From: Emre Sevinc
Subject: 14 March 1960 - Lisp was introduced?
When I

$ calendar

I get

..
Mar 14 	LISP introduced, 1960
..

on my GNU/Linux.

I have googled a bit but couldn't find exactly to which paper, product, event,
etc. that date refers to. I have also asked #lisp but no exact answer:

<pipeline> FZ-mesgul: That would be the interpreted version.  It was proposed
	   in more like, '58.
<pipeline> FZ-mesgul: The paper is '58.  I think the interpreter would be
	   circa 1960.
<rydis> Could it be the AI conference?
<rydis> Publication of the paper in CACM appears to be April 1960.
<pjb> AIM-8 is dated March 13, 1959, so  March 14, 1960, that must be the day
      after the birthday: headhache and heavy tongue.

So, any ideas where that 14 Mar 1960 comes from?

--
Emre Sevinc

eMBA Software Developer         Actively engaged in:
http:www.bilgi.edu.tr           http://ileriseviye.org
http://www.bilgi.edu.tr         http://fazlamesai.net
Cognitive Science Student       http://cazci.com
http://www.cogsci.boun.edu.tr

From: Kaz Kylheku
Subject: Re: 14 March 1960 - Lisp was introduced?
Emre Sevinc wrote:
> So, any ideas where that 14 Mar 1960 comes from?

According to McCarthy's paper, ``[t]he implementation of LISP began in
Fall 1958''.

To answer the question when it was "introduced" depends on what that
means.

Introduced to whom, at what level of completeness?
From: Kaz Kylheku
Emre Sevinc wrote:
> <pjb> AIM-8 is dated March 13, 1959, so  March 14, 1960, that must be the day
>       after the birthday: headhache and heavy tongue.

Also, there is the Lisp 1 Programmer's Manual, which is dated March 1,
1960. Thirteen days before this mystical March 14th.

Maybe they shipped the documentation fist, and then did thirteen days
of final bugfixing.
From: Ken Tilton
Kaz Kylheku wrote:
> Emre Sevinc wrote:
>
>><pjb> AIM-8 is dated March 13, 1959, so  March 14, 1960, that must be the day
>>      after the birthday: headhache and heavy tongue.
>

> Also, there is the Lisp 1 Programmer's Manual, which is dated March 1,
> 1960. Thirteen days before this mystical March 14th.
>
> Maybe they shipped the documentation fist, and then did thirteen days
> of final bugfixing.

This is Lisp. They /wrote it/ in thirteen days. So they could stop
documenting code before writing it.

The August 17, 1962 preface to my Lisp 1.5 Programmer's Manual says
Lisp was "based on his paper "Recursive Functions of Symbolic
Expressions and Their Computation by Machine, Communications of the ACM,
April, 1960.

kt

"And I will know my song well before I start singing."  - Bob Dylan
From: Kaz Kylheku
Emre Sevinc wrote:

> <rydis> Publication of the paper in CACM appears to be April 1960.
> <pjb> AIM-8 is dated March 13, 1959, so  March 14, 1960, that must be the day
>       after the birthday: headhache and heavy tongue.
>

> So, any ideas where that 14 Mar 1960 comes from?

The best idea I can come up with is that if this date has any meaning,
it might be the date when the paper was submitted for publication in
the CACM (thereby "introduced" to the word by the authors).
From: Kaz Kylheku