From: Cor Gest
Subject: SBCL/lispbox setup non-threded
When trying-out sbcl-0.9.10 (linux-x86 binary) it barfed at sb-ext::thread.
After some looking through the docs I saw it had to do with NPTL stuff
in the 2.6-kernel related to threading internals.
But alas (chicken/egg) can't use 2.6 cause it does not grok my
advansys-scsi hardware yet, so 2.4.31 has to do for now.

Thus I compiled sbcl-0.9.10 from source whithout sb-ext::threads as
the config macro mentioned in the configuration docs. So far so good
it, it compiled [with clisp-2.38], tests ran ok and it loads in
slime/lispbox.

But something keeps nagging me a bit, hence my question:

Since I am sbcl-internals ignorant, are there any nasty consequences
whith this approach irt the GC and/or threaded applications etc.
Finding out 'the hard way' seems not to be the best approach to me and
re-inventing wheels is not my favorite passtime either.

Cor

--
I do not use any Windows(TM) products, therefore
I do not fear mail from strangers         http://www.clsnet.nl/mail.php

From: daBittweiler
Subject: Re: SBCL/lispbox setup non-threded
From: Cor Gest
Some entity AKA "daBittweiler" <············@gmail.com>
 wrote this mindboggling stuff:

(selectively-snipped-or-not-p)
> If you only understood :P
> (setq lisp (+ sbcl slime emacs))
just missing the sbcl part, but the acl6//7 and clisp
parts done their job so far, as did emacs.

Cor

From: Juho Snellman
Cor Gest <···@clsnet.nl> wrote:
> Since I am sbcl-internals ignorant, are there any nasty consequences
> whith this approach irt the GC and/or threaded applications etc.

Disabling thread support has the obvious consequence of, well,
disabling threading. So you won't be able to run threaded
applications.

--
Juho Snellman
From: Cor Gest
Some entity AKA Juho Snellman <······@iki.fi>
 wrote this mindboggling stuff:

(selectively-snipped-or-not-p)
> Cor Gest <···@clsnet.nl> wrote:
> > Since I am sbcl-internals ignorant, are there any nasty consequences
> > whith this approach irt the GC and/or threaded applications etc.
>
> Disabling thread support has the obvious consequence of, well,
> disabling threading. So you won't be able to run threaded
> applications.

Well, presumable it does , but it does not mean that linux 2.4 does
not understand any threading just not the type 2.6 does. [NPTL] since
the vm memory-model is rather different in 2.4 icm 2.6.
So the gist was, could it be this sbcl groks the `native threads' or
cop out and would installing sbcl-8 be wiser.

cor