From: AlexRudyk
Subject: The best book to newbie
Hello

I am looking for Lisp book with exercises for newbie in Lisp. Could you
suggest some books?

Thanks

From: arnuld
Subject: Re: The best book to newbie
> I am looking for Lisp book with exercises for newbie in Lisp. Could you
> suggest some books?
> Thanks

this question have been asked here more than 100 number of times since
the conception of CLL . folks here at CLL  do not get paid for
answering your questions (well, stupid questions, in your case). CLL
people  put their important time out of their very busy lives. do not
ask such questions again, instead do something that shows your
dedication, like i tell you in next paragraph. Question in itself is
not stupid but i say so because you did not even care to search CLL
archives.

search whole CLL archives  and you will get better answers (i mean,
answers customised to  your specific needs). trust me on this because
once, i was stupid.

you need to spend 5-6 hours daily for 2 days to get answers from the
archives and then 5-6 hours for two more days to read them and come up
with your  final answer. this is how i did and that was quite fruitful
as compared to asking a question without doing your home work first.

so do your home work first, show the dedication and if you run into
some trouble that archives can not solve, do come here for help.
everybody will be happy to put some time for you.

hope this helps

-- arnuld
From: Hrvoje Blazevic
arnuld wrote:
>>I am looking for Lisp book with exercises for newbie in Lisp. Could you
>>suggest some books?
>>Thanks
>

> this question have been asked here more than 100 number of times since
> the conception of CLL . folks here at CLL  do not get paid for
> answering your questions (well, stupid questions, in your case).

My, My ...

I wonder where do you get the brass...

If I recall correctly, this *was you* just a month ago.
You should give me a recipe on how do you go from asking stupid
questions to reprimanding others for doing the same in under a month.

And, BTW: Alex' question is pretty much legitimate question, ergo *not*
stupid!

"hope this helps"

-- Hrvoje
From: ·········@gmail.com
Well said Hrvoje!

The community goes nowhere when people are hostile.

As for the original question I find that the better books I've used are
Practical Common Lisp by Peter Siebel and ANSI Common Lisp and OnLisp
by Paul Graham.  There are some online books you can download that are
also pretty good, but they escape me for now.  As someone so rudely
stated, if you do a google search over the lisp archives you'll get
additional suggestions from past messages.

Please ignore the rudeness, however, as rude lisp people (and most
non-lisp people too) are just those with insecurity complexes about
their own abilities.  They probably aren't a particularily
scintillating source of advice.  The few exceptions to this rule won't
hurt you to ignore either.

Good luck!
Ian

From: arnuld
> My, My ...
> I wonder where do you get the brass...

i did not get the brass, instead i wanted to tell *Alex* that if he
needs to learn something then he has to give up hand-holding, like i
was expectingfrom last 8 months and was fooled to nowhere because of my
own foolishness  of *looking for handholding*.

I respect people like Uncle John McCarthy  who give their hard-work for
free to all the world (exactly opposite to bill gates). I also admire
CLL for its great-folks. (CLL is a the place where i learned a lot
(from last 2 months IIRC) as compared to 3 years of  graduation. i
respect CLL-folks. all i said to Alex was because i did not want that
his fufture (next 6 months) should ruin (like me who spoiled his 6
months) when i know i can help him.

> If I recall correctly, this *was you* just a month ago.

YES, you are right and i got my best,specific answer customised to my
needs when someone (i did not temember who) said harshly exactly same
at some very old archive.
I followd his harsh words because he had some logic and i came to know
that  that was for my own good.

my english is not so good so i will look in dictionary for the meaning
of *reprimanding*.

> You should give me a recipe on how do you go from asking stupid
>questions to reprimanding others for doing the same in under a month.

that is not *a month*, there are 10 months behind me and i learned
something about things we call programming and Hackerdom, it is not
programming, it is *life* itself and Hackerdom is not a word it is
something alive. i can feel it

> And, BTW: Alex' question is pretty much legitimate question, ergo *not* stupid!

i did not mean question is stupid but  i meant question is partial ,
full question  is:

--
Hello

I am looking for Lisp book with exercises for newbie in Lisp. Could you
suggest some books?

and also i did not do my home work.

Thanks

-------

i am from a lower middle class family, financially broke and from a
country like India where Government does not even care if more than 65
farmers suicide (my english is weak you know) in a year because they
did not get water for their crops (as of 2006 80% of Indian farmers
still look upon the sky for water) Police does not even care if someone
burns himself alive because he did not have money to buy food so that
he can eat (because of policies of Indian Government and even then
govenment officials ask for bribe (of 25, 000 INR ) if i want to join
India Army. (that happened with me)

 so may be that *harshness* is wired into me because of the culture
around me. but i did not intend to be harsh, i inteded to help.

i never got hostile in my entire life only because it is useless. In an
argument or a war there are loosers on both sides. so i neither argue
nor i go hostile . In the end, i also told Alex something on *searching
archives*. that was all i wanted to tell him because that is the best
thing than can happen to a newbie (of course after some hard-work)

-- arnuld
From: KenNULLSPAMTilton
arnuld wrote:
>>My, My ...
>>I wonder where do you get the brass...
>

> i did not get the brass, instead i wanted to tell *Alex* that if he
> needs to learn something then he has to give up hand-holding, like i
> was expectingfrom last 8 months and was fooled to nowhere because of my
> own foolishness  of *looking for handholding*.

Too bad. While demonstrating learning (how to learn get help on an NG) a
fresh mistake has been made, viz, misrepresenting an entire population
of comp.lang.lisp users. The pattern (well, I do not actually recall the
original mistake, but trusting what was written...) the pattern is one
of a too-quick trigger.

The reality is that cll greatly enjoys having to step carefully over all
the Lisp rugrats crawling around, especially in the past few months. The
class of 2005-2006 will go down in history as the Lisp "baby boom".

kenneth
From: arnuld
> Too bad. While demonstrating learning (how to learn get help on an NG) a
> fresh mistake has been made, viz, misrepresenting an entire population
> ..................................The reality is that cll greatly enjoys having to step carefully over > > all the Lisp rugrats crawling around, especially in the past few months. The
> class of 2005-2006 will go down in history as the Lisp "baby boom".

well kenneth. your so analytical and intelligent. thanks for posting
your thoughts. i appreciate your talent.

-- arnuld
From: Anon
AlexRudyk wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am looking for Lisp book with exercises for newbie in Lisp. Could you
> suggest some books?
>
> Thanks

I found this one to be a very nice book.  It includes exercises.

"Common Lisp: A Gentle Introduction to Symbolic Computation"

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~dst/LispBook/index.html
From: ·······@iwebworks.com
Hi Anon,
Not my original post, but thanks for this, from a newbie!

Thanks,
Dan
From: Simon Brooke
in message <························@z34g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
AlexRudyk (······@techdatasolutions.com') wrote:

> Hello
>
> I am looking for Lisp book with exercises for newbie in Lisp. Could you
> suggest some books?

Related question. Many years ago, when I was teaching Lisp to undergrads,
there was a lovely little - and I do mean 'little', not something
suitable for beating said undergraduates over the head with - book with
a pink cover and illustrations of elephants, which taught basic Lisp
concepts in very simply, charmingly presented exercises. Does anyone
else remember this book and if so, could they remind me of the title?

It was an excellent first introduction to Lisp.

--
·····@jasmine.org.uk (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

                        ;; An enamorata is for life, not just for weekends.
From: Pascal Bourguignon
Simon Brooke <·····@jasmine.org.uk> writes:

> in message <························@z34g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
> AlexRudyk (······@techdatasolutions.com') wrote:
>
>> Hello
>>
>> I am looking for Lisp book with exercises for newbie in Lisp. Could you
>> suggest some books?
>
> Related question. Many years ago, when I was teaching Lisp to undergrads,
> there was a lovely little - and I do mean 'little', not something
> suitable for beating said undergraduates over the head with - book with
> a pink cover and illustrations of elephants, which taught basic Lisp
> concepts in very simply, charmingly presented exercises. Does anyone
> else remember this book and if so, could they remind me of the title?
>
> It was an excellent first introduction to Lisp.

The Little Lisper.

Nowadays, there's also a scheme version: The Little Schemer.

"Remember, Information is not knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom;
Wisdom is not truth; Truth is not beauty; Beauty is not love;
Love is not music; Music is the best." -- Frank Zappa
From: Eric Lavigne
> >> Hello
> >>
> >> I am looking for Lisp book with exercises for newbie in Lisp. Could you
> >> suggest some books?
> >
> > Related question. Many years ago, when I was teaching Lisp to undergrads,
> > there was a lovely little - and I do mean 'little', not something
> > suitable for beating said undergraduates over the head with - book with
> > a pink cover and illustrations of elephants, which taught basic Lisp
> > concepts in very simply, charmingly presented exercises. Does anyone
> > else remember this book and if so, could they remind me of the title?
> >
> > It was an excellent first introduction to Lisp.
>
> The Little Lisper.
>
> Nowadays, there's also a scheme version: The Little Schemer.

The Little Lisper is also Scheme book. I don't know what is different
about The Little Schemer.

The Little Lisper was my first book for learning Common Lisp (basics of
Common Lisp and Scheme aren't so different, so this actually worked
okay). The first half was interesting and light reading. Going in to
the second half I got very bored by its approach to deep recursion, but
I would recommend this book as a warm-up to someone who finds the other
Lisp books too difficult.

Another problem with the Little Lisper is that it gave me the
impression that everything in Lisp had to be done with lists and
recursion. The first program I wrote in Common Lisp was for numerical
solution of a differential equation, and I was doing Jacobi iteration
over arrays without actually using arrays or iteration. It was fun
figuring out how to do that, but it didn't make Lisp seem very
practical.
From: Simon Brooke
in message <··············@thalassa.informatimago.com>, Pascal
Bourguignon (·······@informatimago.com') wrote:

> Simon Brooke <·····@jasmine.org.uk> writes:
>
>> in message <························@z34g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
>> AlexRudyk (······@techdatasolutions.com') wrote:
>>
>>> Hello
>>>
>>> I am looking for Lisp book with exercises for newbie in Lisp. Could
>>> you suggest some books?
>>
>> Related question. Many years ago, when I was teaching Lisp to
>> undergrads, there was a lovely little - and I do mean 'little', not
>> something suitable for beating said undergraduates over the head with
>> - book with a pink cover and illustrations of elephants, which taught
>> basic Lisp concepts in very simply, charmingly presented exercises.
>> Does anyone else remember this book and if so, could they remind me of
>> the title?
>>
>> It was an excellent first introduction to Lisp.
>
> The Little Lisper.

That's the one, thank you.

If the OP could get hold of a copy (it seems to be out of print, sadly),
that would be a great place to start. Yes, I /know/ it's small and
simple. This is not a bad thing.

--
·····@jasmine.org.uk (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/
        ;; "If I were a Microsoft Public Relations person, I would probably
From: Jason
Simon Brooke wrote:
> in message <··············@thalassa.informatimago.com>, Pascal
> Bourguignon (·······@informatimago.com') wrote:
>
> > Simon Brooke <·····@jasmine.org.uk> writes:
> >
> >> in message <························@z34g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,

> >> Related question. Many years ago, when I was teaching Lisp to
> >> undergrads, there was a lovely little - and I do mean 'little', not
> >> something suitable for beating said undergraduates over the head with
> >> - book with a pink cover and illustrations of elephants, which taught
> >> basic Lisp concepts in very simply, charmingly presented exercises.
> >> Does anyone else remember this book and if so, could they remind me of
> >> the title?
> >>
> >> It was an excellent first introduction to Lisp.
> >
> > The Little Lisper.
>
> That's the one, thank you.
>
> If the OP could get hold of a copy (it seems to be out of print, sadly),
> that would be a great place to start. Yes, I /know/ it's small and
> simple. This is not a bad thing.

I just went to amazon, and they have "The Little Schemer." It seems the
book switched languages! I bought it, so I'll give a review (from a
noob point of view) when it arrives. :)

Now I'll need to find a way to embed Guile in one of the projects here
at work....

-Jason
From: Peter Wright
Jason <·······@gmail.com> wrote:
> Simon Brooke wrote:
> > Pascal Bourguignon (·······@informatimago.com') wrote:

They do have a lot of elephants. Strange but cute.

> > > The Little Lisper.
> >
> > That's the one, thank you.
> >
> > If the OP could get hold of a copy (it seems to be out of print,
> > sadly), that would be a great place to start. Yes, I /know/ it's
> > small and simple. This is not a bad thing.

> I just went to amazon, and they have "The Little Schemer." It seems
> the book switched languages!

"Little Schemer" and "Little Lisper" are essentially the same book -
it's just that the name changed from the third (Lisper) to the fourth
(Schemer) editions. The "Lisper" in the first book's title referred to
Lisp in the generic sense, not the dialect-specific sense. The series
all deal with Scheme-style Lisp, but include CL-specific notes when
appropriate (eg. when dealing with continuations or LETREC as opposed
to LABELS).

I just recently suffered through this name change confusion when I
ordered "Little Lisper" and "Seasoned Schemer" (second in the series)
from a local technical bookshop. Unfortunately they weren't quite
clever enough to realise the 3rd edition of LL was out of print, and
managed to find a Print-On-Demand outfit that produced a copy for me.

I received "Seasoned Schemer" a couple of weeks before the POD "Little
Lisper" arrived, so I was kind of disappointed when the LL arrived and
was of significantly lower quality than SS - I suspect it was mostly a
bad print job, but I felt the typesetting in general was below par.
So I returned it and ordered the "Little Schemer" instead. Much
better - it actually matches the look/feel of SS, for a start. Looks
much nicer in my bookcase :).

The content differences between LL and LS seemed fairly minor, no more
than you'd expect between the 3rd and 4th editions of a book.

> I bought it, so I'll give a review (from a noob point of view) when
> it arrives. :)

I've also got the more recent third book in the series - "The Reasoned
Schemer". That one's quite a lot weirder.

> Now I'll need to find a way to embed Guile in one of the projects
> here at work....

Just make sure you cackle evilly while you're doing it. :)

> -Jason

Pete.
--
http://flooble.net/blog
"Nothing ever goes missing that they don't look at me, ever since that
From: Lars Brinkhoff
Peter Wright <····@flooble.net> writes:
> I've also got the more recent third book in the series - "The
> Reasoned Schemer".  That one's quite a lot weirder.

Please elaborate!  What makes it weirder?
From: Peter Wright
Lars Brinkhoff <·········@nocrew.org> wrote:
> Peter Wright <····@flooble.net> writes:
> > I've also got the more recent third book in the series - "The
> > Reasoned Schemer".  That one's quite a lot weirder.
>
> Please elaborate!  What makes it weirder?

Well, it's ... er... just weirder... :)

Seriously though, as far as I've read (first chapter and a bit) it's
focussed on turning Scheme into a warped kind of Prolog (as I believe
Paul Graham does with CL in "On Lisp") - and the problems seem very
much lispy-logic programming kind of stuff. That by itself should be
fine, but the way they approach it just feels weird - I haven't been
able to map it onto my distant memories of Prolog at uni.

The bit that most disturbs me is that they use unusual typesetting for
Scheme symbols - they use superscripts and non-ASCII symbols like the
three-line version of =.

It'll probably become less weird when I get onto going through the
book _properly_ (as I'm currently trying to do with LS and SS), but
even so I think it'll be tricky. With Little/Seasoned Schemer, you can
see the direct applicability to "real" Scheme (and, to a lesser
extent, CL) programming. I haven't been able to see a way I can really
use their Prolog-Scheme mutant in "real" programming as yet.

Pete.
--
http://flooble.net/blog
"You can fit the end of a wire coathanger into an electrical outlet,
From: Jason
AlexRudyk wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am looking for Lisp book with exercises for newbie in Lisp. Could you
> suggest some books?
>
> Thanks

I'm working through "ANSI Common Lisp" by Graham. The book flows pretty
well, but there are several places where a function or concept is used
in an example, yet not explained until 20-30 pages later. This causes
some confusion, but if you read the book like a LISP program (IE, read
it recursively. :) ) then this is not such a big issue.

The exercises are quite challenging, but I think overall the book could
use a good once over by a patient editor. All in all I give a thumbs
up, so if you can get a a copy you will not be disappointed.

-Jason