From: ········@pobox.com
Subject: Building a Windows CLISP
Because the free *nix Lisp tools seem a lot better than the free
Windows Lisp tools, I decided to install something that would let me
run at least some of the *nix tools. Since I've never used Unix, I
figured it would be somewhat less trouble to use CYGWIN and the like,
rather than installing a Linux partition.

So I'm following Frank Buss's instructions at
http://www.frank-buss.de/lisp/clab/trunk/clisp/ for installing CLISP,
and I've run into a problem: I've installed MinGW and MSYS and
downloaded the CLISP files, but when I run the commands Frank has
indicated, I start getting problems at ./configure --prefix=${prefix}.
Specifically, the first error is checking for C compiler default output
file name... configure: error: C compiler                       cannot
create executables.

Can Frank or anyone else tell me what i should do from here? The full
shell output is below for reference.

·····@USER-1H60ZGBZAY /
$ cd clisp-2.38

·····@USER-1H60ZGBZAY /clisp-2.38
$ cat /clisp-2.38.patch | patch -p1
patching file `src/makemake.in'
patching file `src/spvw.d'
patching file `src/stream.d'
patching file `src/win32aux.d'

·····@USER-1H60ZGBZAY /clisp-2.38
$ CC='gcc -mno-cygwin'; export CC

·····@USER-1H60ZGBZAY /clisp-2.38
$ mkdir tools; cd tools; prefix=`pwd`/i686-pc-mingw32

·····@USER-1H60ZGBZAY /clisp-2.38/tools
$ tar xfz /libsigsegv-2.2.tar.gz

·····@USER-1H60ZGBZAY /clisp-2.38/tools
$ cd libsigsegv-2.2

·····@USER-1H60ZGBZAY /clisp-2.38/tools/libsigsegv-2.2
$ ./configure --prefix=${prefix}

Build Tools:
checking for a BSD-compatible install... /bin/install -c
checking for gawk... gawk
checking for gcc... gcc -mno-cygwin
checking for C compiler default output file name... configure: error: C
compiler                       cannot create executables
See `config.log' for more details.

·····@USER-1H60ZGBZAY /clisp-2.38/tools/libsigsegv-2.2
$ make
make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found.  Stop.

·····@USER-1H60ZGBZAY /clisp-2.38/tools/libsigsegv-2.2
$ make check
make: *** No rule to make target `check'.  Stop.

·····@USER-1H60ZGBZAY /clisp-2.38/tools/libsigsegv-2.2
$ make install
make: Nothing to be done for `install'.

·····@USER-1H60ZGBZAY /clisp-2.38/tools/libsigsegv-2.2
$ cd ../..

·····@USER-1H60ZGBZAY /clisp-2.38
$ ./configure --with-mingw \

From: Frank Buss
Subject: Re: Building a Windows CLISP
········@pobox.com wrote:

> checking for C compiler default output file name... configure: error: C
> compiler                       cannot create executables
> See `config.log' for more details.

this is a know problem in MinGW when something is wrong with the paths, see
e.g. http://www.google.de/search?q=mingw+%22cannot+create+executables%22

It should work, if you follow the instructions on my webpage. The important
thing is to set the path for GCC, like described. Some files after
installing it on my computer and unpacking clisp to "/":

C:\MinGW\bin\gcc.exe
C:\MinGW\lib\gcc\mingw32\3.4.2\libgcc.a
C:\MinGW\1.0\bin\make.exe
C:\MinGW\1.0\clisp-2.38

I'm sure I didn't understand the MinGW path concepts, but at least it
worked for me :-)

--
Frank Buss, ··@frank-buss.de
From: Dvd Avins
I did set the path. I'm sorry in my last post I accidentally cropped
the first few lines of the shell session. They were:

·····@USER-1H60ZGBZAY ~
$ export PATH=.:/bin:/usr/bin:/mingw/bin

·····@USER-1H60ZGBZAY ~
$ cd /

·····@USER-1H60ZGBZAY /
$ tar -xzf clisp-2.38.tar.gz

·····@USER-1H60ZGBZAY /
$ cd clisp-2.38

I have all the files you mention (the last one being a directory) in
the directories you say they're in.
From: Pascal Bourguignon
········@pobox.com writes:
> Because the free *nix Lisp tools seem a lot better than the free
> Windows Lisp tools, I decided to install something that would let me
> run at least some of the *nix tools. Since I've never used Unix, I
> figured it would be somewhat less trouble to use CYGWIN and the like,
> rather than installing a Linux partition.

You can run Linux on MS-Windows without having to partition your hard disk.
Try: http://www.coLinux.org

This will  probably be easier than cygwin, because with cygwin you
have to manage both unix and MS-Windows.  With coLinux, you've got an
isolated linux OS running as a MS-Windows application.

Later, if you want to deploy a clisp application on MS-Windows, you
can use a native MS-Windows clisp, or clisp on cygwin.

You're always typing.
Well, let's see you ignore my
sitting on your hands.
From: Dvd Avins
Hmm. When the installation instructions (from the wiki) assume you
already have CYGWIN, it makes me wonder if it's intended for *nix
noobs.

Thanks, though. It may be my best solution.

I feel like I'm going to end up spending a lot of time learning
non-Lisp doohickeys that I don't care about, just because the Lisp
hackers who build cool tools all learned on emacs. I love how the Qi
web site says that it will run almost anywhere because it runs on
CLISP, and CLISP will run just about anywhere. Beliieving that, and
that therfore it must be straightforward to set up CLISP in Windows,
has already cost me some hours.
From: ·········@gmail.com
This worked just fine when I used Windows:

http://common-lisp.net/project/lispbox/

Regards, Tommy
From: Eric Lavigne
> This worked just fine when I used Windows:
>
> http://common-lisp.net/project/lispbox/

Yes, the above mentioned lispbox is very easy to install under windows
(easier in windows than in linux, actually). I prefer the Gigamonkeys
version, though, which comes with some nice libraries (such as Perl
compatible regular expressions) pre-installed:

http://gigamonkeys.com/book/lispbox/

Lispbox does use Emacs (with SLIME), but you don't really need to know
anything about Emacs to use or install lispbox. The whole package is
very easy to work with.
From: Dvd Avins
From: Dvd Avins
Thanks. It's running and I'm looking at emacs for the first time (not
counting looking over a coworker's shoulder several years ago).

Now, if things like LTK, Cells, and maybe Common Lisp Application
Builder work over it, I'll die happy (without even finishing my toy
applications).
From: Eric Lavigne
> Thanks. It's running and I'm looking at emacs for the first time (not
> counting looking over a coworker's shoulder several years ago).
>
> Now, if things like LTK, Cells, and maybe Common Lisp Application
> Builder work over it, I'll die happy (without even finishing my toy
> applications).

Common Lisp Application Builder is actually available as a standalone
binary, just like lispbox is...

Even if you already have lispbox installed, it's probably easier to
just grab the binaries and use it separately from lispbox. In
particular, check out the win32-gui-eval, which looks pretty cool.

http://svn.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/lispbuilder/trunk/lispbuilder-windows/documentation/index.html

LTK and Cells look better for serious work, but it's nice to be able to
play with something right out of the box.
From: Pascal Bourguignon
"Dvd Avins" <········@pobox.com> writes:
> Hmm. When the installation instructions (from the wiki) assume you
> already have CYGWIN, it makes me wonder if it's intended for *nix
> noobs.

Have a look at win32msvc/INSTALL

Installation on Win32 (WinNT, Win95) using the MSVC4.0 or MSVC5.0 or MSVC6.0
or MSVC7.0 development environment, using native system calls

Apparently, 100% pure MS-Windows developers don't need wiki help,
so it must be extra easy for them ;-)

"Do not adjust your mind, there is a fault in reality"
 -- on a wall many years ago in Oxford.