From: ··············@gmail.com
Subject: New to LISP
Hi guys,

I'm sure that this has been asked many times before, but I was
wondering if you could point me to any good resources for learning
lisp.

I've decided that the best way for me to learn lisp is to dive
head-first into a project. Basically I want to create a pseudo-blog
generator.

Essentially what I want to do is:
1. Write a blog entry into a text file and copy it into a directory.
The text file would contain formatting cues. For example _hello_ would
produce <b>hello</b> in html and all that jazz. Similar to the
writeboards that 37signals makes.

2. Copy the text file into a directory, where I will execute the lisp
program, or maybe somehow have the lisp program running in the
background and being able to detect when I have copied over a new file?

3. Have it parse the text files inside the directory (each of them
being blog entries) and generate an index page with links to all of the
blog entries. Each blog entry would also be converted to formatted html
bsed on the formatting cues inside of the text file, with a date stamp
of when the file was uploaded/added to the directory of blog entries.

Anyways, any resources you guys could point me to in terms of getting
me started and eventually implementing this (and any features or
improvements to my plan) would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

P.S - So far I have paul graham's on lisp book, and have ordered his
common lisp book as well.

From: Edi Weitz
Subject: Re: New to LISP

  <http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/>

--

European Common Lisp Meeting 2006: <http://weitz.de/eclm2006/>

From: Don Lindsay, Jr.
Peter Seibel's book is pretty good. What are especially nice about
Practical Common Lisp (PCL) are the Practicals: Spam Filter, MP3
Database, Shoutcast Server, Web Programming. Good examples of how Lisp
might be useful for software that people use everyday.

Don, Jr.
From: arnuld
> Peter Seibel's book is pretty good. What are especially nice about
> Practical Common Lisp (PCL) are the Practicals: Spam Filter, MP3
> Database, Shoutcast Server, Web Programming. Good examples of how Lisp
> might be useful for software that people use everyday.

oh yes, you are right, and this is what we call *practical-life* and so
is PCL.

great book

--arnuld
From: Pascal Bourguignon
··············@gmail.com writes:
> I'm sure that this has been asked many times before, but I was
> wondering if you could point me to any good resources for learning
> lisp.

There's a lot of pointers on:

http://www.cliki.net/
http://www.cliki.net/Education/
http://www.cliki.net/Online%20Tutorial/

Until real software engineering is developed, the next best practice
is to develop with a dynamic system that has extreme late binding in
all aspects. The first system to really do this in an important way
is Lisp. -- Alan Kay
From: Stefan Scholl
··············@gmail.com wrote:
> I'm sure that this has been asked many times before, but I was
> wondering if you could point me to any good resources for learning
> lisp.

http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?SocialProblemsOfLisp and
http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?SmugLispWeenie

:-)
From: arnuld
 > I'm sure that this has been asked many times before, but I was
> wondering if you could point me to any good resources for learning lisp.

well, i agree with Edi, nothing better than PCL and you can find it @:

 <http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/>

2nd also have a look @ <cliki.net>

i am sure you will find the solution to your problems as these 2
resources point to your specific needs.

me, well, i am just wandering into "Touretzky's book". A great place
for newbies to programming. i know he is not so popular but trust me he
is great. just for fun :-)

--arnuld