From: Shyamal Prasad
Subject: Need recommendations on using GTK+ from common lisp
Hi,

Can some one recommend a common lisp library that provides access to
the gtk toolkit (gtk 2.x would be nice). It needs to be open source,
and I would prefer to use it with sbcl or clisp, but other than that
any recommendation would be good for me.

I know about librep, but I was hoping for a real common lisp library.

Cheers!
Shyamal

From: Philippe Lorin
Shyamal Prasad wrote:
> Can some one recommend a common lisp library that provides access to
> the gtk toolkit (gtk 2.x would be nice). It needs to be open source,
> and I would prefer to use it with sbcl or clisp, but other than that
> any recommendation would be good for me.

I've been using
http://common-lisp.net/project/lambda-gtk/
and found it nice.
From: Paul Viney
As far as I'm aware, your options are ...

lambda-gtk - http://common-lisp.net/project/lambda-gtk/

lgtk - http://common-lisp.net/project/lgtk/

cells-gtk - http://common-lisp.net/project/cells-gtk/

gtk-server - http://www.gtk-server.org/index.html

clg - http://sourceforge.net/projects/clg

lambda-gtk works well with SBCL 0.8.1, but I never got it working with SBCL
0.9.9 . The home page seems inactive, but if you grab the CVS release then
it's still being worked on. Last week I couldn't get the CVS version to
work with SBCL.

lgtk seems incomplete and inactive, but I haven't investigated thoroughly.

cells-gtk seems active, but I couldn't get it to work with SBCL.

gtk-server I haven't really explored. It makes use of a separate process for
the GTK handling, which may or may not interest you.

clg seems to work well, and has just had a new release (0.92). There's not
much documentation, but the examples are good. It has explicit SBCL
support, and has given me the least trouble up to now.

I've been looking at user interfaces the last couple of weeks (for SBCL),
and have personally decided to go with clg.

Hope there's something useful in here :-)

Paul Viney
From: Peter
Paul Viney schreef:
> As far as I'm aware, your options are ...
>
> lambda-gtk - http://common-lisp.net/project/lambda-gtk/
>
> lgtk - http://common-lisp.net/project/lgtk/
>
> cells-gtk - http://common-lisp.net/project/cells-gtk/
>
> gtk-server - http://www.gtk-server.org/index.html
>
> clg - http://sourceforge.net/projects/clg
>

> lambda-gtk works well with SBCL 0.8.1, but I never got it working with SBCL
> 0.9.9 . The home page seems inactive, but if you grab the CVS release then
> it's still being worked on. Last week I couldn't get the CVS version to
> work with SBCL.
>
> lgtk seems incomplete and inactive, but I haven't investigated thoroughly.
>
> cells-gtk seems active, but I couldn't get it to work with SBCL.
>
> gtk-server I haven't really explored. It makes use of a separate process for
> the GTK handling, which may or may not interest you.
>
> clg seems to work well, and has just had a new release (0.92). There's not
> much documentation, but the examples are good. It has explicit SBCL
> support, and has given me the least trouble up to now.
>
> I've been looking at user interfaces the last couple of weeks (for SBCL),
> and have personally decided to go with clg.
>
> Hope there's something useful in here :-)
>
> Paul Viney

About GTK-server, that's not completely true. The latest versions of
GTK-server also can be compiled as a shared object or DLL, which can be
imported by CLisp (see examples section of www.gtk-server.org). In that
case you do not have a separate process running to handle GTK calls.

Furthermore there are some demonstrations with Clisp at the
'applications' section.

Finally a complete binding exists for multiple platforms and LISP
versions at the website of Leonardo Cecchi:

http://leonardoce.interfree.it/gtkserver/index.html

Peter
From: Paul Viney
Thanks for the extra info Peter - that's one I completely missed. I'll be
looking at it too.

Paul

From: Shyamal Prasad

    Paul> clg seems to work well, and has just had a new release

Thanks everyone. After poking around I think I'm probably going to
start with clg.

Cheers!
Shyamal
From: Peter Denno
Paul Viney wrote:

> cells-gtk seems active, but I couldn't get it to work with SBCL.

What's not working? I the maintainer, but I don't read c.l.l often.

--
Best regards,
  - Peter
From: Paul Viney
Peter Denno wrote:

> What's not working? I the maintainer, but I don't read c.l.l often.

I've tried it again, and it looks like my memory wasn't quite as accurate as
I thought. I can (load "load") ok, and then run (test-gtk::gtk-demo)
without any problems. If I then quit sbcl, restart, and type the same 2
commands, the demo doesn't work the second time, and I get to see the
following ...

* (test-gtk::gtk-demo)

(<unknown>:18712): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_box_pack_start: assertion
`child->parent == NULL' failed

(<unknown>:18712): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_box_pack_start: assertion
`child->parent == NULL' failed

(<unknown>:18712): Gtk-WARNING **: Attempting to add a widget with type
GtkAccelLabel to a GtkImageMenuItem, but as a GtkBin subclass a
GtkImageMenuItem can only contain one widget at a time; it already contains
a widget of type GtkAccelLabel

debugger invoked on a UNDEFINED-FUNCTION in thread
#<THREAD "initial thread" {9A43459}>:
  The function GTK-FFI::FFI-TO-UFFI-TYPE is undefined.

Type HELP for debugger help, or (SB-EXT:QUIT) to exit from SBCL.

restarts (invokable by number or by possibly-abbreviated name):
  0: [ABORT] Exit debugger, returning to top level.

("bogus stack frame")
0]

Seeing as I had a bunch of UI libraries to evaluate, I'm afraid I didn't
look any further. Sorry the first report wasn't completely accurate.

Paul Viney

From: Ken Tilton
Paul Viney wrote:
> Peter Denno wrote:
>

>>What's not working? I the maintainer, but I don't read c.l.l often.

Please tell me you also posted this to the cells-gtk list. :)

ken