From: Simon Brooke
Subject: Debian/CMU CL: REQUIRE-ing packages
This is probably so obvious I'm going to shoot myself...

[root]-> apt-get install cmucl cl-xmls ;; and other stuff
[root]-> logout
[simon]-> lisp
CMU Common Lisp CVS 19c 19c-release + minimal debian patches (19C),
running on gododdin
With core: /usr/lib/cmucl/lisp.core
Dumped on: Wed, 2006-03-01 13:25:03Z on gododdin
type (help) for help, (quit) to exit, and (demo) to see the demos

Loaded subsystems:
    Python 1.1, target Intel x86
    CLOS based on Gerd's PCL 2004/04/14 03:32:47

* (require "xmls")

Error in function REQUIRE:  Don't know how to load xmls
   [Condition of type SIMPLE-ERROR]

What do I need to do by way of configuration to allow cmucl to find LISP
packages packaged as Debian packages? I can require that package by
using:

* (require "xmls" "/usr/share/common-lisp/source/xmls/xmls.lisp")

; Compiling LAMBDA (.PV-CELL. .NEXT-METHOD-CALL. X):
; Compiling Top-Level Form:
NIL

...but should I have to pass that second argument, and if so how do I
make my code portable to machines which store their packages somewhere
else?

--
·····@jasmine.org.uk (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

                ;; When all else fails, read the distractions.

From: ·········@gmail.com
Subject: Re: Debian/CMU CL: REQUIRE-ing packages
Debian provides the common-lisp-controller package to manage all of the
compiling and loading of packages and dependencies for most
Debian-packaged Common Lisp libraries.  So you need this:

  (clc:clc-require :xmls)
From: Simon Brooke
in message <·······················@p10g2000cwp.googlegroups.com>,
·········@gmail.com (··········@gmail.com') wrote:

> Debian provides the common-lisp-controller package to manage all of the
> compiling and loading of packages and dependencies for most
> Debian-packaged Common Lisp libraries.  So you need this:
>
>   (clc:clc-require :xmls)

Thanks.

How portable is this? Is it Debian-only?

--
·····@jasmine.org.uk (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

        my other car is #<Subr-Car: #5d480>
                                ;; This joke is not funny in emacs.
From: ·········@gmail.com
As far as I know, yes, it's Debian only, though Debian-derivatives such
as Ubuntu might use it as well.

Outside of a Debian system you'd use asdf-install to manage all the
dependencies and such; the advantage of using common-lisp-controller is
that it leaves the dependencies and (more importantly, IMHO) library
upgrades in the hands of Debian's packaging system.
From: Simon Brooke
in message <························@v46g2000cwv.googlegroups.com>,
·········@gmail.com (··········@gmail.com') wrote:

> As far as I know, yes, it's Debian only, though Debian-derivatives such
> as Ubuntu might use it as well.
>
> Outside of a Debian system you'd use asdf-install to manage all the
> dependencies and such; the advantage of using common-lisp-controller is
> that it leaves the dependencies and (more importantly, IMHO) library
> upgrades in the hands of Debian's packaging system.

Well, I'm a great fan of Debian packaging, so I'll accept that as a
benefit!

--
·····@jasmine.org.uk (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

                                        ;; part time troll.
From: Edi Weitz
On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 17:13:13 +0000, Simon Brooke <·····@jasmine.org.uk> wrote:

> How portable is this? Is it Debian-only?

Might also work on Gentoo.  I /think/ they copied the clc part from
Debian.

--

European Common Lisp Meeting 2006: <http://weitz.de/eclm2006/>

From: Stefan Kamphausen
Edi Weitz <········@agharta.de> writes:

>> How portable is this? Is it Debian-only?
>
> Might also work on Gentoo.  I /think/ they copied the clc part from
> Debian.

They did...

shell>emerge -s lisp-controller
Searching...
[ Results for search key : lisp-controller ]
[ Applications found : 1 ]

*  dev-lisp/common-lisp-controller
      Latest version available: 4.27
      Latest version installed: 4.27
      Size of downloaded files: 26 kB
      Homepage:    http://packages.debian.org/unstable/devel/
                   common-lisp-controller.html
      License:     LLGPL-2.1

Gentoo has so far been a great lisp environment for me.  Just a few
packages were outdated and I installed them manually.

You can find a list of lisp related packages on
http://packages.gentoo.org/packages/?category=dev-lisp

Best,
Stefan
--
Stefan Kamphausen --- http://www.skamphausen.de
a blessed +42 regexp of confusion (weapon in hand)
From: Ivan Boldyrev
On 9401 day of my life Edi Weitz wrote:
>> How portable is this? Is it Debian-only?
>
> Might also work on Gentoo.  I /think/ they copied the clc part from
> Debian.

Yes, it works.  But I prefer ASDF :)

--
Ivan Boldyrev