From: ·········@gmail.com
Subject: Is there a tutorial for debugging in lisp? What tools are available?
I'd like to know how can you do debug things in Lisp such as executing
code line by line (well, sexp by sexp) , tracking variables,
step-in/over/out and the like.

These features are all available for other language IDEs such as Java
and they are great. I have read that Lisp's debugging facilities set it
apart from inferior languages but other than the superb thing that is
the REPL I don't know what they mean.

Any links to tutorials/resources on this subject?

From: Luís Oliveira
·········@gmail.com writes:
> Any links to tutorials/resources on this subject?

Watch the video linked from this blog post for an overview:
http://bc.tech.coop/blog/050728.html

--
Luís Oliveira
luismbo (@) gmail (.) com
From: justinhj
Luís Oliveira wrote:
> ·········@gmail.com writes:
> > Any links to tutorials/resources on this subject?
>
> Watch the video linked from this blog post for an overview:
> http://bc.tech.coop/blog/050728.html

Thanks for reminding about that. I didn't have time to watch it when
Bill first put it on his pages and now I did, it's a fantastic learning
experience.

I think the beginning may well scare beginners a bit, because not
everybody is going to want to run lisp on a different machine and that
added some complexity. It's worth pointing out that people that
download lispbox should be able to do all that stuff without worrying
about ssh tunnelling etc.

Justin
From: Tayssir John Gabbour
·········@gmail.com wrote:
> I'd like to know how can you do debug things in Lisp such as executing
> code line by line (well, sexp by sexp) , tracking variables,
> step-in/over/out and the like.
>
> These features are all available for other language IDEs such as Java
> and they are great. I have read that Lisp's debugging facilities set it
> apart from inferior languages but other than the superb thing that is
> the REPL I don't know what they mean.
>
> Any links to tutorials/resources on this subject?

Which implementation are you using? For example, Lispworks has a
debugger within its IDE which seems similar to common debuggers for
other languages, where you can set breakpoints in the normal way... You
click the red dot and then the place where you want the debugger to
break; do various Step commands, and you can even set a "conditional
breakpoint" while you're stepping, so the debugger won't go to that
breakpoint again unless some expression is true.

I don't normally use debuggers, so I'm of no help with other
environments like Slime...

Tayssir
From: Tayssir John Gabbour
> ·········@gmail.com wrote:
> > I'd like to know how can you do debug things in Lisp such as executing
> > code line by line (well, sexp by sexp) , tracking variables,
> > step-in/over/out and the like.
> >
> > These features are all available for other language IDEs such as Java
> > and they are great. I have read that Lisp's debugging facilities set it
> > apart from inferior languages but other than the superb thing that is
> > the REPL I don't know what they mean.
> >
> > Any links to tutorials/resources on this subject?

Oh yeah, deleting old fasls (the compiled files) seems to unfortunately
be useful at times. Like in Java. Guess that'll be a religious habit of
mine again...

Tayssir
From: John Thingstad
On Mon, 26 Jun 2006 17:23:10 +0200, Tayssir John Gabbour
<···········@yahoo.com> wrote:

> ·········@gmail.com wrote:
>> I'd like to know how can you do debug things in Lisp such as executing
>> code line by line (well, sexp by sexp) , tracking variables,
>> step-in/over/out and the like.
>>
>> These features are all available for other language IDEs such as Java
>> and they are great. I have read that Lisp's debugging facilities set it
>> apart from inferior languages but other than the superb thing that is
>> the REPL I don't know what they mean.
>>
>> Any links to tutorials/resources on this subject?
>
> Which implementation are you using? For example, Lispworks has a
> debugger within its IDE which seems similar to common debuggers for
> other languages, where you can set breakpoints in the normal way... You
> click the red dot and then the place where you want the debugger to
> break; do various Step commands, and you can even set a "conditional
> breakpoint" while you're stepping, so the debugger won't go to that
> breakpoint again unless some expression is true.
>
> I don't normally use debuggers, so I'm of no help with other
> environments like Slime...
>

> Tayssir

Well I could add that you can just add a (break)
to break at a given point.
What options you have to investigate the call stack are implementation
dependent.

From: Paolo Amoroso
·········@gmail.com writes:

> I'd like to know how can you do debug things in Lisp such as executing
> code line by line (well, sexp by sexp) , tracking variables,
> step-in/over/out and the like.

Note that, in Lisp, virtually the whole language is also available as
a debugging tool besides the command set of a particular debugger.

Paolo
--
Why Lisp? http://wiki.alu.org/RtL%20Highlight%20Film
The Common Lisp Directory: http://www.cl-user.net
From: OMouse
Paolo Amoroso wrote:
> ·········@gmail.com writes:
>
> > I'd like to know how can you do debug things in Lisp such as executing
> > code line by line (well, sexp by sexp) , tracking variables,
> > step-in/over/out and the like.
>
> Note that, in Lisp, virtually the whole language is also available as
> a debugging tool besides the command set of a particular debugger.

So, to clarify...are the symbols for debugging commands listed in the
Common Lisp hyperspec? Or are the function/macro names different for
different implementations of Common Lisp?

Rudolf
From: Paolo Amoroso
"OMouse" <······@gmail.com> writes:

> So, to clarify...are the symbols for debugging commands listed in the
> Common Lisp hyperspec? Or are the function/macro names different for

The HyperSpec does include some debugging facilities such as BREAK,
STEP and TRACE.

Paolo
From: ···············@yahoo.com
> The HyperSpec does include some debugging facilities such as BREAK,
> STEP and TRACE.

But once you are stopped at a breakpoint, the commands you give depend
on the implementation.
From: ·············@specastro.com
The best tutorial on debugging is the video which you've indicated
you've already seen.  However, there are also a couple of additional
resources that are rather hard to find.

This link is c.l.l posting from a couple of years.  It also uses slime
and is unique in that it goes into more of the sophisticated error
handling that you can do in Lisp:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.lisp/msg/8317e7376a9571c8?&hl=en&q=jupiter+group%3Acomp.lang.lisp

This link, although specific to Allegro and it's emacs interface is
also good because it uses an extended example to go through the thought
processes of how you debug a problem and how you use the tools in Lisp
to investigate the problem:

http://www.gia.ist.utl.pt/~aml/debugging-allegro.ps

I hope these help.

Glenn