From: ··········@gmail.com
Subject: Which GTK+ Bindings Should I Use?
I am looking to write simple little desktop apps for myself.

I go here: http://www.cliki.net/GTK%20binding

and I see 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ! sets of GTK+ bindings and I have no clue
which one to use.  I like to use my utility applications for years.

What do you guys and gals use?

From: Robert Uhl
Subject: Re: Which GTK+ Bindings Should I Use?
···········@gmail.com" <··········@gmail.com> writes:

> I am looking to write simple little desktop apps for myself.
>
> I go here: http://www.cliki.net/GTK%20binding
>
> and I see 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ! sets of GTK+ bindings and I have no clue
> which one to use.  I like to use my utility applications for years.
>
> What do you guys and gals use?

I too would be interested in a good answer to this.  It appears that
they're all experimental, or require weird workarounds, or
what-have-you.  I've been thinking of just rolling my own with SBCL's
CFFI, but that's just _ugly_.  Hope you get an answer.

Economists are still trying to figure out why the girls with the least
principle draw the most interest.
From: Yves Vandriessche
Robert Uhl wrote:
> ···········@gmail.com" <··········@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I am looking to write simple little desktop apps for myself.
>>
>> I go here: http://www.cliki.net/GTK%20binding
>>
>> and I see 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ! sets of GTK+ bindings and I have no clue
>> which one to use.  I like to use my utility applications for years.
>>
>> What do you guys and gals use?
>
> I too would be interested in a good answer to this.  It appears that
> they're all experimental, or require weird workarounds, or
> what-have-you.  I've been thinking of just rolling my own with SBCL's
> CFFI, but that's just _ugly_.  Hope you get an answer.

Same here, I'm trying out cells-gtk right now, but it has some
unfinished edges left and no documentation.  At least (test-gtk) looks
sexy on ubuntu dapper ;)
From: Dave Cook
On 2006-06-23, Robert Uhl <·········@NOSPAMgmail.com> wrote:

> I too would be interested in a good answer to this.  It appears that
> they're all experimental, or require weird workarounds, or
> what-have-you.  I've been thinking of just rolling my own with SBCL's
> CFFI, but that's just _ugly_.  Hope you get an answer.

clg was fairly easy to get running on sbcl, and I barely know what I'm
doing ;) .

Dave Cook
From: Pedro Kröger
··········@gmail.com wrote:

> and I see 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ! sets of GTK+ bindings and I have no clue
> which one to use.  I like to use my utility applications for years.

> What do you guys and gals use?

I recommed clg (http://www.cliki.net/clg). It's complete and lispy.

Pedro Kroger
From: ··········@gmail.com
Pedro Kröger wrote:
> ··········@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > and I see 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ! sets of GTK+ bindings and I have no clue
> > which one to use.  I like to use my utility applications for years.
>
> > What do you guys and gals use?
>
> I recommed clg (http://www.cliki.net/clg). It's complete and lispy.
>
> Pedro Kroger

Have you used it before?  Do you know if it is maintained?
From: Pedro Kröger
··········@gmail.com wrote:

> Have you used it before?  Do you know if it is maintained?

yes, I have used it. It is maintained. Espen does a very nice job
maintaining it, and answering email questions on the mailing list as
well. It's current state it's _much_ more advanced than it looks like.
(I mean, no web page or extensive documentation). But more users may
help to get these things done.

Pedro Kröger
From: ··········@gmail.com
Pedro Kröger wrote:
> ··········@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > Have you used it before?  Do you know if it is maintained?
>
> yes, I have used it. It is maintained. Espen does a very nice job
> maintaining it, and answering email questions on the mailing list as
> well. It's current state it's _much_ more advanced than it looks like.
> (I mean, no web page or extensive documentation). But more users may
> help to get these things done.
>
> Pedro Kröger

Thanks.  I will download and try this -> http://www.cliki.net/clg

I am surpised that the gnome.org site does not mention this as a
binding.  I imagine that more people would use it if it was declared
official, or at least a well-supported binding.

Kenny - I looked at Cells in the past and it looks great.  I plan on
using it in the future.

Chris Parker
From: Yves Vandriessche
··········@gmail.com wrote:
> Pedro Kr�ger wrote:
>> ··········@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>> Have you used it before?  Do you know if it is maintained?
>> yes, I have used it. It is maintained. Espen does a very nice job
>> maintaining it, and answering email questions on the mailing list as
>> well. It's current state it's _much_ more advanced than it looks like.
>> (I mean, no web page or extensive documentation). But more users may
>> help to get these things done.
>>
>> Pedro Kr�ger
>
> Thanks.  I will download and try this -> http://www.cliki.net/clg
>
> I am surpised that the gnome.org site does not mention this as a
> binding.  I imagine that more people would use it if it was declared
> official, or at least a well-supported binding.
>
> Kenny - I looked at Cells in the past and it looks great.  I plan on
> using it in the future.
>
> Chris Parker

I'm trying it out too, but the lack of any documentation makes it really
hard to do anything advanced.
For example I'm fiddling around with gdk:drawable.  Like in the GTK+
documentation gdk:draw-drawable needs a gc object, I have no clue how to
get this one.
The inspect functionality in emacs+slime is godsent though :)
From: Robert Uhl
"Pedro Kröger" <············@gmail.com> writes:

> I recommed clg (http://www.cliki.net/clg). It's complete and lispy.

I took a look at it: hellow world ran, but the more complete examples
didn't because window-title doesn't seem to be defined.  This is in SBCL
0.9.13, but an uneducated glance around the code makes it appear that no
binding is ever set up for window-title...

Of course the US Constitution isn't perfect; but it's a lot better than
what we have now.                                       --Eric Sheppard
From: Ken Tilton
··········@gmail.com wrote:
> I am looking to write simple little desktop apps for myself.
>
> I go here: http://www.cliki.net/GTK%20binding
>
> and I see 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ! sets of GTK+ bindings and I have no clue
> which one to use.  I like to use my utility applications for years.
>
> What do you guys and gals use?

Celtk. Hmm, maybe I better do some screen shots. This is Tcl/Tk (so you
get Aqua on OS X) and Togl if you want OpenGL. See link in sig. Support
on Cells-devel mailing list. Warnings: new. no doc. two known users. :)

kt

From: Ken Tilton
Ken Tilton wrote:

> ··········@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> I am looking to write simple little desktop apps for myself.
>>
>> I go here: http://www.cliki.net/GTK%20binding
>>
>> and I see 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ! sets of GTK+ bindings and I have no clue
>> which one to use.  I like to use my utility applications for years.
>>
>> What do you guys and gals use?
>>

> Celtk. Hmm, maybe I better do some screen shots. This is Tcl/Tk (so you
> get Aqua on OS X) and Togl if you want OpenGL. See link in sig. Support
> on Cells-devel mailing list. Warnings: new. no doc. two known users. :)

I should have mentioned the obvious advantage that Celtk is under active
and energetic development. And your doc is largely Tcl/Tk anyway. Doc
for Cells (the dataflow tool gluing the GUI together) is emerging.

Did I mention OpenGL? Hellasweet, that.

kenny

From: Ken Tilton
Ken Tilton wrote:

> Ken Tilton wrote:
>

>> ··········@gmail.com wrote:
>>
>>> I am looking to write simple little desktop apps for myself.
>>>
>>> I go here: http://www.cliki.net/GTK%20binding
>>>
>>> and I see 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ! sets of GTK+ bindings and I have no clue
>>> which one to use.  I like to use my utility applications for years.
>>>
>>> What do you guys and gals use?
>>>

>> Celtk. Hmm, maybe I better do some screen shots.

     http://www.tilton-technology.com/Celtk.html

Just the Togl widget, tho. I'll put up the Lotsawidgets demo shortly.

kt

From: Paolo Amoroso
Ken Tilton <·········@gmail.com> writes:

> Celtk. Hmm, maybe I better do some screen shots. This is Tcl/Tk (so

By the way, what is the minimum Tcl/Tk version required for running
Celtk?

Paolo
--
Why Lisp? http://wiki.alu.org/RtL%20Highlight%20Film
The Common Lisp Directory: http://www.cl-user.net
From: Ken Tilton
Paolo Amoroso wrote:
> Ken Tilton <·········@gmail.com> writes:
>

>>Celtk. Hmm, maybe I better do some screen shots. This is Tcl/Tk (so
>

> By the way, what is the minimum Tcl/Tk version required for running
> Celtk?

I am afraid I am a Tcl/Tk newby, as is Celtk, so I am not up on its
version history. Was there a major upheaval recently? esp. to the C API?
Hmmm, it is coming back to me -- the "object" API, the -data option on
"event generate"... ouch. you probably need 8.5.

kt