From: Paul Viney
Subject: Newbie searching for a GUI
I've been looking at lisp for some time now, and have settled on SBCL
(gentoo linux). I've worked through most of Practical Common Lisp and have
got the stage that I'd actually like to produce GUI components on my
screen.
Luckily, there seem to be loads of possibilities (lambda-gtk, opengl
bindings, sdl bindings, wxcl, etc, etc). Unfortunately, I haven't been able
to peg any of these projects as 'active'. My preference would go to wxcl,
because of the cross-platform capabilities, but getting it all working is
challenging, to say the least, requiring knowledge of asdf-install,
ffi/alien-sb, and porting it from clisp to sbcl.

What I'm looking for is a way for GUI access which works without too much
effort, and I'd much appreciate any tips or pointers anyone may have. I'd
prefer something cross platform, but I'm not too worried if it's not.

Thanks in advance,

Paul Viney

From: Lars Rune Nøstdal
Subject: Re: Newbie searching for a GUI
The GTK-based ones are also supported on at least Windows and Linux as
far as I can tell.

--
mvh,
Lars Rune Nøstdal
From: Bill Atkins
Paul Viney <····@cablon.nl> writes:

> I've been looking at lisp for some time now, and have settled on SBCL
> (gentoo linux). I've worked through most of Practical Common Lisp and have
> got the stage that I'd actually like to produce GUI components on my
> screen.
> Luckily, there seem to be loads of possibilities (lambda-gtk, opengl
> bindings, sdl bindings, wxcl, etc, etc). Unfortunately, I haven't been able
> to peg any of these projects as 'active'. My preference would go to wxcl,
> because of the cross-platform capabilities, but getting it all working is
> challenging, to say the least, requiring knowledge of asdf-install,
> ffi/alien-sb, and porting it from clisp to sbcl.
>
> What I'm looking for is a way for GUI access which works without too much
> effort, and I'd much appreciate any tips or pointers anyone may have. I'd
> prefer something cross platform, but I'm not too worried if it's not.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Paul Viney

Ltk is very easy to use and to set up.

  < http://www.peter-herth.de/ltk/ >

Bill
From: Ken
Bill Atkins wrote:
> Paul Viney <····@cablon.nl> writes:
>

>>I've been looking at lisp for some time now, and have settled on SBCL
>>(gentoo linux). I've worked through most of Practical Common Lisp and have
>>got the stage that I'd actually like to produce GUI components on my
>>screen.
>>Luckily, there seem to be loads of possibilities (lambda-gtk, opengl
>>bindings, sdl bindings, wxcl, etc, etc). Unfortunately, I haven't been able
>>to peg any of these projects as 'active'. My preference would go to wxcl,
>>because of the cross-platform capabilities, but getting it all working is
>>challenging, to say the least, requiring knowledge of asdf-install,
>>ffi/alien-sb, and porting it from clisp to sbcl.
>>
>>What I'm looking for is a way for GUI access which works without too much
>>effort, and I'd much appreciate any tips or pointers anyone may have. I'd
>>prefer something cross platform, but I'm not too worried if it's not.
>>
>>Thanks in advance,
>>
>>Paul Viney
>

> Ltk is very easy to use and to set up.
>
>   < http://www.peter-herth.de/ltk/ >

Yes, and native on Mac OS X, which is why I am using it with Cells in my
(as yet unreleased) new Celtk offering.

Another possibility is Cells-Gtk:

    http://common-lisp.net/project/cells-gtk/

ken
From: Paul Viney
Thanks a lot, both of you. I've managed to get both ltk and cells-gtk
working, and I'm off to spend some time evaluating which I'll use.

Paul
From: KenNULLSPAMTilton
Paul Viney wrote:
> Thanks a lot, both of you. I've managed to get both ltk and cells-gtk
> working, and I'm off to spend some time evaluating which I'll use.

A big difference is that LTk out of the box does not use Cells, as does
Cells-Gtk (as you might imagine). I am just finishing up a new release
of Cells /and/ Celtk, which uses the core of LTk but nothing more.

If your choice comes down to Gtk vs Tk, the Cells issue may not matter
all that much. But if you like the declarative nature of GUI development
with Cells-Gtk, you can do the same with Tk.

I should be ready to send out zips to interested users in a few days, if
I do not just put it all up on common-lisp.net

kt