From: Jonathan Heusser
Subject: Re: Why lisp as a web programming language don't get no (mainstream) love

> So, instead of /only/ flaming me, what advice can you give for doing
> this? Should I be using eval, to execute embedded lisp statements (as
> in ERb-style) or is there another way to do this kind of thing?

CL-EMB + one or two macros enable you to have the best of both worlds:
a "webdesigner" designing your page and the dynamic part written in
common lisp.

I began writing a "web framework" using TBNL/CL-EMB/CL-WHO which solves
exactly that problem (outsourced design + lisp backend). But it was that
easy to do in common lisp that it's even embarrassing to mention it here :).

And besides .. I think the average lisp-webpage does not have a decent
look because the average lisp guy is not really interested in looks.
But there are exceptions of course, e.g.:  www.pkbasstackle.com,
ergoweb.de and the former eboy page.

From: justinhj
Jonathan Heusser wrote:

> > So, instead of /only/ flaming me, what advice can you give for doing
> > this? Should I be using eval, to execute embedded lisp statements (as
> > in ERb-style) or is there another way to do this kind of thing?

I'm not familiar with Ruby on Rails, but is there any technical
difference between how Ruby on Rails vs a particular Lisp Framework
let's you merge your generated data with designed html?

Or is the problem is merely one of the choice of example html?

Justin