From: Dvd Avins
Subject: Configuring LispBox/SLIME/Emacs
I don't know if I did anything wrong when I installed LispBox for
Windows (I don't *think* I did, but maybe that's the answer) but it
can't find the Emacs tutorial or manual. Being used to
Windows/Macintosh text editing conventions, I'm finding LispBox to be
more than a little frustrating.

Where can I find out what the editing commands are and/or how to
customize the commands.

Oh, and is it possible in LispBox to enter in a bunch of code and then
execute a selected part of that code?

BTW,  I used BRIEF in the 1980s and didn't switch to what I now think
of as standard editing functionality until I started using Word for
Macintosh in 1991. Learning Word seemed much more stragiht-forward than
learning Emacs/SLIME. Maybe that's because I had a manual, but I think
it's also because allmost all the functionality was 1) available in
well-orgainzed menus and 2) had a shortcut keys that was shown in the
menu item.

From: Eric Lavigne
Subject: Re: Configuring LispBox/SLIME/Emacs
> I don't know if I did anything wrong when I installed LispBox for
> Windows (I don't *think* I did, but maybe that's the answer) but it
> can't find the Emacs tutorial or manual.

My guess is that you installed the old version of LispBox from here:
http://common-lisp.net/project/lispbox/

If you had installed the new version from here...
http://gigamonkeys.com/book/lispbox/
... then you could just get the tutorial and manual from the help menu
in Emacs.

> Being used to
> Windows/Macintosh text editing conventions, I'm finding LispBox to be
> more than a little frustrating.

The quick and dirty fix is to not use keyboard shortcuts, except maybe
TAB to properly indent a line of Lisp code. That lets you focus on Lisp
to start out, and you can learn Emacs properly later. When you are
ready, of course, it is well worth your time to learn how to use Emacs
well with the tutorial and manual.

> Oh, and is it possible in LispBox to enter in a bunch of code and then
> execute a selected part of that code?

I usually just copy/paste into the REPL, but the command you are
looking for might be in the SLIME menu.
From: Dvd Avins
From: Don Lindsay, Jr.
Do 'M-x' (Alt-x) then 'slime-eval' and then hit the tab button.

The autocomplete function will show you a list of possible completions.
What will will be evaluated will depend on which selection you make and
where the 'point' (the cursor) is.

Don
From: AndersPE
I used the SLIME hanbok (kan be download from
http://common-lisp.net/project/slime/

And the movie about SLIME/EMACS was for me a great introduktion
http://common-lisp.net/movies/slime.mov

// Anders