From: thomasmichaelsonsr
Subject: Lost soul , finally awaken
I can't say anything more about me  except that I wasted 35 years of my
life with
Fortran than Cobol than C than C++ than Java  than  it was  enaphe .
Thirty five lost years of damaging my brain with crup.
I  even tried  stupid Haskell, unsuccessfully  while solution was
always in front of me, Lisp.

Now with my listener and  copy of PCL I feel the long forgotten feeling
of actually
enjoying programming. Something  I didn't felt for  decades.

I can't understand how can you program in anything else after doing
Lisp?
Is situation with Lisp jobs is so bad that you have to do C-whatever
for living?
I mean when I even see a single Java class I feel nausea , I'm gonna
vomit on my boss?
How could you stand this crup?
I was  fool  , damn fool ,I couldn't even imagine what kind of
programmer could I become
if I wasn't worrying with the stupid statical typing all  my wasted
life.

Damn you !
I would retire as an expert programmer ,with bitter feelings but with
logical
excuse for them  that there was no other way of doing code.
No I really don't know where to go?

Tom

From: ··········@gmail.com
Subject: Re: Lost soul , finally awaken
thomasmichaelsonsr wrote:
> I can't say anything more about me  except that I wasted 35 years of my
> life with
> Fortran than Cobol than C than C++ than Java  than  it was  enaphe .
> Thirty five lost years of damaging my brain with crup.
> I  even tried  stupid Haskell, unsuccessfully  while solution was
> always in front of me, Lisp.
>
> Now with my listener and  copy of PCL I feel the long forgotten feeling
> of actually
> enjoying programming. Something  I didn't felt for  decades.
>
> I can't understand how can you program in anything else after doing
> Lisp?
> Is situation with Lisp jobs is so bad that you have to do C-whatever
> for living?
> I mean when I even see a single Java class I feel nausea , I'm gonna
> vomit on my boss?
> How could you stand this crup?
> I was  fool  , damn fool ,I couldn't even imagine what kind of
> programmer could I become
> if I wasn't worrying with the stupid statical typing all  my wasted
> life.
>
> Damn you !
> I would retire as an expert programmer ,with bitter feelings but with
> logical
> excuse for them  that there was no other way of doing code.
> No I really don't know where to go?
>
> Tom

I understand how you feel.  I went through this myself, feeling that I
had found something pure and wonderful.  After a while, I started to
realize that Lisp was just another programming language, and that it
was one in a long path of wonderful learning experiences for me.

C, C++, Java - they all serve their purpose.  C is simple and fast, C++
is C on steroids (and can be fun because of it), and Java is a strange
but nice jouney in language bastardization.

Even if you think I am full of crap, you have to eat.  I have not found
too many places looking for Lisp programmers, though I use it every day
to write my software tools.

Chris Parker
From: Tim X
···········@gmail.com" <··········@gmail.com> writes:

> Even if you think I am full of crap, you have to eat.  I have not found
> too many places looking for Lisp programmers, though I use it every day
> to write my software tools.

I think that is the most common way many of us get to use lisp -
writing tools to ease some of the pain using the languages we are
employed to program in.

However, if you have the conviction and luxury of being able to risk
financial security, I think people who believe lisp is the real deal
should get out there as either a contractor or create your own
company, produce software using lisp and make a living that way. For
me, this is how you can use lisp all the time and make a living.

There are two other important elements, both of which I seem to lack
these days and is why I've not done this (though its not ruled out
completely).

1. You need real energy, stamina and dedication. I had it in my 20s, a
   little less in my 30s and it slowly seems to have disapated in my
   40s. I find 60+ hour weeks just to draining now, but think they are
   a critical part of a new company or creating an environment in
   which you can use whatever tool you want as long as you produce the
   desired outcome.

2. Original ideas. These use to happen every other day once upon a
   time. Now it seems very rare for me to come up with a really
   original idea. I still have original thoughts and what I'd now call
   moments of truely original inspiration. However, I don't seem to
   get those full original project type ideas as frequently anymore.
   Often, the ones I do get turn out to be somewhat less than original
   and already done. I'm not sure if this is a product of being in the
   industry for too long and becoming somewhat jaded or if its just
   due to the amount of development going on or just due to my brain
   being addled after too many hours sitting in front of a monitor,
   too much coffee and too little real living!

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au
From: thomasmichaelsonsr
The language that packed 1438 lines of c/c++ in less than 200 lines
can't be  just a language, the algo is very  same,  so why lisp code is
 so compact ?
Tip: First order functions, macros , dynamic typing ... should I
continue
7 : 1 That's a very big win.

 And the speed is no issue , Lisp is some 28% slower (AT PEAK LOAD,
with normal load that drops for less than  15%), even without the ugly
type declarations and compiled with max safety. Just plane single
linked lists.

Actually the very idea of using shared lists makes Lisp code so fast.

All right Lisp memory  use is quite high but I believe that is because
of  automatic GC.
I'm too much of a newbie in Lisp to optimize memory use but I keep
these program to
show it to very idiot who says that Java /C#/Python ypu name it is the
real thing.
Stupid morons where they gonna learn.

tom