-ltk effort) is a good example.
  In addition to the expected powerful linking of GUI elements, Cells
made trivial the problem of keeping the foreign C GUI in step with the
CLOS model driving everything. of course we would rather be programming
CLOS models than worrying about our C GUI, so... we do. Cells observers
plus a reasonable amount of glue provided by Cells-Gtk or cells-tk
developers makes the Gtk and Tk libraries seem to the developer as if
they are native Lisp GUIs. Which is nice.

The key is this: use Cells if the system must consistently reshape an
interesting amount of state to reflect a steady stream of unpredictable
events. A GUI is one example, RoboCup virtual clients are another (the
model is of the ongoing game). From what I hear, this also describes
well the core problem of Web application programming.

So I think, "yes". :)

kenny

"Have you ever been in a relationship?"
    Attorney for Mary Winkler, confessed killer of her
    minister husband, when asked if the couple had
    marital problems.