From: Ken Tilton
Subject: [OT] Amsterdam? Aug 23? 6am to 6pm?
Fascinating young lady friend, true adventurer and explorer, needs ideas
  for twelve hour layover in Amsterdam. Taking break from Peace Corps
work in Africa. Thoughts?

kenny

From: ········@gmail.com
Subject: Re: Amsterdam? Aug 23? 6am to 6pm?
Ken Tilton wrote:
> Fascinating young lady friend, true adventurer and explorer, needs ideas
>   for twelve hour layover in Amsterdam. Taking break from Peace Corps
> work in Africa. Thoughts?

The Heineken Experience. You get two free beers with the price of
admission and can send a video e-card to comp.lang.lisp

Nick

From: Yves Vandriessche
········@gmail.com wrote:
> Ken Tilton wrote:
>> Fascinating young lady friend, true adventurer and explorer, needs ideas
>>   for twelve hour layover in Amsterdam. Taking break from Peace Corps
>> work in Africa. Thoughts?
>
> The Heineken Experience. You get two free beers with the price of
> admission and can send a video e-card to comp.lang.lisp
>
> Nick

Train ride to Brussels and back for some _real_ beer.
I'm sure Costanza would agree.

From: Harald Hanche-Olsen
Subject: Re: [OT] Amsterdam? Aug 23? 6am to 6pm?
+ Ken Tilton <·········@gmail.com>:

| Fascinating young lady friend, true adventurer and explorer, needs
| ideas for twelve hour layover in Amsterdam. Taking break from Peace
| Corps work in Africa. Thoughts?

If she's at all interested in art, the Rijksmuseum.

  -- Bertrand Russell
From: Ari  Johnson
Ken Tilton wrote:
> Fascinating young lady friend, true adventurer and explorer, needs ideas
>   for twelve hour layover in Amsterdam. Taking break from Peace Corps
> work in Africa. Thoughts?

Anne Frank House.
From: Ken Tilton
Ari Johnson wrote:
> Ken Tilton wrote:
>
>>Fascinating young lady friend, true adventurer and explorer, needs ideas
>>  for twelve hour layover in Amsterdam. Taking break from Peace Corps
>>work in Africa. Thoughts?
>

> Anne Frank House.

Ah, I knew there was something rattling around in the back of my mind. Thx.

kenny

From: Patrick May
Ken Tilton <·········@gmail.com> writes:
> Fascinating young lady friend, true adventurer and explorer, needs
> ideas for twelve hour layover in Amsterdam. Taking break from Peace
> Corps work in Africa. Thoughts?

     Rijksmuseum.

Regards,

Patrick

S P Engineering, Inc.  | The experts in large scale distributed OO
          ···@spe.com  | (C++, Java, Common Lisp, Jini, middleware, SOA)
From: Ties  Stuij
Ken Tilton wrote:
> Fascinating young lady friend, true adventurer and explorer, needs ideas
>   for twelve hour layover in Amsterdam. Taking break from Peace Corps
> work in Africa. Thoughts?

Well, explorer or not, i wouldn't box her up in a museum if the weather
is right. The best way to enjoy Amsterdam is to get lost, because it's
a very pretty town. She should get the train from Schiphol (i presume
that's where she lands if she doesn't fly with scammers like Ryanair)
to Amsterdam Central. Seven minutes away. Then she should proceed to
the main entrance and after that she should just keep on walking
straight into the center. After ten minutes she should be on a big
square, de Dam, with a number of roads to choose one. Any one of them
is a winner. Walk on untill the houses aren't pretty anymore and get on
the subway or a trolly type thing (tram?) to the Vondelpark (and sit
outside at a table of a very cosy restaurant), Museumplein,
Leidseplein, Albert Kuyp market, the Jordaan, or the Begijnhof for
example. ( http://www.amsterdam.info/sights/ ). Get lost again, loop...
There's always an easy way back to the Central station.

Greets,
Ties
From: Ken Tilton
Ties Stuij wrote:
> Ken Tilton wrote:
>
>>Fascinating young lady friend, true adventurer and explorer, needs ideas
>>  for twelve hour layover in Amsterdam. Taking break from Peace Corps
>>work in Africa. Thoughts?
>>

> Well, explorer or not, i wouldn't box her up in a museum if the weather
> is right. The best way to enjoy Amsterdam is to get lost,

Yeah, that's her style. I forwarded her your note. I had already found
the VondelPark on-line, but the specific recommendation helps. I also
suggested the Anne Frank house and Red Light district, and told her to
bring back some hydro and a hookah. :)

Thx, kenny