From: Vladimir Zolotykh
Subject: ACL, Emacs and )
Could you please explain what's going on ?

Start emacs

  emacs -q

Perform
  M-x load-file /usr/local/acl/eli/fi-site-init
  M-x eval-expression (fi:common-lisp "*common-lisp*" nil "/usr/local/acl/mlisp" nil "localhost")

Now in the *common-lisp* buffer I just type close parenthesis astray

cl-user(2): )

After that I can't get cl-user prompt anymore. Anything I type seems
has ho effect at all as if I were typing in the plain text buffer.
Two questions about that:

1) Why it is so ?
2) How I can get rid of that useless state and resume normal *common-lisp*
   (Lisp listener) buffer again ?

If I run mlisp alone e.g. in the terminal window I immediately get

  Error: ignoring extra right parenthesis.

after typing ")" just after the prompt.

Using ACL80, Emacs 21.4.1

--
Vladimir Zolotykh

From: Laurence Kramer
Subject: Re: ACL, Emacs and )
Vladimir Zolotykh wrote:

> Could you please explain what's going on ?
>
> Start emacs
>
>   emacs -q
>
> Perform
>   M-x load-file /usr/local/acl/eli/fi-site-init
>   M-x eval-expression (fi:common-lisp "*common-lisp*" nil "/usr/local/acl/mlisp" nil "localhost")
>
> Now in the *common-lisp* buffer I just type close parenthesis astray
>
> cl-user(2): )
>
> After that I can't get cl-user prompt anymore. Anything I type seems
> has ho effect at all as if I were typing in the plain text buffer.
> Two questions about that:
>
> 1) Why it is so ?

Not sure exactly, but it's the same as if you typed
; afljda fdfa
Everything after the semi-colon is ignored by the reader.

> 2) How I can get rid of that useless state and resume normal *common-lisp*
>    (Lisp listener) buffer again ?

Backspace and delete the right paren.
I'm running ACL 8.0 with emacs 21.3.1 and that works for me.

Larry

From: Vladimir Zolotykh
On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 10:44:29 -0500
Laurence Kramer <·······@cs.cmu.edu> wrote:

> Vladimir Zolotykh wrote:
>
> > Could you please explain what's going on ?
> >
> > Start emacs
> >
> >   emacs -q
> >
> > Perform
> >   M-x load-file /usr/local/acl/eli/fi-site-init
> >   M-x eval-expression (fi:common-lisp "*common-lisp*" nil "/usr/local/acl/mlisp" nil "localhost")
> >
> > Now in the *common-lisp* buffer I just type close parenthesis astray
> >
> > cl-user(2): )
> >
> > After that I can't get cl-user prompt anymore. Anything I type seems
> > has ho effect at all as if I were typing in the plain text buffer.
> > Two questions about that:
> >
> > 1) Why it is so ?
>
> Not sure exactly, but it's the same as if you typed
> ; afljda fdfa
> Everything after the semi-colon is ignored by the reader.

I'm afraid it is not quite a close similarity. Pressing <RETURN> after
semi-colon brings me back to normal prompt while <RETURN> after close
paren doesn't. Also why I instantly get an error in Lisp being run
standalone?

> > 2) How I can get rid of that useless state and resume normal *common-lisp*
> >    (Lisp listener) buffer again ?
>
> Backspace and delete the right paren.
> I'm running ACL 8.0 with emacs 21.3.1 and that works for me.

Thanks, it works for me too.

--
Vladimir Zolotykh