From: Tim Johnson
Subject: Open parens and whitespace
Hi:

I use emacs for programming. I am *slowly* moving towards doing some
programing in CL, or some other "lisp-engineered" programming language.

I like to use elisp to make emacs work for me, so I have a simple
question:

Under what circumstances (if any) is it appropriate to have a whitespace
following an opening parens?

Thanks
tim

--
Tim Johnson <···@johnsons-web.com>

From: Tel A.
Subject: Re: Open parens and whitespace
I've never seen any significant whitespace following an open paren. I
would doubt it's anyone's practice, really.

An open paren in a code list signifies that the following symbol is a
function and in data it just signifies that the following elements
connotate a list. I can't think of a good reason to use whitespace in
either of these situations.

If you're going to be using emacs to write common lisp (or even scheme)
code, I'd highly suggest using slime. Any convention that slime
facilitates by default can probably be considered canon for CL in
general.
From: Pascal Bourguignon
"Tel A." <············@gmail.com> writes:

> I've never seen any significant whitespace following an open paren. I
> would doubt it's anyone's practice, really.
>
> An open paren in a code list signifies that the following symbol is a
> function and in data it just signifies that the following elements
> connotate a list. I can't think of a good reason to use whitespace in
> either of these situations.

     (princ #\( output)

> If you're going to be using emacs to write common lisp (or even scheme)
> code, I'd highly suggest using slime. Any convention that slime
> facilitates by default can probably be considered canon for CL in
> general.

HEALTH WARNING: Care should be taken when lifting this product,
since its mass, and thus its weight, is dependent on its velocity
relative to the user.
From: Tel A.
Pascal Bourguignon wrote:

>      (princ #\( output)

Personally, I'd go a long way to avoid that

#+cmu
(progn
   (pushnew '("Open-Paren" . #\() lisp::char-name-alist)
   (pushnew '("Close-Paren" . #\)) lisp::char-name-alist))

CL-USER> #\Open-Paren
#\(
CL-USER> #\Close-Paren
#\)